Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatry role

Discussion in 'Employment in Australia' started by UK POD, Jun 29, 2016.

1. UK POD

UK POD Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all,

I'm a UK based Podiatrist looking to make the move overseas, I would like to make the move to Queensland, but have not ruled out other locations. I would be making the move with my family (2 point 4 children) but I'm unsure about the chances of employment, and the best visa to apply for 457? 189? or 190 !!!!

I've had my skills assessed and have just sent my registration back.

Any advise would be very welcome.

2. Canuk

Canuk Active Member

Hi there,

I am a UK trained Pod myself living in in Coffs Harbour NSW with my own clinic. I am looking for a full time Podiatrist looking for Stability. We are in NSW North Coast about 3.5 hrs from Brisbane by Car. Coffs is a growing community of around 80,000 people. Coffs Harbour is noted as the best climate in Australia. It has a warm summer with no humidity and a mild winter. I can and I am willing to sponsor on a 457 Visa as I am registered for the Visa already. I can help with info on all Visas as I and my family came on a Skilled migration visa. If interested in talking about your visa or the role in our clinic email me on awhitepodiatrist@hotmail.com

Let me know if you would like to skype

Kind Regards

Alan White

3. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Welcome to Podiatry Arena! Great that you have had advice from colleagues who have paved the way!

Good luck with your dream to join us here.

Cheers

4. AngelaHolland

AngelaHolland Active Member

Hi Uk Pod,
    I hope this finds you well. I am seeking a Podiatrist for my Mount Isa practice which is located in Northwest Queensland. The practice is very diverse covering all aspects of Podiatry and as it is the only private podiatry practice in that area, very busy!
    I have a long history of employing UK podiatrists on 457 visas and I am a preapproved sponsor. The position details are:

• Generous remuneration plus bonus
    • Company car
    • Accomodation including utilities
    • Flights
    • 5 weeks annual leave/annum
    • CPD and Liability insurance allawances

Further opportunities available for the successful applicant
    Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require more detailed information regarding the position.
    regards Angela
    angela@afootc.com.au

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  5. Hi

If working in private practice working on a 20 minute patient list you will be earning the practice $180 per hour plus / minus $10 on general treatments.

If you do orthotics $ 500 plus . Nail surgery $500 plus. You may be doing 2 /3 casts per day or 2/3 nail surgery per day

If you are good and generate a lot of patients you will earn the business $200,000. To $400,000 maybe more you could see 100 patients per week I have achieved this.

You could work on a % basis 40% up to 55% depends how good you are! You will earn more money but ATO clamping down but remember if the practice can employ a new grad you lose out they are cheaper than you

So your salary should reflect the above $85,000 absolute minimum also a
    % of generated profits maybe extra $10,000 to $50,000 It depends how they value your services. If in a capital city considerably more living in Melbourne or Sydney very expensive .

Keep a weekly check on the profits you have generated and review your salary package every 3 months and ask for a salary review

Remember if you are working in a remote area ask a premium why because no one wants to work there ��

Prior to interview ask why did the previous Poditrist leave . Speak to the leaving Podiatrist. Do research into the practice and the geographical area climate etc.

Ask to see a day sheet for 4 weeks one that the Podiatrist who left has completed this will facilitate your salary negotiations.

Ask for a practice fee list .

Oh don't forget don't let them package your salary to include your super and 5 week holidays per year and fuel if using your own car for work commitments.

And finally there are more sharks on land than in the sea . Just because they smile beware ��

I hope it helps and if I can help please ask and good luck !

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  6. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Hi, interesting points made here.

If 40 - 55% are interesting figures to consider. If this is the pay for short term locums it is viable. If it is long term that it is not viable.

For those who have done a cost analysis of running a biz, they realise that it is not economically viable. These figures have often been based on Podiatrists going into biz and having little experience or knowledge of the actual costs of running a biz.

In the early days of being a new employee, Podiatrists are servicing an existing clientele that has been developed often through long hours of blood, sweat and tears by the owner.

Generating new business, bringing in new clients is when an employee starts to have a positive impact.

Are business owners supposed to cover their expenses, which include an amount that covers their own hours, the bills, their superannuation, insurance, interest rates, costs of running the biz and then are they actually allowed to make a profit? If there is no profit in business, then there will be no jobs for employees.

I find the discussion regarding expectations and pay an interesting one. Thanks

Again good luck finding your place, may you go job searching with an open mind and heart.

7. podiatry24

podiatry24 Welcome New Poster

That is laughable to think that anyone would agree to those terms that Russell has suggested. I bet Russell doesnt expect to get less pay if the profits he brings in are less than his average. Obviously has not owned a business before. Totally agree with Heather 100%. Good luck and best wishes UK Pod

8. Hi

I have operated my own business for 10 years.

I have worked in several practices been paid 50%

If practices want top class practioners they have to pay .

Working on $ 60 for general treatment see 20 patients per day work 37 hours per week 45 weeks per year gross profit generated $ 270,000. If the practice has 4 Podiatrists generating this per pod therefore the expenses re operating cost of the practice is 25% per pod therefore $67,500 % expenses equates to unit profit per pod $202,500 is it fair the pod receives 50% ? The pod receives no holiday pay working as contractor responsible for own super etc. these figures assume no orthotics or nail op we all know this could generate at least extra $150,000

It is a starting point for negotiations . End point is both parties happy with the contract and continuity of patient satisfaction when the pod stays rather than leaving after 6 months for an extra $100 pay peanuts you get monkeys'!!!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016