Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Private Practice or The NHS?

Discussion in 'Employment in the United Kingdom' started by Radhika92, Jun 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Radhika92

Radhika92 Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all,

I've just completed my final year at uni and have passed all my exams (thank God!!)...I was just wondering if someone could provide me with some guidance regarding what may be better for a graduate just out of uni regarding employment. I've heard different things from different people regarding both working in the private sector and the NHS. I know that both forms of employment have their own pros and cons but from experience maybe of your own or someone you know what would you say?

Sorry I hope that's not too vague,

2. Pod Shin

Pod Shin Member

Hi and congratulations on your achievements. Make the most of graduation!

To answer this question umm most of my cohort and myself knew during the finals what avenue we wanted to go into. However it's not always plain simple. As you may be aware the NHS are losing funding and there are few jobs out there than there once used to be. That doesnt mean that there isnt any and I would register with nhs jobs to get notifications. I remember one of my lecturers telling me and its very true to this point. In that "you got to be willing to relocate and move where the jobs are. You can't be stubborn on your first job. Once you have built experience then you can start being more picky".

There are pros and cons working in both sectors. I worked in private practice first before moving onto the nhs. I think the great thing in the nhs is that there is a mentorship programme when you first start. You don't necessarily get this mentorship in private practice. Word of caution be careful on the fee sharing aspect too as employers may want more just because you are a new graduate. Don't give in to them and remember you got to earn a living too.

However saying all of this, whilst you have weighed up both options. Dont forget there is post graduate studies too. So don't rule this out either.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Shahin

3. Radhika92

Radhika92 Member

Hi Shahin,

Thank you and yes I definitely will! Yeah the fee sharing aspect of private work is a concern of mine, do you have an idea of what percentage of the fee a new graduate would recieve? I do intend to study further, I'm very interested in pod surgery, so hopefully if everything works out i'll be going down that avenue. Was it difficult to get into the NHS after working privately?

Thanks,

Radhika

4. Pod Shin

Pod Shin Member

I think general consensus would be 50-50 but it depends how you negotiate this with your employer. I wanted to find work in London as its home but realised jobs were not becoming available so looked outside of London. I wouldn't be disappointed if you didn't get a job from your first interview. Practice makes perfect and you then hone in on your interview skills