Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Lateral ankle sprains- orthoses

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by WelshPod, Mar 10, 2011.

1. WelshPod

WelshPod Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi everyone!
    I am a second year pod student at UWIC and have a research design to write. I am looking to write mine on the success of the use of orthoses for recurrent lateral ankle sprains. I plan to do a randomised control trial so am looking for a placebo insole to use as a control and an orthotic to control the extra movement to pronate the foot more. I have some ideas but would appreciate some other views!

Thanks!!

2. Griff

Griff Moderator

Randomised controlled trial for an undergraduate dissertation?? You won't have the time to do this surely?

There is no such thing as a placebo insole/orthosis.

3. :welcome: to the Arena !!!

Ians point about Placebo orthotics is a very important one. We discussed it a little while ago Ill try and find the thread for you.

4. WelshPod

WelshPod Member

It is not a dissertation it is another essay and i was looking for something to use that one group of patients can be offered to use as a control. It does not necassarily need to do anything in particular, just so patients are unable to differentiate as to which group they are in. Thanks

5. WelshPod

WelshPod Member

m weber
    Thank you for the notice about the thread on placebo orthoses. i have found it and reading it now!

6. For those reading here the thread Foot Orthoses -placebo

7. efuller

efuller MVP

You could assess design variables instead of placebo. For example you could give one set of patients a forefoot valgus intrinsic post and another no intrinsic post. You would have to ignore forefoot to rearfoot relationship to do this and cast everyone so that they all have a perpendicular forefoot to rearfoot relationship. My sense is some labs ignore the heel bisection anyway. (No evidence just a feeling.)

There is more than one cause of lateral ankle instability. Delayed peroneal reaction time can also cause instability. A laterally positioned STJ axis can be another cause of ankle instability. Folks with sinus tarsi syndrome get delayed peroneal reaction times. Sinus tarsi syndrome is often caused by the foot being maximally pronated with a high pronation moment from the ground.

You shouldn't give intrinsic forefoot valgus posts to people who cannot evert their lateral column off of the ground because they have no range of motion in that direction. Let me know if you want to explain that more.

Eric