Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

CMT- Treating ankle weakness/ instability

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by phil, Aug 9, 2006.

1. phil

phil Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    As a new grad, its a bit scary when you have those "what on earth am i going to do here!!" moments. Had one the other day...

Can anyone give me advice RE improving ankle stability in CMT patients. What kind of ankle bracing, AFOs, etc have people found useful/ no good.

There's a mountain of products out there, i'm just wondering what people have had most, and least, sucess with.

Thanks.

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. Phil - you could try the SAFO by Dorset Orthopaedics http://www.dorset-ortho.co.uk/index.php?page=1000042 . My experience over the past three years with this product has been extremely positive. Contact Matthew Hughes or Bob Watts for further info. +44 (0) 1425 480065

Mark Russell

4. Mark Egan

Mark Egan Active Member

Mark

Have contacted the SAFO group re a polio patient of mine who happened to be going to the UK last year. They (SAFO) were concerned about how the patient would tolerate the device in the heat and humidity of Queensland, also the cost around $2000 for one foot was of concern. With that said I think it looks like a fantastic device.

Phil I suppose the big questions are how far has it progressed and what is the patient willing to do eg. shoes, exercises and braces. Have any xrays been taken and has the option of surgery been discussed?

Cheers

5. Josh Burns

Josh Burns Active Member

Dear Phil,
    Perhaps you can supply some more details about your CMT patient:
    1. CMT Type? (there are 53 types!)
    2. Foot deformity - typical pes cavus or pes planus or 'normal'
    3. Foot drop?
    4. Symptoms besides 'ankle instability'? e.g. pain, functional limitation, etc.
    5. Demographics - age, gender, occupation, etc.

I have done some work on the assessment and treatment of patients with CMT and would be happy to help,
    Kind regards

Joshua Burns PhD, B App Sc (Pod) Hons
    NHMRC Australian Clinical Research Fellow
    Institute for Neuromuscular Research, The Children's Hospital at Westmead
    Conjoint Senior Lecturer, Discipline of Paediatrics and Child Health
    Faculty of Medicine, The University of Sydney, Australia

Email: joshuab2@chw.edu.au

6. efuller

efuller MVP

It is important to look at the direction of instibility. If there is muscle weakness is one group more effected than others. In addition, you have to look at STJ axis location. If the patient has weak peronals, it is much more of a problem if they have a laterally deivated STJ axis than if they have a medially deviated STJ axis, because the ground is much more likely to cause a supination moment in the laterally deviated STJ axis foot. So, if it is a supination related problem then you need to add pronation moments in your treatment. (Valgus forefoot and rearfoot wedges) An ankle stirup lilke an aircast can be helpful for both inversion and eversion instablilty. You can go up from there to AFO's Ritchie Braces which have ankle hinges to allow ankle motion, but will prevent inversion.

I've seen CMT patients with weak peronals with pronation related problems. So, you should look at the foot and not just think CMT = Lateral instability.

Eric