Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatric surgery training

Discussion in 'Foot Surgery' started by AUStudent, Jun 11, 2006.

1. AUStudent

AUStudent Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Im an Australian 3rd year podiatry student, and am interested in studying pod surgery. I have researched all the possibilities of studying in Australia and am a little disheartened. I realise that its not as straight forward as studying abroad. I have relatives in England and my fiance can get a green card to live and work in America. What organisation or colleges do I need to contact to get info on possibly studying in these countries. Ill need to get info on what the entry requirements etc are. Does Australia accept UK or US pod surgeons, will I ever be able to work in Aust if I do study abroad?

2. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

In the UK, you have no choice but do a similar program to Australia. In the US, you will have no choice but start at the beginning (ie 4yr DPM degree, then 2-3 yr residency). When you return to Australia, you will need to go through the exam process; submit cases and be observed.

See this thread:
    Australian Pod surgery training

In the UK, contact the Facult of Surgery of the Society
    In the USA, you need to start with the American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine

3. AUStudent

AUStudent Member

Thanx

Thankyou, Ive emailed these organisations and await their reply.

4. butters

butters Welcome New Poster

opportunities for pod surgery in oz

gday there 3rd year student. i am a current registrar with the ACPS and my advice if you choose to stay in australia is to be patient...there is now strong competition in this country for training positions and this will not change. all you can do is enrol in post grad studies as directed by the ACPS and wait until a position becomes available. it is definitely in your best interest to spend some time in theatre observing some surgery and talking to the current group about future opportunties...good luck.