Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Barefoot running questionnaire

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by J Klooster, Apr 27, 2011.

1. J Klooster

J Klooster Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Dear barefoot runners,

As you may know the incidence of running injuries is high. In the past years barefoot running has become very popular. And it is believed that barefoot running has a positive influence on the incidence of running injuries. However, scientific prove is still lacking.

We conduct a study in which we try to gain insight into the effects of barefoot running on injury incidence. In this study we compare running injuries of barefoot runners to runners who use running shoes.

We are looking for habitual barefoot runners, or runners who use minimalistic shoes, who want to fill in the questionnaire in the link below. It will only take 5-10 minutes of your time. All participants can be kept informed on the results of this study by filling in their e-mail address in the questionnaire. This is completely optional.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFhLc3Nvb25VQmh0X2VDWEZQdFVoTVE6MQ

This research is part of my bachelor thesis for Human Movement Sciences at the University of Groningen in partnership with the Center for Sports Medicine of the University Medical Center Groningen.

Thank you beforehand for your cooperation and time

Jesper Klooster

2. Griff

Griff Moderator

Jesper,

I am not sure the questions you have asked in your questionnaire will allow you to validly compare running injuries between the barefoot and shod condition. I am also not sure that posting your message here gives you a chance of a reasonable response rate (how many 'barefoot runners' actually regularly read Podiatry Arena?? Not many would be my guess)

Nonetheless, best of luck with your thesis.

Ian

3. J Klooster

J Klooster Welcome New Poster

Dear Ian,

thank you for your reply.

The study that I'm conducting is a pilot study for a prospective cohort study, that the University and center for sports medicine are planning to conduct.
    I'm going to compare the results of the questionnaire with previous scientific research on running-related injuries with shod runners.

Also I'm aware of the lower validity of a retrospective study like this one, but because of a time and funding constraint it is the most valid option available at this time. Also this is not the only forum that I have posted on.

Jesper

4. Griff

Griff Moderator

Hi Jesper,

That's good to hear. A well designed prospective study is what everyone is waiting for. Do keep us posted on things as they progress.

I think the main thing I'd be aware of in a self report study such as your pilot is the inherent bias that is likely. It may be a little bit like a social desirability bias, where the respondents want their answers to be viewed favourably by others (within the 'barefoot community')

Remember that a lot of the barefoot running community want nothing more than for scientific studies to finally confirm what they think they know already. Will this influence the way they fill out their questionnaires? Perhaps. Perhaps not. just something to consider.

5. toriajohn

toriajohn Member

Hi Jesper,

Any result/ patterns emerging from your questionnaire?

Please post your findings as the subject is still causing debate