Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Test for spring ligament integrity?

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by LCG, Jul 19, 2006.

1. LCG

LCG Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Does anyone know of a specific clinical test to evalate the integrity (or lack of) the spring ligament??

2. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

Extremely difficult to isolate some passive structures in the foot with clinical testing.

It may be wise to first exclude via resistance testing, adjacent active musculo-tendinous structures. Even palpation would be difficult in that it would be almost impossible to rule out tenderness in an underlying or adjacent structure.

But what we should remember is that for the spring ligament to be strained/stretched/inflamed etc. that the forces and micro-motion involved would also affect similar tissues (in terms of role, function, and shared stress etc.)

If you are considering this, low dye taping should ease symptoms. Of course LDT will also unload the adjacent plantar fascia, tib-post tendon, and other adjacent plantar ligaments.

FWIW, I have never diagnosed a spring ligament injury. Maybe my assessment is not thorough enough; maybe it is impossible to isolate; maybe somewhere in between.

Ron

3. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Medial Heel Lateral Push Test: The First Clinical Examination of Spring Ligament Integrity
    Chandra Pasapula, Adam Devany, Ahmed Magan, A. Memarzadeh, V. Pasters, S. Sherrif
    The Foot; Article in Press

4. stevewells

stevewells Active Member

Can anyone describe this test please?

5. Steve:

Here is a paper from the same authors for a "neutral heel push test". I don't know if the "medial heel push test" is the same test. I believe a test like this would have a lot of false positives.

Attached Files:

6. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

Got some pictures attached. The diagnosis is often suspected with damage to the posterior tibial tendon. Palpation of the ligament can assist too. The MRI will shed more light on this. Ultimately the structure is evaluated intra-operatively.

Kevin, I believe this is the correct paper which was incorrectly titled.

Attached Files:

7. Like I said before, I think an examiner will have very many false positives using this test. What if the patient simply has a more compliant spring ligament, and not a torn one. Will this test be able to discriminate between the two? I doubt it.

8. stevewells

stevewells Active Member

Thanks Kevin

9. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

Kevin,

Perhaps the test is performed also under the presumption a ligament tear will provoke a pain response on testing and / or the test is compared to the contralateral side. But I agree in principle. Of limited value.