Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

BNF App and Athens Account

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Karen Knightly, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Karen Knightly

Karen Knightly Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    There is a free App for the BNF available, but you need an OpenAthens Account to sign in with in order to actually access the contents. Does anyone know if Podiatrists in Private Practice who don't have contracts with the NHS, are able to obtain an OpenAthens Account?

Any help would be appreciated thanks

2. blinda

blinda MVP

Hi Karen,

This has been a bugbear of mine for some time now and I have expressed this on more than one occasion to Council members of the SCP.

Private practitioners, who are not employed by either the NHS or any other NHS commissioned care provider organisation, nor undertaking a Masters or PhD are not eligible for Athens accounts. Yet, our HCPC registration (and SCP membership) demands that we keep up-to-date with and utilise evidenced based practice...how do we do that if we are denied access to such evidence?

This is one of the biggest stumbling blocks that I come across whilst undertaking lit reviews for research. Another brick wall that prevents PP`s from undertaking and publishing any meaningful research.

Have a good weekend!

Bel

3. Karen Knightly

Hi Bel,

Thank you for your reply, I've searched and searched on this thinking that surely, we should be able to have access to this, especially in view of prescribing rights etc.
    I seem to remember back when I was a student we hard copies of BNF's for reference purposes, I don't see any difference with being able to use the modern equivalent now, some 20 years later.

It should surely be the responsibility of the SCP to make sure that we all have access to this facility, especially given the requirements that we are expected to keep up to date.
    What has been the response of the SCP to your enquiries/requests for this?

Karen

4. blinda

blinda MVP

5. Karen Knightly

Oh.....helpful then!

6. Griff

Griff Moderator

I've always preferred a real version of the BNF anyway. But then I like books and have also refused to move to kindle.

Drop into your local hospital pharmacy department the week or so after the newest version has been released (two a year) and they'll often give you a copy of the edition that has just been superseded.

7. N.Knight

N.Knight Active Member

Just a note to say the BNF is going to be released annually instead in 6 monthly

You can buy a BNF from http://www.pharmpress.com/bnf or as Ian has said pop to your local pharmacy or GP surgery.

Nick

8. Karen Knightly

Thanks Ian and Nick for your input, I will probably do that, it's just that I love modern technology and the convenience of apps :)

Karen

9. MartinJ

MartinJ Member

Hi All...

I always buy them on Amazon...

BNF67 (the present one) was just over £35 delivered HERE

As opposed to £45 delivered from pharmpress!! Worthwhile when you are buying a few.

Martin :)

10. Griff

Griff Moderator

Think I'll stick with free copies...

11. Liz Salem

Liz Salem Member

Hi

When last we looked at getting OpenAthens accounts for SCP members through the Union Learning Project the cost was in excess of £70K plus subs for the journals. Something the Project could not afford to fund.

For information, membership of the Royal Society of Medicine would give access to OpenAthens at a cost of about £195 per annum.

Liz