Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Foot Pain in a Podiatry student

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by suzilobo, Apr 29, 2005.

1. suzilobo

suzilobo Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all I'm a 2nd yr podiatry student and just wondered if I could call upon your expertise. Last month I suddenly started to get an aching pain around my right 5th MTPJ in the morning, when I first weightbear on the foot. It lasts for the first 10 minutes or so then subsides. Gradually it has become more persistent so that I feel the pain throughout the day and evening.
    I first thought the pain was localised lateral to the 5th MTPJ because it felt tender, I now feel that the pain is actually proximal to the 5th MTPJ, because squeezing the right 5th MTPJ doesn't elicit any pain anymore. What is worrying me is that the pain is associated with a restriction in motion (I suspect) in the articulation between the Cuboid/base of left 5th, or the calcaneocuboid joint. when I first weightbear in the morning, it feels as though that lateral side of the foot doesn't want to move, it feels restricted and painful and intially forces me to avoid propulsing through the foot for the first several steps. There is no cerpitus, swelling or wamth, and I have not experienced any recent trauma to attribute to it. I just wondered if its something any of you have come across - or at least you might want a challenge.

Look forward to any ideas

2. dmd31842

dmd31842 Member

Sorry to hear about your problem. Most lateral foot pain such as you describe is usually due to wearing improper shoes for a certain activity. For example, if you like to wear "boat shoes" and spend alot of time on your feet, etc., etc. I would suggest you spend the next week or so wearing supportive sneakers all of the time and see if your pain lessens. if not, speak to one of your instructors and persuade him/her to give a look. Good Luck!
    David M. Davidson, DPM

3. GarethNZ

GarethNZ Active Member

Without asking more questions and assessing in person...

I would suggest that the articulation between the 5th met and cuboid is probably stiff/or stiffer compared to the other foot. It sounds similar to a cuboid syndrome type problem that would be helped via some strong manipulations and a light low-dye taping for a few days.

Your best bet is to get assessed by one of your lecturers...it is a good way to start learing more about Podiatry if you are suffering from complaints that you will very soon be treating yourself.

Good luck!

4. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

Youre right Gareth. Not many mechanical foot conditions that low dye taping isn't neutral/positive for.

5. suzilobo

suzilobo Welcome New Poster

Foot pain

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm gonna grab the opportunity to discuss it with one of my lecturers as you say, and try the low dye taping. I'll let you know how I get on. Like one of you said - this is an ideal learning opportunity and because its more personal to me - it makes it more interesting!

suzilobo

6. If it's not in the top 40, think shoes

Hello,

I've found that many unusual presentations, especially those not trauma provoked which worsen, are due to shoe foibles. Once you eliminate the nebulous (and embarrassing if you miss it) possibility of atrhridity or referred pain, think shoes.

I observe and carefully palpate these sites for irregularities. I always ask patients if they have nocturnal pain. I might also take an X-ray to make sure there's nothing growing in there.

You may have been wearing a particular pair of shoes more often than before. If so, simply stop them and see if you improve. You can go back and inspect them for spillover sole, welts impinging Joplin's sites, topline pressure on the sural n., seams from the upper incising the 5th mtp, etc.

Please let us know the upshot.

All best,

TN