Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Numbness in sides of both big toes

Discussion in 'Foot Health Forum' started by RSSFeedBot, Apr 24, 2013.

1. RSSFeedBot

RSSFeedBot I, Robot

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    hello i am a 18 year old male and for two to three weeks i have had this numbing sensation in my big toes on the sides. I work and stand alot but...

More...

2. gdenbyUK

gdenbyUK Active Member

Hi there. This is difficult to diagnose via postings. Given that it has persisted for a few weeks, a quick visit to your local podiatrist is recommended.

That said, given that your mother is a dietitian, we might presume a balanced diet. Viitamin supplements for an otherwise healthy 18 years old would be most unusual. You have not mentioned any presciption medications, so I presume none.

You have not stated whether there is any redness or swelling in the area, which might be indicative of either infection or a rubbing against the inside of footwear. Perhaps there is thick callus or bruising in the area, indicative of rubbing or a penetrating callus? When talking about the sides of your first toes, I also presume you are referring to the medial, 'inside edges' - those that touch if you bring your feet together, side-by-side.

Parasthesia (numbness) might be triggered by multiple small trauma from footwear. Does your work footwear AND your sports footwear fit properly? An obvious question, but your feet may have recently undergone a growth spurt (different areas of the body can suddently develop quickly at different stages, sometimes height, sometimes strength, sometimes hands and feet!). When laced-up, do your toes have 'wiggle room'? Your can spread the toes apart, when still within the footwear? If your shoes are not the lace-up style, but are slip-on then these again can be either too tight for suddenly growing feet, of indeed may be too loose allowing slipping of the foot within the shoe; both traumatising the side of the toes, also causing bruised nails and encouraging clawing of the toes.

I support your mother's view that your numbness is unlikely to be diabetes. The nerves in the toes are the longest in the body and are suseptible to damage from poor sugar control in the long term (years / decades): Local perfusion of oxygen and nutrients being hindered by repeated hyper glycaemia. For this to occur in an 18 year old, I would expect a type 1 (insulin injecting) diabetic with very poor alocohol / sugar control.

In conclusion, I suggest you first check the obvious (footwear style and fit). Then refer yourself to a podiatrist who can perform some simple, pain-free tests to ascertain a most likely cause.