Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

UK Practical Acupuncture for Podiatrists

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Shane Toohey, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Shane Toohey

Shane Toohey Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    The first UK Practical Acupuncture for Podiatrists Workshop is now open for registration and the first registration has come through!:welcome:

This workshop will be conducted at the University of East London on February 1,2,3.

It will be presented by Dr Paul Conneely and Shane Toohey and has been certified by the Society for Acupuncture Certification for the participants.

Places in the workshop are limited due to the practical nature of the workshop where participants will work in pairs.

For more information and registration please go to http://www.artisanorthoticlab.com.au

Dr Conneely has over 20 years experience in the use of dry needling and is a medical doctor with a Masters in Musculoskeletal Medicine and Post Grad dip in Pain Management. Shane Toohey has been using acupuncture in the treatment of podiatric conditions since 1991 and has a Post Grad Dip in Acupuncture.

The workshop is designed for you to immediately use the techniques taught as soon as you leave the workshop.

Earlybird registration closes on 11/12/2009 and is 610GBP.
    Standard registration is 660 GBP.

Cheers
    Shane

2. Stanley

Stanley Well-Known Member

Shane,

When are you going to give it in the US?

Regards,

Stanley

3. Shane Toohey

Hi Stanley,
    Great to hear from you.

QUOTE=Stanley;118186]Shane,

When are you going to give it in the US?

Regards,

Stanley[/QUOTE]

We would love to present this workshop in the US, of course.

It took such a long time getting it all organised for the UK that US seems daunting.

I suppose we really need some one in the US to set it up for us to just fly in and deliver. High hopes, hey?

Cheers
    Shane

4. Stanley

Hi Shane,

Tell me what is involved. I'll see what I can do.

By the way, I find the first thing that I need to do when I get into the acupuncture system is to check GB 42 to see if it it sensitive. If it is, then there is a sprain of the bifurcate ligament that needs to be corrected. I was wondering if you found this also.

Regards,

Stanley

5. Shane Toohey

Hi Stanley,

Thanks for considering giving us assistance in coming over your way.

I do know that our workshop is very effective at giving the essentials for immediate access to using acupuncture.

We run a practical workshop so that bites of information are interspersed with participants working with partners on tables/pliinths. So we like two at a table which is used as a desk then treatment table. This method really enhances the retention of the information being presented. Obviously, supplies required include a selection of needles, wipes, sharps containers, cold spray. We ask participants to also bring along a towel and pillow for themselves.
    The venue therefor needs to be large enough to hold 10 -15 tables and for there to be enogh tables for the participants. These types of venues can be hard to find and often are only found in teaching facilities for Podiatrists, physical therapists, masseurs etc. Otherwise plinths need to be hired, which again is not necessarily easy.
    I usually only use a white board as the manual that is provided is the main teaching aid. Pre-reading is advised before the workshop.

The next thing is having participants in the workshop and so notice has to be advised in various media and particularly access is required into local professional journals/newsletters.
    Any local professional and political issues which often you only find out about later need to be addressed.

I would say that the venue and dates need to be finalised about 6 months in advance of the workshop.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.
    Does it sound achievable?

Re GB42. I actually use GB41 quite often for problems in the lateral foot and as a distal point for conditions in the lateral leg. GB42 is very close to it as both are in the 4/5 intermetatarsal space. They possibly are stimulated togther quite often.
    I can't say that I particularly use the point for sprains of the bifurcate ligament, although it could be included and now with your advice I certainly will have a good look!

Cheers
    Shane

6. Shane Toohey

For our UK readers who may be interested in the workshop, I have been advised that the notice in Podiatry Now does not include the link to the webpage that contains the workshop information and registration response.
    Please go to: http://www.artisanorthoticlab.com.au

Sorry for this oversight.

Cheers
    Shane

7. Stanley

Shane,

Thanks for the info on the point. I was looking at the chart in my AK book, and it is not at the same place as Acupuncture.com who agree with you. http://www.acupuncture.com/education/points/gallbladder/gb42.htm
    I find GB 41 sensitive in cases of bifurcate sprains. Wheh a patient comes in a requires acupuncture/acupressure, I palpate GB 41, and if sensitive, I correct the bifurcate ligament. I get the change I want. I will wait a few minutes and then reevaluate to see if more treatment is then required.

Regarding the seminar, I think we need to talk privately.

Regards,

Stanley

8. Shane Toohey

Thanks Stanley,

I'll get in touch privately.

Cheers
    Shane

9. Sally Smillie

Sally Smillie Active Member

Is this training recongnised for UK and AUS? As a recognised qualification?
    Will professional indemnity insurance cover you for pratice in both countries?

10. Shane Toohey

Hi Sally,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I have been away doing a workshop in Brisbane, which was a great time of course.

You asked:

I'l clarify my response as much as possible as the situation in UK and Australia is different.
    This workshop, "Practical Acupuncture for Podiatrists" has been accepted by the Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists n the UK as providing the participants their Society Acupuncture Certificate. This certification means that the holder will be qualified to obtain professional indemnity for using acupuncture in the treatment of conditions that they treat as a podiatrist.
    So they have indemnity to use acupuncture. They are not qualified to call themselves nor practice as Acupuncturists. Does that make sense?

In Australia, it is considered that podiatrists by nature of their training in skin penetration, local anaesthesia traning and surgical training have the use of acupuncture nededles already within their scope of practice. So provided that the podiatrist is treating a podiatric condition and follows standard guidelines for asepsis the use of needles is within the scope of practice. As for the UK this workshop is not sufficient for a podiatrist to call themselves an acupuncturist nor obtain a provider number as an acupuncturist.

The workshop is about providing podiatrists with those elements of acupuncture that are useful for treating conditions that are commonly presented in clinic. In other words the workshop does not train podiatrists to treat non podiatric or general health conditions.

Hopefully this helps, Sally. Please ask for any more clarification if required.

Cheers
    Shane

11. Shane Toohey

Practical Acupuncture Workshop Information

Please note, for those interested in gaining their Acupuncture certification in the UK or those who already have it but would like to expand their understanding and use of acupuncture as a Podiatrist, that the earlybird discount expires next week and the workshop often fills about that time.

Information available on the webpage, clickk next to LONDON
    www.artisanorthoticlab.com.au

Cheers
    Shane

12. pd6crai

pd6crai Active Member

I have to say this was THE BEST and most practical course I have ever done. I would recommend anyone in the UK to do it.

I did mine in Australia, and it has been so beneficial, I was amazed!!!!

13. Shane Toohey

Thanks Katherine,
    It is not difficult working out who you are!!!
    My focus really is that the workshop is practical and used.
    I am committed to this modality becoming commonly used as it is effective, conservative and inexpensive with only miniscule possibilities of any harm compared to most other therapies.
    I do get great feedback which is veru satisfying.
    Hopefully we can get this up and running in the UK as it has taken a lot of work getting us to this point.
    Cheers
    Shane