Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Chiropody:- Supply And Demand?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by C Bain, Apr 16, 2005.

1. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi All,

Sitting and thinking about recent comments in the past on this Forum and in other professional places, I wonder whether there is any point in asking the following question in this present environment in Chiropody?

But I will anyway,

Chiropody developed through SUPPLY AND DEMAND rather than by EDUCATION AND REGULATION, true or false?

My view is that CHIROPODY has developed ,

1. Over the past eighty to one hundred years by producing the techniques and craftsmanship to treat the causes and elements of the DEMAND. To put it bluntly, who will treat and cure my,

1) Corn.
    2) Callus.
    3) Nail deformity, damage, etc. that hurts?

2. Treating and failing to treat Verruca up to 100%. all of them! Is it part of Chiropody? (Of course, I have one treatment I trust in, don't we all!).

3. Recognition of more serious skin conditions, etc.

Now it would appear that we are to continue to be controlled by Higher Educational Standards issued REGULATIONS! (Or are we?),

1. This very week I am told not to bother approaching the NHS. for work. Reason given, if you are not a member or associate member of the Society you will not be employed. (Personally I have no form of surprise in my mind over this statement. In fact I'm surprised that this area-Representative of chiropody even bothered to ask it!).

The Society cannot change it's spots and can argue from a position of strength can it not, 'The Occupying Power!'

2. We are in a similar position now as to the Industrial Revolution development in the late Nineteenth/Early Twentieth Century,
    1) At the beginning of the Revolution journeymen/engineers took their Coates off and set to in the middle of the workshop floor and sorted the problem out, sometimes by trial and error. The steam engine on wheels for example. Like them if I do not solve my chiropody problems of the day Theoretically I starve! (But in the NHS. I fancy they will get paid anyway? Of course I could be very mistaken about this, couldn't I?).

2) In the late part of the Nineteenth Century Academia started to input with ideas and solutions to problems as factory manufacture became more complex! But not as the controlling force of industrial development!).

3) Then in the Mid-Twentieth Century control passed slowly into the hands of Government, and now Academia!

Progress in Chiropody can only be lawfully made if it is done within REGULATION. Regulation is controlled by,
    1. Political power, Departments of Government.
    2. Now Academia is setting standards and regulating, sometimes outside the Field of STATUTE, using Statutory Instrument instead. For example is the HPC. able to answer these questions,
    1) What is a CHIROPODIST?
    2) What is the chiropody's parameters, (Limitations), in MEDICINE?
    3) Who should control CHIROPODY? (Here one or two of us might get quite a surprise in the future!).

3. Conclusions! Or should it be further questions?
    1) Can we say that Academia and Regulation is better than a Chiropodist sorting out the Aged house-bounds problems whilst sitting on the sitting-room floor?
    2) Education and regulation, at what level should it be set for CHIROPODY? Is it sensible to have Podiatrists with a B.Sc. training level when the majority of them in the NHS. will be compelled by force of numbers to find work where the DEMAND is, (The Chiropody functions listed above.).
    3) Who should decide who works for the NHS. Chiropody Dept.?
    (1) The Chiropodists working there now?
    (2) The people in charge of the NHS. now?
    (3) A Private Society' members, no matter how well respected it is by those around it making the decisions, (Particularly when it appears to me over these past twenty years or so to be exhibiting the features and hallmarks of a pseudo-secret society?).

Regards,

Colin, (Strike the match and stand back!).

P.S. I would like to point out,
    1. I can just cope with the work I've got at the moment and I have never had the remotest intention of applying for work in the NHS. (Maybe that's how I am able to write this now!).
    2. A very minor comment. I am dealing with a couple of corns which are older than the profession of chiropody itself at this moment, this year she will be ninety-five and her corn is ninety, I have requested that when she bakes her birthday cake she bakes a special one for her corn at the same time, (Really humbling isn't it when you think of the number of chiropodists who have looked at this problem!).
    3. Power rarely relinquishes power! As a pessimist I might be excused to think that I should not be afraid to bring things out into the open once in a while, how say ye?

P.P.S. You will notice the mention of Podiatry has been left to the very end of this posting because it focus's on higher things and not on the CHIROPODY DEMAND, (The market force, the vast number of old people needing what chiropody was developed for), Corns, Callus, Cutting toenails etc. PODIATRY poses another set of problems impinging on the Market demand, possibly impeding it also? Enter FHP.' (Private and NHS.), to replace Chiropodists as they expire in the future. Podiatrists in their present numbers, are they to expensive for the NHS. perhaps?

Bricks in the pool, (Yes, I have my tin-hat on and ducking, I'm ducking!).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  2. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Admin.
    Dropped a brick, got three copies by mistake, accident, picked the wrong screen to alter, twice? Can't get rid of the other two?? Admin. This is the original above, please keep!

Regards.

Colin.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  3. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

I have deleted the other two and moved this one to the UK forum --- the UK is pretty much the only country in the world in which the term 'chiropody' is still in use.

4. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Brick!

Admin.

Thank you Admin. for your help. I did throw a coin re. where to put it! I'm sure I will be told in the very near future, (Where they want me to put it!).

Regards,

Colin.

5. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Hi Colin,
    You have been misinformed. The SCP has no control over who works or doesn't work in the NHS. Only the HPC has that control.

Give me the name of the person who told you you would have to be a member of the SCP to work in the NHS and I will gladly personally report them and their PCT to the HPC for discrimination.
    I'm quite serious about this.
    Regards,
    Davidh

6. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

NHS. Employment!

Hi David,

Yes I would like to know the full details too? But as usual in these things details are always two steps away. I believe that official steps may be in progress, however details are still confidential!

It would be in the Society's interests to rebut these rumours if that is what they are? But I'm sure that you realize that I am repeating that which is evidence of opinion, (Hearsay!), rather than primary or secondary evidence, but I haven't heard any rebuttals from those who should know!

Regards,

Colin.

7. dmdon

dmdon Active Member

Blimey Colin, what a posting.

I think you have covered everything from the history of chiropody up to the present day debacle which seems to be eminating from some corners.

From sources within the HPC and the 'society' I believe it is stated by someone somewhere, that as long as an individual is HPC regietered they stand just as much chance of gaining employment within the NHS as much as anybody else (LA permitting), of course politically if this was addressed you may well get the 'Im sorry, I can't comment on individual cases', scenario.

I would however be very surprised if it did occur, but there again not surprised if a 'test case' arose. Will we get to a situation of faces fitting etc?

With your point on degree level education, do you need a degree to be a chiopodist? (I can hear people shouting now)

Of course that depends on the content, I see from other postings that this uni is better than that uni, is this facilities or academic content I wonder?

From previous experience, before I entered into chiropody, I worked for a goverment (not important which) organization, but basically we all did the same job, but some were thought of as being more skilled than others and were therefore seconded into a different unit. Then all of a sudden the word 'elitist' sprang up huge political intervention and it all came crashing down with a very heavy thump. And it came as a bit of a blow to some people to loose the ability to be differentiated from others, even though to a lesser or greater degree they were doing the same job of work, and they still earnt the same.

I have some friends who are scientists, who are HPC registered, they are now at the situation where an MSc is a basic qualification needed to move on from a lab technician, and a PhD is the norm to get any type of recognition from prospective employers. Will this be the next subject in about 10 years time I wonder?!?!

Like you, with the knowledge I have and experience gained over the past 12 years or so I cope (Ithink this is what you meant, or did you mean workload?). Any problems I pass on to others which at the moment amounts to about 4 - 5 a year and those are usually for some sort of surgical intervention.

People, new patients, come to me in pain and seek immediate relief from their symptoms, routine treatment or dissollusionment of other practitioners for whatever reason its not for me to comment on what other people do unless it is dangerous of course.

As for the 90 year old corn.....I have a couple of elderly patients of that 'ilk' and I have never looked upon them in that light, you learn something new everyday! :eek:

I know this hasn't answered your question in every respect, but from someone who is looking forward to another 20 odd years in this profession like you I play an important role both in the community and for chiropody/podiatryt as a whole, and as mad as it may sound I am actually looking forward to the future.

Cheers

DavidD :D

8. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Hi DavidD,

Yes David I cannot argue with that! May try later, however? Possible Suicidal tendencies from time to time you know!?!

Regards,

Colin.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  9. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

Dear All,

There seems to be some misunderstanding regarding who is and is not able to work for the NHS.

The Allied health professionals, of which Chiropody / Podiatry is one, have to have a minimum eduactional attainment in order to be employed as an Allied health professional.

A tertiary level of Education is currently the MINIMUM.

Prior to the standardisation of a degree the AHP's education was overseen by the professions and CPSM (Council for Professions Suuplementary to Medicine).

So for Podiatry it was and is the SCP

For Physio it is the CSP.

So we had State Registered Chiropodist Podiatrist and Physio etc etc.

Now the HPC is the new regulatory body and it has decreed that the only way to achieve HPC reg post July 2005 is to go to UNI and complete a recognised course in your chosen discipline.

There is the added complication in that in order to protect the public and professions there is a 2 year grandparenting period so that those who previously were prohibited from CPSM reg could now be Grandparented.

After July 2005 there would be NO further grandparenting and the professions are now CLOSED.

So the NHS as an employer has to look at all of the above.

So The NHS is now asking that AHP'S have a:

Degree or equivalent eg Diploma based on an approved course at a recognised University or Training Establishment for those who qualified, before the degree, from an approved course and school.

They are also demanding that you are REG with HPC.

They are also demanding LA cert

And are sometimes looking for membership of the relevant profesional body eg

CSP SCP.

So if you approach the NHS for work as an AHP then they will ask questions on the Above.
    They will know which training establishments are approved, if they do not then it is easy to find out by asking the HPC and or the relevant professional body.

The SCP has many roles.

It is the overseer of the educatonal system
    It is your trade union
    It is your professional body and represents you
    It oversees much of your CPD
    It provides your professional indemnity ins

I hope that the above helps .

If you applied to my dept and i was the manager (which i am not ) then if i saw from your applicatio form that you trained outside the fromal education centre then your application would be rejected, despite being grandparented to HPC.

You could apply for a post as a Pod Assistant but would have to take and pass the Pod Assistant FCA course. But the money is poor so as you have a successful practice this would not be attractive to you.

A question why do you still use the term Chiropodist?
    In all other parts of the English speaking world the term used now is Podiatrist.

Podiatry means study of the foot

Chiropody means Hand and Foot as in Chiro Podo

So as we study pathology pertaining to the foot surely we are Podiatrists.

regards David

10. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Thank you Davidohorn!

Hi David,

Thank you for explaining for the first time in my recollection Recruitment into the NHS. The first I've heard of it, nothing in my working background has surfaced before on this. Shedding a little light on something outside my sides experience I think?

Of course you are correct in saying why should I bother to apply, a drop in income and loss of independence for what? However, that is not the case with some of the younger ones in my side of Chiropody. An effect probably brought about by the isolation imposed from a certain quarter over the last two decades or more! As a result I am still a Chiropodist and very happy to stay that way. Not a stick in the mud, but happy with my lot!

It will be interesting, however, to hear what DavidH makes of your explanation re NHS. It shows a gap in knowledge which may possibly only be addressed by the HPC???

Regards and thank you for your time,

Colin. (This one defiantly will bring Tears to the Ears for some!!!).

11. DAVOhorn

Dear Colin,

Your last paragraph stated that this will be addressed by the HPC.

The HPC is the regulator of the professions .

An employer can chose what ever qualifications they like.

So they look to the regulator for advice and agree the minimum educational standards for the post.

So for the AHP's that is a tertiary level of education MINIMUM.

If you look at the new Agenda For Change career structure for the NHS then all AHP's who are a minimum of Band 5 must have a tertiary level of education or experience and a lesser qualification. But this does not cover AHP. It was added to cover former Enroled Nurses as all nurses are band 5 .

So enrolled nurse 2 years education plus many years experience and perhaps a top up qalification equals band 5 on experience.

Band 6 for a Pod would be tertiary level of education plus a minimum of 1 year post grad experience and be an autonomous practitioner with total responsiblity for their own caseload. So their work is not directly managed by a Senior pod.

I find it interesting that some of your Junior colleagues from your training background would wish to work as an FCA in the NHS.

If this is so then they could save themselves alot of money by applying to their NHS PCT to train as an FCA in the first place.

Not do a coursewhich has no validity to work in the NHS and then enrol on the NHS FCA course as an employee.

In my area in the past when we had FCA's we used to advertise in the local newspapers for trainee fca and then train them to SCP guidelines and examination .

Last time we did this was about 15 yeras ago. As i say we do not currently have any FCA's.

regards David

12. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

DAVOhorn - P.S.'

Hi David,

Thank you for that. Very, very useful information in both Postings!

You ask, "Why do you still use the term Chiropodist?"

The main answer I suppose is because that's what I am!

Furthermore if I were sitting side by side with you and one of my senior patient types walked into the room and said,
    "Who are you?"
    You replied, "I am a Podiatrist!"
    You might get back, "Aah yes, your one of those new fangled Shiropodists aren't you!"

Turning to me, "And who are you?"
    Reply, "I am a Chiropodist!"
    The reply would be, "Aah yes you are the Footman!"

Most Registered Podiatrist in my area have CHIROPODY/CHIROPODIST on their premises front whether or not Podiatry appears somewhere else as well! Good business you see, to greater business risk taken by leaving them off! Money dictates CHIROPODY/CHIROPODIST is still to be used in advertising, they are trusted terms, whereas new fangled PODIATRY to some, may be unfamiliar?

P.P.S. - Chiro - hands: Still applicable in my case, it is surprising how many people want their fingernails cutting for various reasons, medical or otherwise! It is not uncommon to send patients to doctors with what has been found on their skin, hands. One is still able to get insurance for fingernail cutting,too!
    Reply, "I am a Chiropodist!"

Regards,

Colin.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  13. davidh

Hi.
    I confirmed the following information with a senior NHS colleague this morning.
    The criteria for working in the NHS as a podiatrist is HPC-registration.

The NHS cannot dictate which Trades Union you belong to. My NHS colleague is not
    a member of the SCP, but is still employed by the NHS. Therefore to say the SCP membership or SCP Associate membership is an NHS requirement is simply misinformation.

An individual PCT can certainly choose their own requirements for employment. Whether they can discriminate based on education, and whether we would need to see a test-case being fought to clear this one up remains to be seen.

Regards,
    Davidh

14. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Conflict Davids?

Hi DavidH,

Thank you for that David! There appears to be a certain amount of conflict between you and DAVOhorn's understanding of the present situation? Tempted as I am to comment at this time I think it would be good manners to allow you two to resolve this without my help. Will await with great interest the outcome!!!

Regards,

Colin. (I've already dug my foxhole!).

15. DAVOhorn

I sought advice from a Physio colleague today on this matter.

His opinion concurs with mine.

So a tertairy level of education from an approved University/School of Physio.

Being grandparented onto the HPC is not a reflection of your academic status.

It was an opportunity extended by the regulatory authority to try and achieve closure of the professions and protection of titles.

As not all those eligible for grandparenting have gone down this route there is a considerable body of practitioners who will lose the right to use the professional title they have used for years.

So what now.

regards David

16. Lawrence Bevan

Lawrence Bevan Active Member

qualifications and NHS

I believe the only definately required qualification for employment in the NHS is HPC registration it used to be State Registration.

I believe most posts advertised are asking for degree or similar qualification from the recognised schools + LA certification which would come with this. This guarantees to some extent the level of training and also neatly steps around the "discrimination" issue to the otherwise inevitable applications from grandfathered HPC registrants. Yes degrees are needed. Certainly in my trust I think just about every other patient is a diabetic/high risk or musculo-skeletal case. The case load is changing and that is what is ending the "C+C routine treatment core Chiropody" Senior II grade.

SCP membership is not required but usually thought of as being important for insurance coverage and union representation. I have been told that if the employing trust was successfully sued for what was deemed inappropriate or malpractice, the trust would be liable but would eventually turn to the employee and demend recompense. Thus one needs independent cover.

17. davidh

Hi Laurence,
    Thanks for that.

I would just add that the scene is one of changes.
    Assistant Grades are coming in in some Trusts, and podiatrists are moving more and more towards Specialist Grades. The NHS Gold Standard qualification for Specialist Grades is Masters or equivalent, so if Trusts aren't asking for these at the moment, the writing is on the wall that they will be in future.

All the HPC-recognised professional bodies in the UK carry much the same indemnity insurance.
    Regards,
    Davidh

18. Robin Crawley

Robin Crawley Active Member

To add to this debate, I'd like to say that it is interesting that a Grandparented Chiropodist/Podiatrist could potentially become the HPC Podiatry Council Member or Alternate Council Member if they won the HPc election. In fact some of the applicants in the upcoming election are Grandparented. They would then have quite an impact on Chiropody/Podiatry policy making in this country.

It is also true that Grandparented Chiropodists/Podiatrists can and do become Chiropody/Podiatry Partners and sit on HPC panels now.

When one sits on theses panels the title given to 'Chiropodists' is Chiropodist. Not that that really matters to me, but that is what happens...

Cheers,

Robin.

19. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

A Possible Change of direction?

Hi All,

Quote from DAVOhorn, "So What Now?"

Robin Crawley reminds us of the effects on the professions' direction brought about by Grandparents influencing policy from the top of the regulatory body the HPC! The creation of the HPC has as expected thinned out the Private Practitioners and divided them by virtue of the Real-world into,

1. Registered Chiropodist/Podiatrists.

2. Foot Health Professionals, (Unregistered and freshly trained beginning to filter through!), who in the main will soon be ready to be registered by the HPC! (Part of the HPC's stated intension I believe!).

3. A possible business threat to the Private Practitioner could be in the pipeline if and when the NHS. gets it's act together and starts training Chiropody Assistants under it's wing with tacit approval of the HPC.!!! (Even the SCP. has locked onto this one , possibly against their better judgment!).

The Public Sector ideally needs to achieve control of Chiropody if it is to govern the Profession. Whether the HPC. or the four independent Representatives of the Profession can have an effect on this move towards CENTRALIZATION or not will be something else to watch as it happens?

Can or does the NHS. intend to offer across the board chiropody services free and universal in the UK. or does this appear to be a figment of my imagination? However, the one thing I have left out of this is MONEY!!! Can we ask ourselves whether the will is there in the NHS. or Government to allocate a reasonably large sum of money to train a substantial force of Chiropody assistants, (Irrespective what you call them?), or do we make 40 to 60% of podiatrists redundant to pay for them? POWER RARELY RELINQUISHES POWER VOLUNTARILY!

"So what now?" Possibly a change in CHIROPODY DEMAND? By changing some of it's ELEMENTS,

1. Corn.
    2. Callus.
    3. Nail, cutting and their disorders.
    Is it possible to change DEMAND other than weeding patients out as has been done lately without there being an alternative for them other than the Private Sector???

I fear that I am predicting and opening the same can of worms that the HPC. was given birth to snuff out this problem in July of this year.

At this point in the argument and as a devils advocate I still appear to be throwing Aunt Sally's into the pool I fear? I have the feeling that I am not immune and am about to get splashed myself as one of the grandparented!

This Maelstrom of change is happening, but I care enough to take the risk of airing this and sit watching how the direction in the Profession can change as Robin has pointed out! For the first time since the 1960 Act became law, the Private Sector has influence at the top in the Council of the HPC. despite the raging uncertainty brought about by this CHANGE!

Regards .

Colin.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  20. DAVOhorn

Needs and Demand are different in the world of health care.

Podiatry is probably one of the most severly underfunded AHP services at this time.

The Govt keep publishing guidelines eg NICE and ask that the PCT's try and achieve these but fail to provide the funding.

As an example in my area of east anglia our PCT covers a population of 125k souls. This is a retirement so has a disproportionate number of elderly in its population.

So if my dept was fully staffed which it is not at this time (advertising post imminently) then we would consist of the following.

Head of dept

2 off Senior 1

4 off Senior 2 (1 post vacant)

1 appliance tech

Our maximum capacity when fully staffed is approx 4500 pts.

So at any one time 120,500 residents of my PCT are not in receipt of NHS Podiatry care.

If we are to try and meet the NICE TYpe 2 Diabetes guidelines then just to comply with that objective ALONE we would need to triple our staffing.

Then we would need the premises etc etc .

Then we add the falls prevention

Then we add NICE guidelines for the elderly

Then we add Childrens services.

Then we have the new Orthopaedic triage which is physio and gp led but we will have a decent input into this. ie reduce inappropriate orthopaedic referrals via an improved Bio mech service. We have just purchased a Gait analysis system for this.

we have not so far mentioned the at risk limb foot ie diabetes vascular neurological.

So WHERE WOULD YOU START ????????

Thank god i am not head of dept.

Oh yeah and if you had the courage to ask the public what they want from the service the reply would sadly be::::::::

6 weekly nail cutting

I used to give talks about the Dept a few years ago. Always at the end of the presentation when asking the audience ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS?

I want my nails cut for free.

was the sad response

regards David

21. Dyn Parry

Dyn Parry Member

Colin, I don't think this is the HPCs intension. There is unlikely to be another register set up for FHPs, & FHPs would only be able to join the podiatrists register after completing one of the approved degree courses. I know some who have qualified as FHPs after July 2003 have been registered. Some Route B'ers successfully registering as little as 1 year after qualification; obviously the HPC has been a bit lax with the 3/5 yr rule; but this is not going to continue! I supported grandparenting of unregistered podiatrists (sorry! & chiropodists; as u like to b called), but we have to draw the line.
    Enjoying your thread Colin!
    Kind regards
    Dyn

22. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

NHS:- The Impossible Solution!!!

Hi David,

After reading your last posting, (20.4.5), I stand aghast! Thought I had problems? What you have described leaves me with nothing but the upmost sympathy and respect for you and those working around you! (Humbling it is, and I thought I had problems, they are insignificant compared with yours!!!).

Judging from what you have written here you really have an impossible task!!! I now understand why, Unless there is a real turn around in the NHS.! I have a practise!!!

Short of a miracle, a pouring forth of money into the lower grades and resurrection of these grades in the NHS. it will always be an impossible task to fulfill that which the public wants and is demanding! Simple nail cutting every six weeks and resource for people like you to continue and do your job well!!!

If nothing else at least your posting is like scales falling from one's eyes! My conception of the NHS. Podiatry by my looking in from the outside just shows what can be missed when you are not sitting in the actual situation in the inside?

On the face of it you and your colleagues face an impossible task regarding finding a solution to your working environments problems? The only thing that occurs to me as a solution is past and gone forty years ago when good practical Chiropodist in places like the Red Cross were sent packing because their faces didn't fit with a certain trade union! (Question, if we are a profession working in the medical Field, why are some of us in a trade union? One of the reasons why I didn't train to be a Chiropodist thirty years ago was because if I had been successful, I would have been committing an offence in English Law because it was a trade union? But that is another story and even now it could be dangerous to publicly explain this! Another Department connected to Government David!).

Enough to say If the whole of Chiropody in the 1960's had been allowed to unite and be gainfully employed throughout the NHS. instead of carping and backbiting there was at that time enough Chiropodists around to go to six weekly visits leaving the brighter ones amongst us to solve the problems presented by Podiatry.

Dare I say it, a Diploma in Chiropody. A Degree level of Podiatry, with a united front in the Profession, (Do I see the Zürich pigs flying again?).

Now it's neither one thing nor the other. Something broken and I wonder if anyone can fix it???

SOMEBODY PROVE ME WRONG?

Regards,

Colin.

P.S. Sorry Dyn Parry, even with a Combined Honours, can only think of one thing at a time? Not ignoring you! (Hopefully not past it, although I don't know you know?).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  23. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

F.H.P's. Register!?!

Hi Dyn,

Reference your quote, ".........There is unlikely to be another register set up for FHP's......... "

You could well be right! However, I wouldn't count on it? Unless of course you know something that I don't? As this Thread has shown as it has developed I think that this might well be the case, (Somebody possibly living in 'ignorance is bliss' it seems again, me not you???).

Your proposition regarding HPC. intentions and a separate register for FHP's. could become a reality even if you and I could well do without them! They could still appear on the horizon in the near future and break somebodies toy, I think?

Chiropodist and Podiatrist would still remain protected on our Register, and their Register could be lawfully brought in without stopping HPC. carrying out their registration of us! All sorts of workers such as,

1. Health Carers in Private homes.

2. Domestic Cleaners in Hospitals, if MRSA. continues, directly under the Matrons' control, could happen???

3. Care workers doing low-grade nursing under Local Social Services definitely fit the bill! (Cutting toe-nails? Perish the thought!).

I am not trying to insult FHP's by mentioning the above in the next generation of the HPC. registration with them, but I'm sure that some of us can see where my thinking is going! (Even Pedicurists!).

FHP. a separate section of the Register, Dyn please prove me wrong!

It would be interesting for someone from the Alliance or Smae. to put in a welcome appearance here. (Welcome, I can only speak for myself of course! Registered I might be but unlike some, I am not prepared to deny my roots just because I have been allowed to join the enemy!

Regards,

Colin. (How did we end up with this one?).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  24. Fron

Fron Welcome New Poster

FHP register

Speaking as a humble FHP, I would just like to point out that the only reason I have ended up with this unenviable title is that I passed the smae course three months after the initial opening of the register. I already hold an honours degree in education having unwisely turned down a place at Nene college to study chiropody when I was nineteen. I have spent the intervening years trying to find a course that gave a proper qualification with the flexibility for those of us who have homes, families and financial committments. The smae was really the only alternative. Whose fault is this? Flexible learning is sadly lacking here I feel. I do not consider myself lacking in education or knowledge and spent my teaching years ploughing through text books on feet in case the opportunity ever arose. Will it via APU? Who knows? I guess that what I'm saying is it's sad that some smae members are now becoming rather sniffy about 'us'. Do you honestly think that your training and education were in any way diffeent?

25. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Fron!

Hi Fron,

I whole heartily second that!!! And from the recent past I have the same experience in another place! Some people have very short memories, to the point of hypocrisy!!! I was speechless when I heard what I heard coming out of a recent meeting I attended. This has nothing to do with the old State Registered Sector, by the way. Some people in the Private Sector have very short memories!

Fron. hang in there and wait events. Use your common sense and I forgiven you for passing your course! Get to work and be extremely careful with regard to the use of the words Chiropody/Chiropodist/Podiatry/ and podiatrist, Taboo norms I'm sorry to say for the immediate future.

Maybe a quiet word with HPC. over the phone and a letter to them expressing your feelings and doubts may be in order! Don't give up or give in!!!

Maybe DavidH might have a contribution here! Talk to the Alliance if you are unhappy I have a feeling they will welcome you with open arms! (Only trouble is they love their CPD.'s, (Where do you live? Colchester was it? That should be alright for CPD.s). CPD's. might not be such a bad thing anyway!). Sometimes doing nothing is best but not ease to apply???

Forgive the English! I've got to go, or the first one this morning will be done in my Nightie, sorry night-shirt (It's still cold up here!).!!!

A useful address might be: http://www.thealliancepsp.com/

Regards,

Colin. (Add something later if it occurs to me!).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  26. footmedic

footmedic Active Member

The Alliance had meeting with HPC President Norma Brook and HPC Registrar Marc Seale on 31st January 2005. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the Alliance’s stated intention to seek formal registration of Foot Health Practitioners.

Somuz Miah

27. Lawrence Bevan

Lawrence Bevan Active Member

FHP's

Is there really any point in registering this title?

Whos going to look up FHP in the yellow pages?

Is there any standardisation to the training? What would be the accepted norm? For Podiatry now it is the 3 year degree.

28. Lawrence

I think you will find that the HPC will register any new profession or sub-profession as they emerge. If protecting the scope of practice is important the profession could make representation to the HPC and point out that SMAE or the west midlands 'school' are simply circumventing the legislation by using a change of name. If the course and syllabus for FHPs are the same as they were when their students graduated as chiropodists then there is a strong argument for intervention, but if the NHS were to proceed with their plans for autonomous assistant grade practitioners - which would also be regulated - then that case would be undermined.

I would agree with the contributor that said podiatry courses need to be more flexible and there is an argument that we could or should develop a course with a common platform - say a diploma in podology - which could be the base for many other courses, but that is a seperate argument than creating new 'professions'. The question I would ask is whether the foot health market can sustain a multi-profession approach or is it best to have a sizeable majority practitioner in general practice with a single specialist discipline in foot & ankle surgery.

Mark Russell

29. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Yellow Pages!?!

Hi Lawrence,

Just a thought, (Not meant as a criticism of your last Post, I assure you!), if the Yellow Pages were to be put in a corner by a clever barrister, the Yellow Pages could go something like this,

SECTIONS:-

1. 'C'.- Chiropody, (Chiropodists).

2. 'F'.- F.H.P.'s. (Registered???).

3. 'H'.- HPC. - Registered Chiropodists/Podiatrists.

4. 'P'.- Podiatrists.

Not good for business if we are all placed behind 'F'. Particularly for 'P', no matter what the variants are before 'P'.

Regards,

Colin. (Sorry couldn't resist it!).

30. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

P.S. To Yellow Pages!

Hi All,

If F.H.P.'s are allowed to continue to exist, and I was an F.H.P. 'MONEY', I would undercut your prices and fees!!! Not good? I've just taken another St. John's Wart, and retired from work for the day!

Regards,

Colin.

31. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

Hi Fron ,

Many of us in the past have found ourselves in that very situation you describe and that the SMAE was the only available option that gave the flexibility to integrate with existing family commitments.

Don't despair too quickly as I feel many of those HPC grandparented who have not bothered to extend their learning past basic qualification and who now feel so important that they can be "sniffy" to FHP's may before long be joining their ranks !!!

I believe that once the dust has settled the pressure will be applied via cpd to improve educational and practice outcome levels that many will revert to FHP or call themselves something else .

I think there will always be a place for routine chiropody in the private sector because of patient choice and preference but as has been suggested here and in other places , is there enough work with all the current proposals to sustain us all in whatever title ?? Time will tell

Be Lucky

Derek ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2005
  32. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

The Future?

Hi All, (And Derek),

Well, we've had the Past and the Present! Now I wonder what the Future has in store?

One Consequence of the Systemic Cause, the Patient and how they influence the Demand on the Profession,

1. Supply and Demand in Chiropody, will it change?

2. Development and Specialization in Podiatry, (Will it encroach more on our doctor-surgeons territory in regard to minor foot surgery?).

3. There has to be a No.3! Just to keep the argument balanced and tidy? How about the NHS. taking over control and management of Podiatry with the blessing of the HPC. of course?

I leave the conclusions to you to answer if they are of interest to you out there of course?

My attention is drawn to Flexi-education modules from a comment from Fron above. Home grown modules could be made available from the remaining operating Private Schools and University Schools accredited through the HPC. (Even the Open University who are experts in this sort of thing! They could be approved and regulated to set and issue these courses and be designed for Website and Postal delivery! They could help all in the profession to extend their knowledge without loosing valuable work, especially any gaps in the grandparented training. Please note that I am not mentioning here the old CPD! But the new HPC. type CPD. which appear at this stage to be from a more enlightened source and with a more practical enforcement of direction!!!

New College Durham appears to have gone some way with this concept regarding Local anesthetics! It maybe a sign of the times, but not all of us are inclined to travel the length and breadth of the country in pursuit of this goal, it no longer appeals I'm afraid, and it costs quite a bit in lost work for single practitioners! But a correspondence course module of something that has a practical value in Practise could still hold my attention even with a couple or so practical days similar to the Open University Courses with Mini-Summer Schools in a Practical Module???

In the Grandparenting Section, I wonder how many of us there are to date? I was expecting to here of double the number who should exist by now? What is the age range etc.? There is the other problem some of us might have to face, in a couple of years time I could be older than the majority of my patients, (Sickening isn't it!). You must, however, keep the little Grey cells vibrating you know or things might just decide to seize up and die on you!

A couple of years ago I took a correspondence course run by my Local Authority on "The Science of Drugs." It was extremely interesting and useful to the Practise! There are still some useful insights into studying parallel subjects in medicine and science which could have an application in Chiropody put into modular form!!!

Am I right or am I wrong I wonder? HPC. might hold the initiative here as Derek has pointed out in his posting above!

Supply and Demand possibly disappearing into the future as Grandparenting disappears into the past!

Just think, if we didn't have all these PATIENTS to disturb our peace and tranquility what a wonderful time we could all have arguing amongst ourselves! Now there is something I didn't expect to finish with when I started this!

Regards,

Colin.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  33. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

Hi Colin (and All)

I and others have made this point in other threads ref CPD and the cost involved in travelling , lost fee earning time ect..

I think the "patient outcome" criteria as opposed to the points /hours system is a much more practical method especially for the single practitioner. I personally have been doing Sunday seminars as well as "Googleing" and occasionally posting but trying to keep up with things in general. Several institutions are offering "E" courses or cd rom modules for distance learning which again gives the flexibility many of us need.

The cpd must reflect the "scope of practice" pertaining to the individual practitioner .The "BUZZ" course at the moment amongst especially the grandparented is L A . I have an associate in my practice who is a hospital consultant that for 25 years trained NHS pods in the art of pna /tna or nail surgery in general . We now take referrals at my surgery from GP's and other chiropodists / podiatrists and also do repairs of botched attempts by those that were told by the PCT's to do the "quickie course" for GP's and those amongst our own ranks who's expertise is perhaps somewhat lacking.

All that are venturing into this field should perhaps read the small print of what will be required from a practical point of view after qualifying and the cost and implications involved in carrying out those requirements. :eek:

I am fortunate to be able to offer this service but not have the responsibilty of performing the procedure but my cpd would and does include wound treatments / healing ect .

I think the HPC will in time insist on a generalisation of education / patient outcomes as we will I feel be following the American system of "protocols" in the future run in the main by insurance companies . I will hopefully be retired before that occurs as it removes "clinical judgement" and substitutes catagories and levels of treatments allowed.

This"protocol culture" can be observed already in other parts of the NHS.

I have visited another site ( to lurk not post) renowned for it's argumentitive rudeness and mischief making to find many of the regular contributers advocating harmony, politness and moving forward in unity , WELL DONE !!!! :)

Perhaps us "oldun's" are listened to after all ??? ;)

What say you ?

Cheers

Derek

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2005
  34. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Horses for Courses!

Hi Derek,

Thanks for that! I was hoping for a reply like that. Sunday Seminars would be ideal for me if they were close?

Had a set back in early part of this year. The gearbox started to make funny noises on the car and I couldn't make my mind up whether to call the AA out or a friendly priest I know to give it the last rights! Never mind I got 137,000 miles from new out of it, it was like loosing an old friend. Yes it was the scrap-yard!

I'm back on the road, but looking for easy short journeys. Leeds and Sheffield, I wouldn't have thought twice about it years ago but now I might just be showing my age!

One possibility up here but I don't know how registration has effect them a local group, Brit.Ch.Assoc., Institute, SCP's and others. I haven't got the restriction on me that existed before I switched horses last year! Might enquire at this local group. Still interested in anything postal that you might be able to put my way if possible? My School at Cheshire closed down at the beginning of registration. An honest Principle Bob Roby was, and did what he considered was the right thing at the time. It must have cost him a bomb! It has left me a little in limbo education wise. I'm sure that I will have ways and means of useful CPD. next year when we see what is required of us by HPC.

Regards.

Colin.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  35. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

Hi Colin

You will find if you invest in modern machinery , air conditioning and automatic gearboxes along with other refinements can considerably shorten the journey !!! If you want to shorten it further , my last car a VW Golf VR6 (which I brought new but have joined the 4x4 brigade since) I can recommend :eek:

If you look at the SMAE web site or ring them they will give details of the distace learning /cd rom modules available. Several other podiatry forum sites give details of similar. Of course there is always the option to go to other disciplines for relevent knowledge.

I think as time goes on more and more options will become available which we will all be able to integrate into our respective routines and to meet our practice requirements

Cheers

Derek

36. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Hi Derek,

Yes, thank you for that! Duly noted and received.

Will leave it there for the present. Beginning to develop into a private conversation between us, yet again! Pleased to continue but it may be to the exclusion of others. Definitely my doing!

Regards,

Colin.

PS. I have been lurking, too? Broke the computer again and I've got one of the best protections on here! Nothing serious, just a good clean out has been needed!

37. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Things to Do?

Hi All (And Derek),

Things have been quiet all day? Have you seen any numbers of actual Pod.s in existence in the UK to date? The other place has attempted it without much success, or should I say total satisfaction? You were going to get a much longer one than this but it just disappeared down the tubes without a by-your-leave? You'll just have to use a crystal ball for the rest!

One thing though, I wonder how Fron has got on? She really is in a predicament and a half!!! Just how many more are there like her around at present?

Regards,

Colin. (Lets see if I loose this one now???).

38. Fron

Fron Welcome New Poster

Cheers Colin!

Hello Everyone.

Thanks for thinking of me Colin! My strategy at present is quite simple, I'm doing a part time nothing sort of job plus picking up work with little old ladies etc in my area. I'll just try to ride this one out and see what happens via the degree route. :)

39. davidh

Hi Fron,
    There are a few of you in the same position :eek:

Two things to consider are:
    1. More "foundation" degree courses are being developed. The Open University for instance, has it's generic Health Professional (tag whatever profession you want to belong to on the end) being scrutinised by the HPC at the moment - so you may simply be able to top-up your qualification by distance or open learning.

2. You are, first and foremost, in a business, whose purpose is to earn you money. There is no restriction on when and how you practice, only on what you call yourself. Your training is similar/the same in most respects to that undergone by HPC-reg podiatrists - you have to make use of that.

I don't see any predicament here - just an opportunity to make your business work. You are certainly not in the same predicament as David M, who is unable to practice at all because his country does not recognise Foot Health Professionals.
    Regards,
    Davidh

40. Fron

Fron Welcome New Poster

Thanks for info

Hi David,

Thanks for the info concerning the Open University. I have studied with them in the past and have been very impressed. I really don't mean to sound maudalin about things and you are right it's up to us all to make the most of opportunites. I would be interested to know what David M plans to do, apart from consider migration to colder climes.

Incidentally theres a FHP around here advertising as 15 years experience! In what I wonder?

Fron :)