Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Heel Sole Differentials

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by RobinP, Feb 17, 2016.

1. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Ever struggle to recommend a trainer to a patient because you are not sure what the heel sole differential is and you are concerned about it being too low or too high?

It can be difficult to tell in many trainer designs what the heel sole differential (or drop height ) is. Also, the last and drop height differ between ladies and gents!!

Having not posted on Podiatry Arena for some time, this could be information that is completely out of date and that everyone already uses. However, I recently stumbled across a running shoe review website called RunRepeat

One of the things that it is great for is filtering eg weight of shoe, type of shoe but most importantly for me - the heel sole differential. So to do this, click on the "review" tab at the top right of the home page

On that page, there is an expansion menu on the side that says Mens specs/Womens specs. Expand that and one of the specs is Heel sole differential on which you can move the slider to filter out or in shoes with certain heel heights.

I wouldn't want to vouch for the accuracy of the info but a great tool for patients when you say to them that they have an ankle lunge of 30 degrees and need to consider a heel sole differential of 10mm.

Like I said, everyone might already be using this or it has already come up on here but I thought it was a gem of a website (I have no financial interest BTW)

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    RunRepeat is an impressive site and what they do is awesome. I have had a bit of dialogue with the site owner over it!

Often a running shoe review is not helpful on its own. What RunRepeat have done is aggregate a zillion running shoe reviews to get some aggregate scores on each shoe and allow you to compare running shoes.

The dialogue that I have had with the owners is the threshold at which they have enough reviews of a particular shoe to include it. I follow a number of niche manufacturers (eg Airia, Enko, Ampla etc) and they do not show up at RunRepeat because of the aggregation threshold they use. Even the hype surrounding the recent Asics Metarun did not meet the threshold to be included.

3. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

It's a good point. Although the site is essentially a review website, I am sure many people use it in the same way I do which is to be able to access and compare specs on certain trainers such as weight and drop height

It seems a shame that smaller brands miss out on the inclusion. I understand the reasoning but the could employ a "weighting" system where the "power" of the review has an effect on the ranking ie more reviews = more power and potentially higher ranking?

Some representation is better than none?