Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Tibial nerve block to promote plantar diabetic ulcer healing

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by Guito, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Guito

Guito Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am currently treating a 61 year old mildly obese diabetic male. He has a pressure ulcer plantar to his 2nd met head. I have been treating him for over 6 months with debriding and deflecting pressure away from the 2nd met head. He is progressing OK and we are generally winning. It started out as 1cm diameter and deep and is now very shallow and 2-3mm diameter. His ulcer's progression can take a step backwards if he does a lot of walking/ standing on his feet.

I have been considering lately the option of a tibial nerve block with 0.5% Bupivicaine for prolonged hyperaemia to accelerate healing. Has anyone had experience with serial injections for this and whether it made a difference to ulcer healing rates.

Gracias

Guito

2. Guito

Guito Member

I forgot to mention his Post tibial pulse is WNL (2-3/3). His rear and midfoot skin temperature is warm and his forefoot is cool. SCVPFT is WNL.

3. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

Guito

So how again do you think this is going to help? Essentially you are saying that his arterial perfusion is pretty normal. I assume his 2nd MT head lesion is purely neuropathic and mechanical in origin.

Offload, offload, offload some more.

LL

4. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

I would say that tibial nerve blocks can be useful when vasoconstriction is occurring due to the sympathetic NS in over drive in cases like regional complex pain syndrome. A tibial block in this case will cause a temporary symp block allowing vasodilation and increased blood flow.

Giving a tibial block when the sympathetics are working fine will not help. To heal the wound is to off-load the underlying metatarsal. I would commonly surgically elevate the metatarsal and excise the ulcer and this worked well long-term. I would not remove the met head as this would only lead to excess pressure on the adjacent bone. I would do the surgery when proper shoes and accommodative orthotics was ineffective.

When I wanted to cause vasodilation when vasospasm is present, I would Rx Nitroglycerin ointment 2%. I would have the patient apply a thin layer over the Post Tib nerve and this would cause hyperemia without the injections.

I think the major point is to treat the underlying etiology and in this case its not vascular related but pressure related. Find a way to resolve the pressure on a permanent basis and for the next 6 weeks, keep the foot NWB.

Steven

5. Guito

Guito Member

Thanks Steven and LL for replies and advice.

Guito

6. kitos

kitos Active Member

It's early in the morning. I have a full clinic today and my brain is full of it.

Please someone tell me what SCVPFT means?

Life is difficult enough without even more abbreviations.:bang:

thanks
    Nick

7. Guito

Guito Member

Subcutaneous venous plexus filling time

8. kitos

kitos Active Member

Thanks Guito. I am very grateful for your response, it's worried me all day :)

Nick