Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Incidence of and risk factors for nodding off at scientific sessions

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by admin, Dec 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    From the latest Canadian Medical Association Journal:
    Full article.

2. dmdon

dmdon Active Member

Hmmmm

I remember reading a similar type of study looking into extra marital affairs syndrome (XMAS).

Fascinating stuff.

Regards

David

3. Felicity Prentice

Felicity Prentice Active Member

All praise and thanksgiving to the Administrator for this most wonderful cackfest. Well found!

4. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

zzzzz.......

what....eh....who? - sorry, nodded off for a mo :D

5. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Netizens

Netizens

By a strange coincidence I am a trained after dinner speaker and was a member of the Speakers' Club (UK) for many years. During which time I became the education officer for my local branch but cannot recall anything in the manual about coitus and public speaking. Quite a lot about breathing control and I have it down to 30 seconds myself which is quite a feat (excuse the pun).

Wearing my hat as a student of forensic sexology I would have to seriously question the distinction made in the paper relating to hetrosexual sex and would need to see more details to be convinced of the physiological effects on blood pressure post coital arousal. As far as I understood there was no significant difference , but I stand to be corrected (no pun intended).

What is on record which might support the research findings from Paisley is Dictator El Duce, Benito Mussolini and Michael Flattery (Lord of the Dance) both were reported to enjoy coitus prior to their public performances. That was with persons of the opposite sex, as opposed to each other. Also it is a matter of record that complete strangers would copulate in the aftermath of intense air raids during World War II. This may have been a spontaneous action to procreate the species at a time of fight or flight (high adrenaline bursts) or/and a natural way to reduce blood pressure. I have spoken to several madams in my capapcity as a research student (of course, I would say that) and many believe bedroom fanasy and role paly is consided to be a theraputic form of stress relief to their executive clients. Sure beats a blue and white pill.

BTW You can wake up now! :)

Cameron

6. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    PRESS RELEASE: 29-SEP-2017
    Why do we fall asleep when bored?

University of Tsukuba researcher discovers why we have the tendency to fall asleep in the absence of motivating stimuli, i.e., when bored.

Tsukuba, Japan - Losing yourself in your favorite things without sleeping, or falling asleep during boring lectures -- As humans, we often defy sleepiness and stay awake when attention is necessary, but also experience an inescapable desire to sleep in boring situations. The brain mechanisms governing the regulation of sleep by cognitive and emotional factors are not well understood. A new paper published in the journal Nature Communications finds that a part of the brain that is associated with motivation and pleasure - the nucleus accumbens - also can produce sleep. The new findings may explain why we have the tendency to fall asleep in the absence of motivating stimuli, i.e., when bored.

Researchers at the University of Tsukuba's International Institute for Integrative Sleep Medicine (WPI-IIIS) and Fudan University's Department of Pharmacology in the School of Basic Medical Sciences used chemo-genetic and optical techniques to remotely control the activities of nucleus accumbens neurons and the behaviors they mediate. As a result, the Japanese-Chinese team discovered that nucleus accumbens neurons have an extremely strong ability to induce sleep that is indistinguishable from the major component of natural sleep, known as slow-wave sleep, as it is characterized by slow and high-voltage brain waves.

"The classic somnogen adenosine is a strong candidate for evoking the sleep effect in the nucleus accumbens," says Yo Oishi, the lead author on this project. Adenosine has long been known to represent a state of relative energy deficiency and to induce sleep via adenosine receptors. A specific subtype of adenosine receptors, the A2A receptors, are densely expressed in the nucleus accumbens. Caffeine, the most widely consumed psychostimulant in the world, produces its arousal effect also in the nucleus accumbens by blocking A2A receptors. Compounds that activate A2A receptors in the nucleus accumbens may open safe therapeutic avenues for treating insomnia, which is one of the most common sleep problems with an estimated prevalence of 10-15% in the general population and 30-60% in the older population.