Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Meb Keflezighi Heel Strikes His Way to a 2:09 Boston Marathon

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Kevin Kirby, Apr 28, 2011.

1. N.Beena

N.Beena Welcome New Poster

I have been on this site for a little while now, reading posts and getting more informed and taking in what i consider to be valuable information from respected professionals on this site. I have one year left in my Podiatry degree before graduation and one of the things i very much enjoy about this site is looking at what can appear to be 'opinions' on podiatric matters and then reading a few articles on related topics and broadening my knowledge and understanding of the things discussed here.

Personally i can't thank Kevin enough for the understanding that he has provided me through his posts that have truly helped in my studies, even if i never post on here. Though some topics have more evidence than others, theories do start out as ideas (and possibly opinions, then?) and then as studies are carried out they get into the books and become what our lecturers are teaching us.

A lot of these topics provide ideas for post-grad research and are all very exciting. Thus, i do in all honesty think that perhaps Dana, the focus should not be on trying to shut out ideas or try to completely disregard the things posted on here, especially by those who have been in the field a very long time and who know more than i can even comprehend in my young under-grad mind.

Thank you again all for your thoughts on all these matters and the referring articles you provide that give us under-grads something to think about and perhaps conduct further research on in the future.

2. Dana Roueche

Dana Roueche Well-Known Member

This made me laugh out loud, posted on birthdayshoes.com:

Keflezighi will be running in the World Marathon Majors (including the 2011 ING New York City Marathon), road races, and Olympic Trials through August 2012 exclusively in SKECHERS Fitness performance footwear featuring the Company's innovative SmartShoe(TM) mid-foot strike technology for serious athletes and active enthusiasts. Keflezighi will also be consulting on the development of performance product and SKECHERS expects to coordinate the launches of exciting new competition-ready running lines with his professional racing appearances.

"SKECHERS' new performance shoes change the way I run for the better," said Keflezighi. "I've been a heel strike runner my entire life, but I am now wearing SKECHERS to maximize the efficiency of my foot strike. My shoes are my most essential piece of equipment and right now SKECHERS has the footwear I need to succeed. I'm excited to be partnering with this groundbreaking company."

Skechers is jumping on the minimalist shoe bandwagon with GoRun and has ironically signed up our favorite heel striker to sponsor a shoe designed for fore foot and mid foot striking.

Funny how marketing works.

Dana

3. Since a lot of people who are natural heel-strikers are trying to convert over to being forefoot and midfoot strikers.....the clinic has been very busy lately with injured "wannabe" midfoot and forefoot strikers. In one of the last free screening clinics I ran at the local shoe store, the last 5 runners I saw at the clinic had all got their running injuries soon after they were talked into running more on their forefoot by a friend, coach or an article they had read on the internet.

I now add the following question to the history of every new runner I see in my clinic:

"Have you recently tried to alter your gait pattern from a heel-striking to more of a midfoot or forefoot striking pattern?"

On the positive side, it is good business for my practice.:rolleyes:

4. Me too. I also ask if they have been running barefoot. Like you say, good for business.

5. Dana Roueche

Dana Roueche Well-Known Member

Kevin, that one should probably go up near the top of your list. There are a few things you can count on when it comes to dealing with the general running public. There is a never ending quest for the magic pill or Holy Grail that will turn an untalented jogger into a gifted athlete. There is an incredible lack of common sense. Combining the two create a great recipe for injury.

Initially I laughed about Skechers but after thinking about it, it really bothers me. Skechers has done really well "borrowing" from other shoe companies and marketing the crap out of their products so they sell. Their GoRun shoe has not hit the market yet but from what I can tell from the photos and videos, they are again "borrowing" from at least two other running shoe companies who have invested in R&D to develop their shoes. There is no way that I would even consider buying a "knock off" running shoe to save 10% or whatever.

Since the GoRun is clearly designed as a mid foot striker running shoe and will be marketed as such, it will be interesting to see if Meb K. actually changes his form to run in those things. After watching Meb's form on the high speed videos, the GoRun would be a terrible choice of shoes to wear on his part.

http://birthdayshoes.com/minimalist-shoes-from-skechers-gorun

Dana

6. Dana:

Meb isn't the only heel striking elite but certainly he is one of the more prominent ones. Supposedly Alberto Salazar is now coaching many of his runners to strike more on their midfoot which may or may not be a good thing for every elite runner.

My thoughts are that the barefoot and minimalist runners seem to spend way too much time worrying about how their foot strikes the ground and worry too little about all the other numerous factors which affect performance and injury rates. Every time I tried to change my stride during my competition years I promptly got injured so I stuck with what worked for me. I advise my runner patients to do the same...experiment with different running styles until you find the one that is most comfortable and causes the fewest injuries. In other words, I advise them to not worry how your foot strikes the ground because there is no one best way to footstrike (i.e. heel, midfoot or forefoot) for a given shoe and given running velocity....it's all very individual.

7. jsntg

jsntg Welcome New Poster

Wonder if he started out the '64 race on his heels? From personal experience, my stride changes throughout a race. I start off as a mid-foot striker but end heel striking...even if pace is constant. This in distances between 20 and 40 miles. Can only guess why the transition occurs. Lower leg fatigue seems to be a factor.

Hugh

8. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Press Release:
    Meb Keflezighi Earns Spot on 2012 U.S. London Team with First Place Finish Wearing Skechers GOrun at Houston Trials

9. Griff

Griff Moderator

Cue those that subscribe to the philosophy that midfoot striking is the panacea to rush to the shops?

In any case, let's hope Sketchers get their advertising for this shoe squared off a little better than it was for the Resistance Runner. Note to marketing: pick an appropriate picture this time...

[​IMG]

10. CraigT

CraigT Well-Known Member

Well done to Meb! and certainly a marketing coup to Skechers. I expect them to start being taken a lot more seriously now with their running shoes...
    I would like to see some video of the race, but this was him 2 weeks ago during a 16 mile tempo run-
    http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=70&do=videos&video_id=56829

The most well known heavy heel striker now... well ... still heel strikes!
    Imagine how good he could be if he was barefoot!:rolleyes:

11. NewsBot

Articles:

Attached Files:

12. NewsBot

Articles:
    Meb Keflezighi Breaks U.S. Masters Half Marathon Record