Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatrist's $4,378 bill for hourlong visit stuns patient, other physicians

Discussion in 'USA' started by NewsBot, Nov 5, 2007.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel are reporting:
    Podiatrist's $4,378 bill for hourlong visit stuns patient, other physicians
    Full story

2. NewsBot

Articles:
    Update on this story from The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
    Update: Foot doctor's former patients, others sound off
    Link to story

3. NewsBot

Articles:
    The The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel are reporting:
    Update: State has yet to review podiatrist's billing
    Link to story

4. Dr_Shibu

Dr_Shibu Member

"He billed $265 for a 'new patient fee.' That's at least twice what most podiatrists bill, Frydman said."
    I am assuming this fee is a new patient visit (E&M). I am sure prices vary from one area to another but I do not think $265 is twice what most podiatrists would charge for an initial visit in New York.

There are podiatrists in New York that charge 2-3 times what other podiatrists charge in the same borough. If the practice generates a patient population that is willing to pay those charges, I do not see anything imoral or illegal about it except for the following.
    I'm not sure about Wisconsin, but in New York you are obliged to charge everyone the same thing regardless of insurance company or if it is self pay (unless you are waiving part of the bill because the patient can not afford it). The doctor above does seem to be varying his bills with each patient. I think this is more of an issue.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  5. NewsBot

Articles:
    Here is the latest on this story:

JSOnline are reporting:
    High-priced doctor not measuring up to state order, still collecting from patients

6. NewsBot

Articles:
    The above story was from 2008, Here is the latest story:
    Podiatrist's fees shock patients
    Doctor sets rates far higher than insurance

Full story from The Wisconsin Journal Sentinel

7. NewsBot

Articles:
  8. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

Probably a little British naivety but in America, do patients walk through the door knowing they are going to have to pay sums of money even of three or four hundred dollars plus a new patient fee, ie do they know before hand how much they are going to have to pay?

Bill

9. NewsBot

Articles:
    Attorney General files lawsuit against podiatrist Dr. Lanham
    Full story

10. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

I should have read the first article a little more thoroughly.

The suggestion seems to be that there is a problem with transparency in podiatry costs but that this issue is being addressed?

So I take it that the answer to my own question is 'No patients do not know beforehand how much they are going to have to pay' although they might get a feel from it from previous knowledge of the same podiatrist or another podiatrist.

I can see that when you have a broad range of activities and you bill per item it is more difficult to tell a patient before hand what the final bill will be although I would think that if they had access to the podiatrist's itemised list of costs they could make a pretty could stab at it.

I wonder why there is an ongoing lack of transparency?

Bill