Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

The Asics Metarun - 'Performance Mastered'

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Craig Payne, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Is this Asics answer to the Adidas, 'Greatest running shoe ever'?

Nothing in English yet, so you need google translate:
    http://www.asics.com/jp/ja-jp/metarun (Japanese)
    http://corrida4fun.com.br/2015/10/29/asics-metarun-o-melhor-tenis-de-performance-de-todos-os-tempos/ (Brazil)

Teaser from Asics:

Cryptic image from Asics press office:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Apparently the claims re weight reduction are valid.

3. toomoon

toomoon Well-Known Member

I listened without watching the video.. same 'ol metallic tecky noises as everyone else.. sigh!

4. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Finally something in English. This from the Asics Ireland site:
    They have a countdown clock showing 12 days until reveal.

5. We all have 12 days to take a collective yawn together.....oh joy....these running shoe companies really are getting very full of themselves....:bang::hammer:

6. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Who's excited? Only 2 hours until reveal! (at least that is what the countdown clock is showing!).

7. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Well that was a bit of fizzer; the countdown clock hit zero and we got zilch

Attached Files:

8. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    This would explain it; they forgot to sync the clocks. The Asic's America site has still an hour or so to run:

Attached Files:

9. toomoon

Nothing groundbreaking..Light new PU cake mix, kayano fit with DS trainer weight.. that is it by all accounts

10. toomoon

ps.. clock has run down again and still nothing!

11. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  12. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Here is the big reveal:

13. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Here it is:

Attached Files:

14. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    and more:

Attached Files:

15. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    and yet more...

Attached Files:

16. toomoon

I will let others comment!

17. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Been monitoring social media comments; the Italians are on to it:
    http://www.runlovers.it/2015/asics-metarun-fino-alla-fine-della-tua-corsa/ (use Google translate).

Interesting comment via Google translate:

18. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Weight is 310 grams
    Kayano is the same (10.9oz)

Am I missing something?

19. NewsBot

Articles:
    From compeotor.com:
    ASICS Introduces Luxurious (and Limited) MetaRun Shoe

20. As long as it's comfy I guess?

Have they put a price tag on the Metarun yet?

Nitta

21. Ricko

Ricko Member

Yes Craig, i can personally confirm it is lighter than a Kayano - much lighter - DS Trainer weight but with a Kayano fit is my first impression. Looks like plenty of feet will fit it. Pricing will be interesting.

22. toomoon

AUD300

23. NewsBot

Articles:
  24. NewsBot

Articles:
    Press Release:
    MetaRun: The Best Long Distance Running Shoe In ASICS History
    ASICS unveils future of footwear technology with its best ever long-distance running shoe
    Packed with four patents and five new technologies

25. mr2pod

mr2pod Active Member

Try 20 grams lighter than a Kayano - hardly DS Trainer weight , but weight is not really the only thing we should base a shoe on - and a price of $AU320

26. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Asics have released the names of retailers who will have the shoe at launch:
    http://www.asicsamerica.com/metarun (scroll down to have way down pg) ... none in Australia yet announced

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2015
  27. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I see the shoe is going to be pulled from sales on 1 January 2016. Retailers have been instructed to return all unsold inventory on that date!

Seems odd that they would spend all the $ on R&D and create the social media buzz to launch the product only for it to be on sale for a little over 4 weeks ??????

28. William Fowler

William Fowler Active Member

Why? Seems odd.

29. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I have been trying to find out why and have been asking around. Its does seem odd that you spend $millions on developing a shoe, create all the social media buzz to launch it and then only have it on the market for 5 weeks.

I would have thought that a lot of runners would not buy a new shoe if they knew that if they liked it they could no buy it again as its off the market.

My speculations:
    1) Its a concept shoe (like a concept car that the car makers release in very limited numbers), but we could see the technologies developed for this shoe rolled out in other Asics models over time?
    2) Asics have tried to position themselves as the most eminent 'technical' and innovative running shoe maker; they have probably lost a bit of that edge or image recently, so this strategy is part of a positioning play to re-establish that dominance?
    3) They trying to create some sort of 'aura' around the shoe to being unique and limited edition, so that runners who buy it feel "special"
    4) They trying to do something like what happens with the limited edition sneakers culture that are made in collaboration with music stars and athletes ... however, I can not see any sneakers heads camped out overnight outside stores to buy this shoe.

30. Or maybe the shoe fell apart after 100 miles...??!!

I don't think this type of behavior by a major shoe manufacturer helps their image at all. In fact, I think it makes them look ridiculous!

31. toomoon

#losttheplot?

32. mr2pod

mr2pod Active Member

Craig in reference
    4) They trying to do something like what happens with the limited edition sneakers culture that are made in collaboration with music stars and athletes ... however, I can not see any sneakers heads camped out overnight outside stores to buy this shoe.you need to see this guy then....
    maybe this is their pitch ;)

https://www.ted.com/talks/josh_luber_the_secret_sneaker_market_and_why_it_matters

33. NewsBot

Articles:
  34. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  35. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I see ASICs are taking a bit of ridicule over the "doctor approved" label from the APMA

(courtesy Seth Hasty from RSG on Facebook)

Attached Files:

36. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    AUD$320

37. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Are Asics' $250 MetaRun Shoes Worth the Hype?

38. NewsBot

Articles:
    More on its development:

and a review

39. NewsBot

Articles:
  40. NewsBot

Articles:
    More videos on five components of the the "technology" in the Metarun. More marketing than substance.