Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Tibialis Anterior tendon rupture

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by hazelnoakes, Jul 18, 2007.

1. hazelnoakes

hazelnoakes Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I'm after some info regarding Tibialis Anterior tendon rupture. A client presented 8 days after feeling something "snap" when rushing to the car. Initial x-rays taken by the hospital showed no problem. I referred back to his GP with recommendation of further scans which apparently showed the Tib Ant tendon has torn off the bone.

What is the likelyhood of surgical intervention and if so, what is the chance of a full recovery?

His GP has referred to a surgeon and his appointment is one month after initial injury - is there an urgent need to bring this appt forward?

Thea Lawson
    via Hazel!

2. If it were my anterior tibial tendon that had just ruptured, I would be seeing my friendly orthopedic surgeon the same day for surgical repair. If the patient waits a month, then the tendon will be retracted into the leg and will be more difficult to reattach without a more complicated grafting procedure. Get the referral NOW!

3. hazelnoakes

Will put in a few calls and see what I can wrangle! Given that it is almost 2 weeks post injury, would the tendon have already retracted fully into the leg?

4. hazelnoakes

Thanks Kevin. Thea is contacting our local orthopaedic surgeon as I type this email.
    Hazel

5. The tendon will be more difficult to be pulled back into anatomical position the longer the time that has elapsed from the date of rupture due to accommodative shortening of the muscle fibers/connective tissue elements of the muscle/tendon unit. Muscle-tendon units tends to shorten when not stretched regularly. Time is of the essence in this condition to allow normal restoration of anterior tibial function by surgical repair.

6. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Surgical repair of acute and chronic tibialis anterior tendon ruptures.
    Sammarco VJ, Sammarco GJ, Henning C, Chaim S.
    J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009 Feb;91(2):325-32.

7. bob

bob Active Member

Eh? "Orthopedic surgeon"? What's wrong with YOUR hands Kevin? Do you not work with podiatric colleagues familiar with this surgery if you don't want to do it? I'm not having a go at you, or our orthopaedic friends, but I was just wondering why you specified an orthopaedic surgeon? ;)

8. I have worked in a group practice with orthopedic surgeons for the past 24 years. They do excellent tendon surgery and do a lot of it. And by the way, I don't think I would want to do my OWN surgery on my own ruptured anterior tibial tendon, if I was unfortunate enough to develop this pathology.

9. bob

bob Active Member

Ha haa! Yes, obviously you're not going to do your own surgery, but you know what I meant. I'm sure you realised that what I was really saying is - why specify an ortho and not a pod (especially when you are a pod)? And you answered this to a point - you work in a group practice and they do most of the tendon surgery. Fair enough. :D

10. Jeff S

Jeff S Active Member

Over the last 9 months, I have repaired 2 acute and one old Tib Ant. rupture. In all cases the tendon had retracted under the superior extensor retinaculum. I all cases, I lengthened the tendon at the myotendinous junction from 4-12 cm. The tendon was re-attached under physiologic tension to its insertion. NWB 6 weeks, PT at 3 weeks and FWB in a AFO by 8 weeks. The AFO was DC'd after 3 months. All patients had 4+/5 strength returned, no pain and no tendon graft was used.

11. Mareesha

Mareesha Welcome New Poster

Jeff: My orthopedic surgeon says he may have to do a graft to repair my severed ATT; would you be willing to comment on how you repaired your ruptured ATTs without grafts? thanks...

12. Jeff S

Jeff S Active Member

Sure: as part of the repair, the edges of the torn tendon need to be removed/debrided to a fresh, healthy surface. If the amount of damaged tendon removed is excessive in length (>2 cm), something needs to be done to make up the missing length. I prefer to lengthen the tendon rather than sacrifice a normal tendon or use cadaver graft (dead tendon) to accomplish this task. I lengthen the anterior tibial tendon in the front of the leg near the shin bone. It is right under the skin and very easy to get at. Best of luck!!!

13. Jeff S

Jeff S Active Member

I trained in the Bay area and know many of the guys there. Tom Chang is in the San Rafel area and Steve Paladino is in East Bay. Dee, every surgeon has their preference for surgical repair of a particular problem; so I can't guarantee that they would use this method. I know they are both highly compentent and very well trained and respected. So if either one recommended a graft, it will be done perfectly! Otherwise, you may be making a trip to Philly...lol...Best of Luck.

Jeff Siegel, DPM, FACFAS

14. NewsBot

Articles:
    The Operative Treatment of the Degenerative Rupture of the Anterior Tibialis Tendon.
    Schneppendahl J, Gehrmann SV, Stosberg U, Regenbrecht B, Windolf J, Wild M.
    Z Orthop Unfall. 2009 Nov 12. [Epub ahead of print]

15. NewsBot

Articles:
    Surgical outcome following tibialis anterior tendon repair.
    Ellington JK, McCormick J, Marion C, Cohen BE, Anderson RB, Davis WH, Jones CP.
    Foot Ankle Int. 2010 May;31(5):412-7.

16. NewsBot

Articles:
    The operative treatment of the degenerative rupture of the anterior tibialis tendon
    Schneppendahl J, Gehrmann SV, Stosberg U, Regenbrecht B, Windolf J, Wild M.
    Z Orthop Unfall. 2010 May;148(3):343-7.

17. NewsBot

Articles:
    Repair of Lacerated Anterior Tibial Tendon with Acellular Tissue Graft Augmentation
    Lawrence A. DiDomenico, Gregory A. Blasko, Laurence Cane, Davina J. Cross
    Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery (in press)

18. NewsBot

Articles:
    Gait Analysis after Tibialis Anterior Tendon Rupture Repair Using Z-Plasty
    Jürgen Goetz, MD, Johannes Beckmann, MD, PhD, Franz Koeck, MD, PhD, Joachim Grifka, MD, PhD, Silvia Dullien, Guido Heers, MD, PhD
    Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery; Article in Press

19. NewsBot

Articles:
    Traumatic tibialis anterior tendon rupture: treatment with a two-stage silicone tube and an interposition hamstring tendons graft protocol
    Vasileios Kontogeorgakos, et al
    Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy; June 2013

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  20. NewsBot

Articles:
    Reconstruction using an autograft with near complete preservation of the extensor retinaculum for chronic tibialis anterior tendon disruption
    Youichi Yasui, Masato Takao, Wataru Miyamoto, Takashi Matsu****a
    Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery; September 2013

21. NewsBot

Articles:
    Chronic Tibialis Anterior Tendon Tear Treated With an Achilles Tendon Allograft Technique
    Ezequiel Palmanovich, MD; Yaron S. Brin, MD; Lior Laver, MD; Dror Ben David, MD; Sabri Massrawe, MD; Meir Nyska, MD; Iftach Hetsroni, MD
    Orthopedics; November 2013 - Volume 36 · Issue 11: 850-853

22. NewsBot

Articles:
    Minimally Invasive Repair of the Tibialis Anterior Tendon Using a Semitendinosus Autograft.
    Michels F, Van Der Bauwhede J, Oosterlinck D, Thomas S, Guillo S.
    Foot Ankle Int. 2013 Dec 20

23. NewsBot

Articles:
    Tibialis anterior tendon rupture as a complication of first tarsometatarsal joint steroid injection: A case report and review of literature
    Kowshik Jainc, Mehek Asad, Yogesh Joshi, Asad Syed
    The Foot: June 11, 2015

24. NewsBot

Articles:
    Soft tissue repair for tibialis anterior tendon ruptures using plate and screw fixation technique in combination with anterolateral thigh flaps transplantation.
    Mao H, Xu G
    J Orthop Surg Res. 2015 Sep 17;10(1):143.

25. NewsBot

Articles:
    Complete Rupture of the Tibialis Anterior Tendon Due to Intratendinous Ganglion Cyst
    Seok Hyun Kweon, M.D., Ph.D., Hong Je Kang, M.D., Ph.D., and Seoung In Lee, M.D.
    J Korean Orthop Assoc. 2015 Oct;50(5):412-417

26. NewsBot

Articles:
    Repair of Chronic Tibialis Anterior Tendon Rupture With a Major Defect Using Gracilis Allograft
    Alex Burton, Umur Aydogan
    Foot Ankle Spec January 7, 2016

27. NewsBot

Articles:
    Repair of Chronic Tibialis Anterior Tendon Ruptures.
    Funk SS, Gallagher B, Thomson AB.
    Orthopedics. 2016 Mar 9:1-5

28. NewsBot

Articles:
    Rupture of the tendon of the tibialis anterior muscle : Etiology, clinical symptoms and treatment
    Waizy H et al
    Unfallchirurg. 2017 Oct 4. doi: 10.1007/s00113-017-0417-z

29. NewsBot

Articles:
    Acute rupture of the tibialis anterior tendon
    Gómez-Canedo JM
    Acta Ortop Mex 2017; 31 (5)

30. NewsBot

Articles:
    Zancolli Technique for Delayed Repair of Tibialis Anterior Tendon Rupture: A Case Report and Literature Review.
    Valisena S et al
    Foot Ankle Spec. 2018 Jan 1:1938640017751539. doi: 10.1177/1938640017751539

31. NewsBot

Articles:
    Management of Isolated Anterior Tibial Tendon Rupture: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
    Anthony Tickner et al
    JFAS; Article in Press

32. NewsBot

Articles:
    Management of Tibialis Anterior Tendon Rupture: Recommendations based on the Literature Review
    Amir RezaVosoughiaGavinHeyesbAndrew P.MolloycLyndon W.MasondAmir HumanHoveidaeie
    Foot and Ankle Surgery; 21 June 2019
    •It is recommended to perform free tendon graft for large defects after debridement and chronic TAT ruptures with significant tendon degeneration but no muscle fatty infiltration.

33. docbourke

docbourke Active Member

I
    I have repaired these months and years after rupture. The tendon only retracts as far as the extensor retinaculum as the ruptured end is too bulky to get through the tunnel for the original tendon. Since the muscle has something to pull on it doesn't atrophy. So saying early repair is easier and more likely to result in a stronger construct. You cant put the tendon back from where it came but with an interference screw it can be put into the cuneiform, navicular or even talar neck. Even in long standing cases in older cases the tenodesis effect means they can usually dispense with an AFO.

34. NewsBot

Articles:
    Surgical treatment of tibialis anterior tendon rupture
    Jens KurtJohansen et al
    Foot and Ankle Surgery; 9 September 2020

35. NewsBot

Articles:
    Risk Factors for Anterior Tibial Tendon Pathology
    Matthew M. Levitsky, MD, Christina E. Freibott, BS, Justin K. Greisberg, MD, ...
    Foot & Ankle International October 14, 2020

36. NewsBot

Articles:
    Management of Anterior Tibialis Tendon Ruptures
    Chen, Jie MD, MPH; Kadakia, Rishin MD; Akoh, Craig Chike MD; Schweitzer, Karl Martin Jr MD
    Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons: July 1, 2021

37. NewsBot

Articles:
    Reconstruction of chronic tibialis anterior tendon ruptures using a free anterior half of a peroneus longus tendon autograft: A technical note
    Sung Jae Kim et al
    J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). Jan-Apr 2022;30(1):10225536221083044

38. NewsBot

Articles:
    Tibialis Anterior Tendon Rupture Surgical Treatments and Outcomes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
    Keegan A Duelfer et al
    J Foot Ankle Surg. 2023 Mar 22;S1067-2516(23)00017-0

39. NewsBot

Articles:
    Treatment of a subcutaneous tibialis anterior tendon rupture with a semitendinosus autograft
    Hassan Zmerly et al
    Acta Biomed. 2023 Jun 23;94(S2):e2023086