Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

"Orthotics Guide" From A Retired Massage Therapist - The New "Expert" in Foot Orthosis Therapy?

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Kevin Kirby, Jan 29, 2013.

Tags:

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Here is an interesting article about foot orthoses. Many of you may enjoy this one. It is written by a retired Canadian massage therapist. I don't think he likes podiatrists very much. I wonder if he and Blaise are friends?

Orthotics Guide

2. toomoon

toomoon Well-Known Member

These people are all over the internet.. I would very much appreciate Arenees comments on a posting I made on my Facebook page (see below). Please check it out and feel free to comment or get a discussion going. The posting is entitled "Every now and then one reads something on a so called "medical blog" that is so stupid it truly takes ones breathe away."

Hope to see some PA input!

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    These people would make good candidates for the Enclyopedia of American Loons:
    http://americanloons.blogspot.com.au

Notice how they can not cite one piece of research that supports what they are saying. Why is that? Probably because there is none (a couple of anecdotes is NOT evidence)

Simple facts:
    1. Every single outcome study, patient satisfaction study, RCT etc has shown that foot orthotics work (except one on bunions in kids). Why would any responsible clinician not do what the evidence says?
    2. NONE of those who make these claims have ever published in scientific journal - why can they only get their stuff and views published on their own websites? Why would not a credible medical or scientific journal publish what they are writing?
    3. It is amazing how non-clinicians have very strong opinions on clinical issues!
    4. There arguments are so easy to deconstruct; they use all the the usual trope of argumentative fallacies and are easy fodder ... but they are not worth the time. Fortunatly, no one takes them seriously.
    5. What would you rather do, stick to what the scientific evidence says or listen to the irrational rantings of a loon on a website?
    So a chiropractor argues that orthotics should be banned. Look at all the evidence on how well foot orthotics work and look at all the evidence on how chiropractic does not work. They should be arguing that chiropractic should be banned.... don't figure! At least foot orthotics have not killed anyone and chiropractic has. Should they not clean up there own backyard before they have a go at someone else's?

They also need to read these books, but I doubt they would understand them:

4. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

There is more evidence for believing in Santa Claus than there is for some of the claims these people make!

5. CEM

CEM Active Member

well he likes Pedorthists (guess he must be a great guy;)) he misses the point completely, the whole point of pedorthics was to give a footwear supply house and orthotic manufacturing option to the podiatrists. For those unfamiliar with the pedorthics thing, in many cases the podiatrist sees the patient and then sends them with prescription to the pedorthist to have a footwear modification made or an orthotic device supplied, unfortunately this leads to some podiatrists thinking that the pedorthist is out to steal their business. Very much not the case, most pods don't sell shoes and again most don't do shoe modifications so the pedorthist can help there, just as the pedorthist doesn't do nail care, surgery or corrective devices without a prescription.

But hey he is on the internet so it must ALL be true:pigs:

6. Actually, I think that interspersed within the nonsense there are several good points made here.

7. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

Actually a very good point Craig, if it were in fact entirely true. I'm sure there are claims made for conditions where there is no solid evidence in every field though?

I had this conversation regarding the efficacy of chiropractic some time ago with Simon, where he pointed out that the evidence that it was better than other modalities for spinal pain didn't exist. Since that time a lot of good research has come to my attention. I won't dredge all of it up here, but suffice to say that if we focus on specific spinal conditions such as acute low back pain and tension and migraine headaches, chiropractic stacks up rather nicely over traditional usual care (UC), especially in the acute phase (CHIRO Study).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20889389

Also the American College of Physicians and the American Pain Society released practice guidelines for managing back pain that surprised even me. For acute mechanical LBP that does not respond to UC their ONLY recommendation for acute care is spinal manipulation.

It goes on to list a number of other modalities for chronic spinal pain but there it is in plain English, there is a reasonable clinical rationale for chiropractic in the health care delivery system for musculoskeletal concerns and it comes from the medical profession.

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=736814

As I posted on Simon's Facebook page, please don't attack an entire profession for the horrible disrespect and opinions of a singular, colorful DC. Please don't shoot the messenger either, clinical chiropractic research is finally beginning to progress catch up to the level of other fields and I am hopeful that the result is improved access and care for us all and a choice.

Best Regards,

8. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    ...I was being facetious to point out how ridiculous that chiropractor is making his profession look :D

9. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I know this is an old thread, but I just noticed someone reading it via the who's online! This reminded me of stuff I have been recently reading about the Dunning Kruger effect:

Dunning–Kruger effect

Graph showing the difference between self-perceived and actual performance
    Relation between average self-perceived performance and average actual performance on a college exam.[1] The red area shows the tendency of low performers to overestimate their abilities. Nevertheless, low performers' self-assessment is lower than that of high performers.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with limited competence in a particular domain overestimate their abilities. It was first described by Justin Kruger and David Dunning in 1999. Some researchers also include the opposite effect for high performers: their tendency to underestimate their skills. In popular culture, the Dunning–Kruger effect is often misunderstood as a claim about general overconfidence of people with low intelligence instead of specific overconfidence of people unskilled at a particular task.

Numerous similar studies have been done. The Dunning–Kruger effect is usually measured by comparing self-assessment with objective performance. For example, participants may take a quiz and estimate their performance afterward, which is then compared to their actual results. The original study focused on logical reasoning, grammar, and social skills. Other studies have been conducted across a wide range of tasks. They include skills from fields such as business, politics, medicine, driving, aviation, spatial memory, examinations in school, and literacy.

There is disagreement about the causes of the Dunning–Kruger effect. According to the metacognitive explanation, poor performers misjudge their abilities because they fail to recognize the qualitative difference between their performances and the performances of others. The statistical model explains the empirical findings as a statistical effect in combination with the general tendency to think that one is better than average. Some proponents of this view hold that the Dunning–Kruger effect is mostly a statistical artifact. The rational model holds that overly positive prior beliefs about one's skills are the source of false self-assessment. Another explanation claims that self-assessment is more difficult and error-prone for low performers because many of them have very similar skill levels.

There is also disagreement about where the effect applies and about how strong it is, as well as about its practical consequences. Inaccurate self-assessment could potentially lead people to making bad decisions, such as choosing a career for which they are unfit, or engaging in dangerous behavior. It may also inhibit people from addressing their shortcomings to improve themselves. Critics argue that such an effect would have much more dire consequences than what is observed.

1. ^ Dunning 2011, p. 263.

10. Rob Kidd

Rob Kidd Well-Known Member

Craig, interesting that you relate Dunning Kruger to orthotics and their therapy - and you may well be right. The two areas it becomes apparent in my life are in (non)vaccination and creationism. The number of people that have become "experts" in either of these fields by reading Google and Wiki is frightening - if you didn't laugh, you would cry. Back to me fossils! Rob

11. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    It is more aimed at those with no clinical experience or clinical understanding or knowledge of the research evidence having strong clinical opinions on foot orthotics based on the University of Google ... go figure!

eg just now I read a full 2 page article in Run4YL (Australian competitor to Runners World) and the cure for overpronation written up an exercise physiologist ... you just strength the external rotators of the hip .... classic case of Dunning Kruger