Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

'Born to Run' to be made into a movie

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Craig Payne, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

Attached Files:

2. bstarkey

bstarkey Member

Oh Great!! :craig:this is probably going to revive the barefoot running debate! perhaps the footwear companies are funding the film??

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Its not clear on which part of the book and how it will be made into a movie.

I not sure a movie will rekindle interest ... interest and participation in barefoot running has been trending downward since mid- to late- 2012.

There is no doubt the book has had an impact and it is interesting to follow.

I have seen it asked in a number of places, 'what is your favorite running book?' - typically up to 50% of the replies are Born to Run!

I just reread the book again last week (I actually have 2 copies) - when I read the book, I just see a lot of made up stuff. The chapter on "research" is appalling, full of misunderstandings, misquoting, misusing, etc of the research.... but the fan boys believed it.
    Social anthropologists and ethnographers have pointed out numerous errors and mistakes in the books ...... but the fan boys believed it.

The book is just a good yarn, full of errors, yet for so many it was "life changing" ... that is the bit I don't get; why did it change so many lives when it was so full of all the misunderstandings, misquoting, misusing, etc. Why is that so many see such a different book when they read the same thing?

You only have to look at the one star reviews at Amazon.com. The fan boys attacking those one star reviews in the way that they do, only point out just how "on the money" those reviews were. (the reviews are hoot to read!)

For eg

4. I think it was after I called Chris McDougall's book "Born to Run" a book of semi-fiction, that he started calling me the "Angry Podiatrist". McDougall cherry-picked his stories and data to make his book more popular. I'm just glad others are finally now seeing clearly what a crock of **** this book actually was.:butcher::bang::craig:

5. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    While it is easy to deconstruct the book and show there is so much made up stuff in it, it still allegedly changed a lots of peoples lives and up to 50% of runners think its the best running book they read!

Its probably just the lack of scientific understanding, critical thinking skills and the use of logical fallacies that is the reason so many fell for it.

But what hope is their for humanity when a survey showed that 80% of the population think that there should be food safety warning labels on food that contains DNA (...I kid you not!)

6. BEN-HUR

BEN-HUR Well-Known Member

Seriously - the movie is at least 5 years too late... I suspect very little will come from it as far as reigniting the barefoot movement & "debate" in concerned. If anything does re-surface, then there is more than enough accumulated research/material (on this specific area) over the past 5 years at one's disposal to put to rest any regurgitated reasoning of the book's (Born to Run) fictitious claims. Albeit, some will no doubt come out of the closet on inspiration from the movie. It would be interesting to see how much of that so-called 'science' material (i.e. biomechanics, anthropological/evolution related) ends up in the movie.

There is an appropriate quote (I believe from Mark Twain) that comes to mind when assessing this "barefoot" topic...
    "I lie can travel half way around the world, while the truth is putting on its shoes". ;)

Throughout history people have loved a good yarn... at the sake of truth (empirical evidence)...

[​IMG]

... it happens in many topics :rolleyes:

7. ayrtonsenna

ayrtonsenna Member

Well Matthew McConaughey should start to run barefoot to get into de character...

8. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Runners World are reporting:

9. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I would hate to think how many times I have read how much the fan boys are waiting for this movie to resurrect barefoot running.

But:
    18 months later and no sign of the movie. Has it been shelved?
    No credits to the movies on McConaughey's bio's:
    http://www.movieinsider.com/p1294/matthew-mcconaughey
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000190/

No studio backing it; no director announced; no release date:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movie/born-to-run-2016

According to IMDb Pro, its still at the stage of "script development"

10. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I keep monitoring to see where things are at with this movie and still nothing after all these years ....

I did just come across this old YouTube video from Christopher McDougall where he "airs his discontent with the latest script for the BORN TO RUN film adaptation"