Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

The search for a happy podiatrist

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Cameron, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    neitzens

"O wad some Power the gift tae gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!"
    Robert Burns

I seem to recall a long long time ago attending a conference on business practice and being told by the expert we should all sentence ourselves to half an hour sitting in our waiting area. Well here is a consumer who has.

Not a pretty sight.
    http://louisearmstrong58.blogspot.com/2008/09/happy-feet.html

toeslayer

2. William Fowler

William Fowler Active Member

Thats really scary!

3. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Here is part of the story:
    More

4. perrypod

perrypod Active Member

I read this ladies blog bleary eyed with my morning cup of tea and thought Oh Dear! Then I realised she was a journalist who read peoples diaries without their permission. As anyone who has been misquoted by any in her profession know they are often economical with fact and generous with opinion.

5. shellyvortex

shellyvortex Member

It seems these days that blogs are the only way aspiring writers have any hope of getting noticed - and that's without any hope of publication. Some relevant yet random information: the writer of the film 'Juno' was 'discovered' via her blog on the sex work industry - and this film became her first piece placed in the public arena - a brilliant film it is too.

Sadly it seems to have inspired the likes of Ms Armstrong to follow suit. I read her 'happy feet?' blog & wondered what exactly she is hoping will be discovered via her entries?...the great british trait of complaining to those who listen but losing those all assertive skills when in the situations she liberally complains about on her blog? Once again I am astounded by people's inability to deal with 1-1 situations..i wonder if she's noticed a pattern to her behaviour??!:D

6. ja99

ja99 Active Member

economical with fact...heh heh heh :good:

7. cornmerchant

cornmerchant Well-Known Member

I suspect that her blog reflects the actual experience she had- how would she know how to make it up unless she had actually gone through the process?

If that is the case and I can quite see how it could be true, then it is a very poor reflection on the profession as a whole.

I know that most of us posting on here are probably fine podiatrists and not guilty of the blogged offences- however , there are many many Pods who are oblivious to standards, do not interact with other colleagues, and run a business to suit themselves, and not the regulations! They have probably avoided the audit this time round and are taking their chances for the next one in 2010!

In my area I know some of these conditions exist- nothing I can do about it - it is down to the individual to complain.

Cornmerchant

8. perrypod

perrypod Active Member

Writers of fiction do not have to actually go through a specific process to write a convincing story. It may be the intention of her blog to inform, or it may be trying to initiate collective guilt. If the intention is the latter then it has failed.

9. Johnpod

Johnpod Active Member

As I understand it a blog is a biographical log. It is therefore much more likely to be a report from life-experience rather than fiction.

I, too, recognise some of the characteristics portrayed from reports made to me by patients and colleagues about other workers in my locality. No doubt the clientelle that float between practices have expressed something to my colleagues of their experience of me!

It is a useful talent, to be able to see ourselves as others see us. That, in itself, is rare enough.

To take action to ensure that we are not seen in the wrong light takes greater effort - effort that not every practitioner is prepared to make. Some of us are challenged by our own character (in the wrong job) and will find it difficult to please at all.

However, human nature is just that. Certainly, nobody can please all of the people all of the time.

10. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

I can empathise with her. Over the last 20 or so years, I have come across every one of them.

11. William Fowler

William Fowler Active Member

Just a thought - How many were actually HPC registered chiropodists and how many were FHP's? And does she know the difference?

12. Johnpod

Johnpod Active Member

Throughout the blog she uses the term 'Chiropodist'.

And ..."Chiropodist number five who had an MA and a sparkly clean room, but she charged £25 and left my toenails all ragged."

Just a thought - is your question paticularly relevant to this discussion? Should we not focus on our occupation?