Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

APMA study: Beauty is pain

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by Cameron, May 22, 2015.

1. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

2. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

My comment to you is why do you refer to Dr. Sutera as "lady" rather than Podiatrist or doctor, a title that she earned? It is an insult to refer her to just a "lady", a Podiatrist that invested over $200,000 on her education and finished a three year surgical residency after 4 years of Podiatric medical school and 4 years of college.

In the video, Dr. Sutera calls herself a board qualified foot surgeon and does wear a white coat. I believe it helps her make herself more credible in the eyes of the public and an authority to be listened too. She may also feel comfortable in her white coat as she is a young practitioner and had to wear a white coat in school, her residency and has made the choice to continue wearing it and I do not see anything wrong with that.

When your interviewed in the media, wear shorts and sandals, I won't judge you but I won't call you "man" either.

Steven

3. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Brian

Thanks for your comments

I trained many years ago and wore white coats as standard practice. As the years unfolded however awareness of blood borne viruses and cross contamination has meant the need to restrict clinical attire to the place of work is essential. Scientific research into what contaminants thrive on clinical clothing should make all professionals delighted we leave these in the laundry basket.

Quite a different matter if you are interviewed in situ then clinical clothing would be appropriate but not in a TV studio. That is just patronizing and hence my 'stereotypical' comment.

I have spent a life time, it seems, working in the media and am very familiar with what goes on in studios. Who determines what the guests wear on camera is the producer(s)/floor manager and not the guest. This relates more to continuity and avoiding colour clashes etc but some producers will insist in projecting visual stereotypes (for the benefit of people watching with the sound down) e.g. here is a doctor and we recognize that immediately because they have a white coat on. However as professionals we should also be aware of appearing to put others at risk by wearing potentially contaminated clothing out with the work area. A plutonium scientist for example would draw the line; I am sure, at appearing on camera in his laboratory attire, just to be a stereotype in the studio.

Over the thirty years I spent in podiatric education students attitudes to clinical clothing changed from always wanting to appear in white coats to rejecting them and adopting tailored jackets and trousers for routine clinical work. I have also worked with pod surgeons who insisted on wearing their surgical scrubs at all times in an out of the theatre. Whilst this was seen by them as a badge of office it was not condoned in any way by the infection control team. The answer came in the form of out of theatre scrubs.

In terms of me and shorts and sandals (thongs in OZ) that is my standard broadcasting sartoria. In decades gone past that attire might have been greeted with "Hey Man , how are you doing? " but that was a long time ago.

toeslayer