Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Things you wish you hadn't said to your pt

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by Peter, May 16, 2008.

1. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Thought I would share this with you.

I recently had a child with with bilateral mallet toes of the 2nd digits. Before fetching the camera I informed the little girl that I was going to "snap her feet".

I did manage to tell her that I was going to photograph them for evidnce of improvement , just before she started to cry.:wacko:

Any other things that peolpe have said to their pts and wished they hadn't?

2. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

Yep, "Good morning"

3. Phil Wells

Phil Wells Active Member

Keep on using the term 'deep throat' when describing to patients the attributes of footwear for orthoses.
    Get a few startled looks from patients and am expecting an HPC hearing soon for sexual misconduct (God I hope not!!!!)

Phil

4. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

A few years ago (& I'm not saying how many) I realised that I had not booked the day off for my 30th birthday.

Off to work I went deciding that I would make my day a little brighter by wearing my ''Happy Birthday'' badge from one of my cards.

BIG smile :D & call in 1st patient of the day.

Man looked at my badge & his eyes filled with tears.
    ''My grandson would have been 21 today if he had lived.''

Needless to say I removed the badge.

5. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

Dear All,

Godd morning , how are you today?

An innocent well meaning greeting BUT!

45 minutes later they are still telling you how they are ................::wacko::craig:

So to the next pt :boxing:

Good morning and isnt it a beautiful day.

this usually works.

regards David

6. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

" I can fix that"

Steve

7. milo2145

milo2145 Member

1. me ;-" be careful, i saw a weird looking tramp outside",
    patient - "yes thats my son he came to pick me up"

2. me - "hows youre husband"
    patient " i told you last time hes dead"

just two of many

8. brevis

brevis Active Member

" If you have any hassles dont be afraid to call......"

me"take off the dressing in around 2 days Michael"
    pt- "OK then, and my name is Meredith"

9. brevis

brevis Active Member

.....and its important to never act interested when a patient says they have a new tatoo. You may be scarred for life

10. pscotne

pscotne Active Member

:sinking: Me: "Good morning..."
    Patient: "No it's not!" :confused:

PS-T in bright, sunny Queensland.

11. Denny

Denny Member

me - your daughter is here to collect you
    pt - actually that's my wife

I never assume anything anymore!

12. Dr. DSW

Dr. DSW Active Member

Yes,

Me: "Congratulations, when's the baby due?"

Patient: "I'm not pregnant."

13. pscotne

pscotne Active Member

:D AND...what about this?

Me: "G'day mate!"
    Patient: "I'm not ya mate!"
    :boohoo:

14. zaffie

zaffie Active Member

What about "I'll see your mother now"

"thats not my mother thats my wife"

:eek:

15. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

I often regret not saying to the incoming pt. what items of clothing need be disrobed ie. hosiery only! Yesterday (my desk faces away from the pt chair) I turned around to (yet again in my 20 year experience) find the dear old girl had stripped from belly-button down. After consciously forcing my breakfast back to its rightful place in my stomach, I managed to throw a drape over her nether regions. Thank heavens podiatry only deals with "distal to the knee" problems.

16. LeonW

LeonW Active Member

I find just saying things that always work is the way to go
    Try not to say the social stuff that requires any input from them because it just gets in the way oh and don't ask them social personal questions .
    eg: saying
    Good morning?
    How are u?
    Nice day today ?
    How u been?
    Hows the wife/hubby
    Are all asking for trouble
    Using statements are better like
    Thanks for coming in today

17. I'm intrigued Phil - can you explain in graphic detail please???

18. Mike Plank

Mike Plank Active Member

Keep that padding on for as long as you can. 12 weeks later it's still attached to their foot. Gag!:eek:

19. Phil Wells

Phil Wells Active Member

God no!!!!!

20. Pompy

Pompy Member

Unfortunately I recall 2 very awkward things I have said to 2 of my patients.

1/ I lead a vision impaired new patient to my clinic room. . . .
    I ask her to take a seat and I introduce myself saying,,,
    "Hi, my name is 'x', I don't think you've seen me before."
    :wacko:

2/ Following a treatment, I offer to help a patient get up off the treatment chair without thinking by saying - "Do you need a hand?"
    Unfortunately said patient had had a below elbow amputation.
    :wacko:

21. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Don't worry too much. I studied (education) with a totally unsighted chap who said that blind people also say 'Nice to see you' and the like. Even today with all our 'politically correct' nonsense, people still have a sense of humour; I recall my father telling me of a friend whose face and head had been terribly burned in an accident and who happily answered to 'Lugless Douglas'.

Bill Liggins

22. efuller

efuller MVP

I had a blind couple in. I told him that he had plantar fasciitis and he asked how one gets plantar fasciitis. I started to explain that I had written an article about it and it had some wonderful pictures in it that I would love to be able to show him.
    When leaving he bumped into her and she said, "What are you? Blind?" in a sarcastic tone. Then they both laughed.

Eric