Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Are we doomed to repeat ourselves?

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by Cameron, Jul 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    netizens

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.” Edmund Burke

Despite serious attempts to locate same there is a dearth of writing on the political history of the podiatry profession. Clearly developments made in the last half a century have seen major changes in the practice of podiatry yet there appears to be little attempt to record the socio-political history of how this came about. This is regrettable and as Burke reminds us, we (rank and file) may be doomed to make the same mistakes again (and again). These comments are particularly pertinent to UK, Australia and New Zealand but may also apply elsewhere. The roles of the professional associations, independents and the registration authorities whilst clear are often misinterpreted based on what went before as opposed to how it rolls now and this appears to me to frequently lead to an (unnecessary) impasse of us and them.

What say you?
    toeslayer

2. happybanana

happybanana Member

Then what is your suggested course of action?
    (Australian) Should a select group be writing the history? What if they select to omit certain details? Right now I feel there is a lot of verbal history, with no one ever getting the full picture, especially with all the he/she said

3. Hi Syd

An early plug then for "Footnotes - An Intent to Deceive" which will be published later this year. Granted, it has a narrow focus but thanks to your good self and many others, it gives good commentary on the last three decades in the UK for the profession and the problems that impede development of the profession in line with the US and Australia. And a good bit of scandal of course...mum's the word.

4. I might add that the progression of the podiatric profession in Spain within the last decade has been remarkable. Therefore, Spain may be the best country to look if another country wants a model of how to make very significant, positive changes to their country's podiatric profession within a relatively short time.

5. happybanana

happybanana Member

I can't wait to read it, especially as a final year student, it would be great to know the history of my profession as I become a part of it

6. happybanana

happybanana Member

Dr. Kirby, could you please elaborate regarding Podiatry in Spain or refer me to some further reading?

7. Over the past ten years of lecturing in Spain, I have noticed a dramatic increase in podiatric surgical privileges, podiatric research and podiatrists gaining PhDs in research when compared to other countries I lecture in. I don't think any other country's podiatric profession has progressed so much in so short a period of time as Spain.

These are only personal observations of mine, and, as far as I know, are not published findings. Sometimes the younger podiatric professions in countries who just recently "acquired" podiatry programs can advance at a much faster rate when compared to those countries where podiatry has been around for a few generations and that contain many individuals who are entrenched in their ideas, methods and thought processes. These individuals generally don't like to see the "status quo" changed around their secure and comfortable positions of authority.

8. There's a lot in what you say, Kevin. The one advantage developing nations have is they start with a clean sheet - and if they're enlightened enough to observe other podiatry delivery systems and design their own to high standards, then you see just what is possible.