Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Lateral Ankle Instability- Indication for surgery

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by fabio.alberzoni, Oct 21, 2013.

1. fabio.alberzoni

fabio.alberzoni Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I've a patient with a lateral instability who has gone to a orthopedic surgeon who told him that to be able to play soccer again needs a surgery.

The lateral ligaments seems to be completly broken (lateral tilt test) and and he has a bilateral forefoot valgus of 3/4°. The knee is varus and the heel too.

Does he need surgery? A good orthotic (latel kirby's skive, denton modification, root orthotic for ff valgus,...) could support enough?

In case of sugery.....what do you all suggest? tendon's transfer? Heel osteotomy with lateralization?

Thanks for attemption

fabio:drinks

2. A good custom AFO might do the trick. Think Richie style or a sport version of the old classic Arizona style brace. Either of these can combine the benefits of a foot orthotic with increased leverage because of the involvement of the lower leg.

3. fabio.alberzoni

fabio.alberzoni Active Member

30 yo with a AFO?He would like to play soccer...
    Could you publish a photo of a "Think Richie style or a sport version of the old classic Arizona style brace"

4. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Fabio it is quit possible his surgeon is going to do a lateral reconstruction only with capsule tightening and ligament repair. Most of this work may well be simply soft tissue with associated rehabiliation. Have you spoken to his surgeon in question? Maybe he can explain things more thoroughly and you may be able to suggest to him other methods he may not be aware of?

5. Sure, althletes wear AFOs all the time. Here are some pictures for you:

http://www.richiebrace.com/subpage.php?page=standardbrace
    http://www.bracemasters.com/products/drafo-dynamic-response-sport.php

I'm suggesting a custom AFO because of his triplanar deformity. He could try an over-the-counter ankle brace, but I doubt that he would find it comfortable.
    If he were to try over the counter bracing I would suggest the Active Ankle or ASO.

I happen to have just written a blog on this topic. Here's the link:
    http://walkwellstaywell.wordpress.com/2013/09/22/lace-up-ankle-braces/

It's not a technical piece at all - aimed at the general population, but I gives an overview.

Hope this helps,
    Angela

6. efuller

efuller MVP

An interesting question is if your patient can describe the detail of the problem that he is having. It is theoretically possible that anterior posterior shear is part of the instability that he is feeling. That would be a different beast than if it is frequent inversion sprains. The reason that I mention this is that the lack of ligaments doesn't create the inversion motion. The foot would start to supinate before the ligaments if they were intact would limit motion. Increased pronation moment from the ground in the form of a lateral skive or forefoot valgus intrinsic post (Denton mod??) would decrease the liklihood of inversion sprains.

If it were my foot, I'd try some proprioception training and an orthotic with the discussed above before I'd go to surgery. Before proprioception training you need to assess muscle strength. If the peroneals are weak.....That could be your problem right there.

Eric