Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Severe pain in MS foot-cuboid area

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by mahtay2000, Aug 21, 2006.

1. mahtay2000

mahtay2000 Banya Bagus Makan Man

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have a pt who has MS.
    She has a severe pain, present while walking, on the dorso-lateral aspect of her left foot near the EDB area with heat and swelling. There is no pain elicited on resisted movement.
    There is a large hard lump on the ?cuboid. No pain can be elicited from movement of any joints in any direction.
    The only pain is on palpation of the swelling at and around the area.
    I have ordered x-rays to see the position of the cuboid in relation to other bones, and I have suggested blood pooling to see the extent of inflammation.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be?
    Do you need any more info to have a better idea of whats going on?
    Many thanks to any and all who can help
    Mahtay

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Best guess is some sort of partial dislocation from muscle weakness.

3. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

4. mahtay2000

Thanks Craig, I thought the same. She has what some surgeons call flexor substitution-very flat and straight, almost dorsiflexed 2-4 toes. There is toe walking and late pronation present.
    I have padded the heels with PPT (R>L) to try and change the dynamics between the Calcaneus and the Cuboid.
    Any other things anyone can suggest?

5. John Spina

John Spina Active Member

Maybe an AFO can help her or a firm well supported shoe.

6. jjvaljean

jjvaljean Welcome New Poster

Most common disorder of this type is called "cuboid syndrome". Treatment consists of applying 1/4" beveled felt trapazoid, (or mid-met pad), to plantar foot, (extends from distal 1/3rd of mets to just anterior heel), with Campell's strap. Condition arises from jamming of dorsal calcaneal-cuboid joint on propulsion of (loose) pronated foot. The pad stabilizes the joint. Relief is usually immediate. This assumes "lump" is really inflammation. If not successful, aspiration or biopsy of lump may be indicated. Sonography may be most helpful. Dislocation would be quite rare, following trauma, and would be accompanied ecchymosis. Hope this is helpful.

7. mahtay2000

The cuboid is displaced dorsally, not plantarly as in usually presented cuboid syndrome.
    But I will try an AFO-these things might work yet!
    thanks!!!
    Mahtay

8. John Spina

John Spina Active Member

Correct me if Iam in error,but isn't cuboid syndrome mostly a sports medicine condition-dancers,for example.Why I asked this is because(and this may not be the case either) the patient has MS,so I do not think she is all that active.

9. mahtay2000

She is not very active, she is just fighting to keep her independence; but by walking on her anterior foot with major heel lift, the rearfoot is hyper-hypermobile.
    I forgot to add that I suggested a good old off the shelf elastic ankle brace. She reported back that she used this and the effect was immediate and marked.
    I assume it gave the surrounding soft tissues a rest. If she deteriorates later on I will upgrade to and AFO I think.
    Cheers
    Mahtay

10. bearfootpod

bearfootpod Member

hey mahtay

have you got the xrays back yet?? if so what did they show re-cuboid position

interesting case!!!

cheers

claire

11. mahtay2000

Yes I got the X-Rays back and they showed some of the loveliest joints in town!!!
    Some Sub-chondral sclerosis but no obvious subluxation.
    Mahtaciosness