Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Marijuana and Wound Healing

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by Rick K., Nov 4, 2009.

1. Rick K.

Rick K. Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Obviously, tobacco and nicotine have a inhibitory effect on wound healing, but has anyone seen anything published in a medical journal that demonstrates whether marijuana has any deleterious effect on healing? I did a brief search and found nothing that was published about the subject - other than at marijuana proponent web sites that say how it does everything but clean the kitchen sink.

Had a patient ask me just after I had done a third toe amputation for a nonhealing ulcer with distal osteomyelitis about whether it was okay for him to smoke a little "weed". I have often implored patients to help me to help them by stopping smoking tobacco, but this was one I have not been hit with before.:D

2. Anecdotally I've heard it said that marijuana is more carcinogenic than tobacco. However, usually it is smoked less frequently by users, hence, a likely overall risk of cancer. It has also been said that the level of natural tars is the key factor that they use to determine this carcinogenicity. Unrelated to wound healing but good to know. I'd be interested to see which study this is taken from.

As for the wound healing issue, I would be wary myself given the same situation as your patient. The physiological impact on tissues would be similar I would only have to hazard a guess, given there are very similar consequences in the COPD adverse effects for both marijuana and tobacco. I can only assume ethics approval for a study which would ascertain the impact of marijuana on wound healing would be pretty tricky in the US. I suppose its just one of those things where we might have to wait for a population-based study that might crop up. Although I wouldn't hesitate to state that its a risk I wouldn't take personally if I were having digits amputated. Nor is the effects mechanically and chemically on O2 reuptake in the lungs something that can be ignored.

3. Saab

Saab Member

Hi yall,

A friend of mine is a medical equipment rep and during one of the seminars he attended approx two weeks ago, a prominant orthopaedic surgeon stressed that he would not operate on hip replacement patients who smoked marijuana because it ALWAYS lead to non healing and unsatisfactory result.

I'll see if I can get his name and more info if your interested.

Steve

4. Sarah B

Sarah B Active Member

Hello All

A bit late in on this, I know; but I thought it worth pointing out that marijuana is often (though not always) mixed with regular tobacco. In which case, the smoker has the effects of both plants to contend with. Not worth the risk, in my opinion...

Sarah

5. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Active Member

How did you know that? Are you speaking from personal experience or did you hear it from a friend? ;) ;) ;)

6. Well I guess you don't do much horse-riding either. If you are inclined, you could always try cooking with cannabis. Try melting 5oz of butter and add 1oz of good quality cannabis resin (pollen, nepalese, lebanese) and heat until the cannabis is fully disolved. Add 6 tablespoons of maple syrup, 1tsp cocco powder, 1 pkt of crushed digestives, 1 pkt crushed nuts, 1 pkt of dried blueberries - mix well and press into the base of a cooking tin then stick in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Remove and cover with melted orange chocolate.

Not that I've tried it, of course, but quite a few of my patients swear by it and there's no inhibitory effect of wound healing either.;)

7. Gosh, that was a blast. What year is it?

8. marijuana123

marijuana123 Welcome New Poster

Medical marijuana aids in the healing of wounds. The CB1 and CB2 receptors both reduce blood concentration. The endocannabinoid system aids in the healing of internal organ injuries by containing receptors that aid in the internal healing of the wound. Marijuana is also beneficial in the treatment of AIDS, seizures, severe nausea, wasting syndrome, glaucoma, and other diseases. THC in cannabis also aids with pain relief. You must first register for a medical marijuana card online in order to obtain medical marijuana. With the caregiver ID, you must be a resident of that nation. You will receive your chosen marijuana card based on your doctor's advice.