Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Serial casting for internal tibial torsion

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by Kate Roberts, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Kate Roberts

Kate Roberts Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Advice is needed here. I have been doing some reading on paediatric lower limb rotational problems. With respect to internal tibial position, this appears to be a condition only recognised by podiatry and even within podiatry, recognition and treatment via serial casting appears to be out of fashion.

Does anyone have any opinion, suggestions and/or knowledge of this subject?

Kate

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2004
  2. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

This message was cross posted on JSIC Podiatry Mal list. Here are 3 responses:

3. admin

Another reply:

4. admin

Another response:

5. Kate Roberts

internal tibial position

I will have mislead people by mentioning both internal tibial torsion and position. Orthopaedics and Physio do recognise the torsion but not the position. I have discussed it with my local orthopaedic paediatric consultant who is interested in the concept of internal tibial position but is not aware of it as a condition that may need serial casting. The physio who works with him only does serial casting for talipes conditions. It has become an issue for my dept because the role of serial casting for internal tibial position has been taken away from Podiatry based on a lack of evidence. There is now a drive by this consultant to include podiatrists in his paediatric orthopaedic clinic re serial casting for metatarsus adductus and if the evidence supports it, perhaps internal tibial position. I have tried to find evidence re this but it is quite old. If anyone out there is doing such work I would appreciate the cahnce of discussing it with you.

6. admin

Another response from JISC Podiatry:
    Thanks to the authors for permission to copy these messages.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  7. admin

Another post:

8. admin

Another reply:

9. admin

More replies:

10. admin

More responses:

11. admin

12. admin

More replies:

13. admin

Another post:

14. Jbwheele

Jbwheele Active Member

Gait Plates

Hi Kate,

I took part in a great Biomech short course run by ICB (icbmedical.com)and the speaker was quite confident about using gait plates to help create external / internal torsion to the lower leg.

Just a thought.

Cheers JOE

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2005
  15. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    They need to go and read the evidence... but then what would you expect from a company that used to claim on their website that they are endorsed by the Australian Biomechanics Associaton (....which does not exist! :cool: ) .. ...

16. Kate Roberts

Kate

Thanks for all these comments. Why is it that, if the use of splinting has been used for so long, there is very little evidence to support it? Comments have been made that suggest the splinting can be effective for both pseudo-malleolar torsion ( a condition I know as Internal Tibial Position and Medial Genicular Rotation ) and the bony Internal Tibial Torsion. No one has mentioned the use of serial casting for the soft tissue internal rotation. In the mid 80's this treatment was being recommended by eminent Podiatrists. What am I missing? Are there any recommendations for gold standard papers on the subject of tibial spinting? Kate