Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Surgical consult required?

Discussion in 'Foot Surgery' started by whaley, Sep 13, 2006.

1. whaley

whaley Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    A 47 year old lady presented to the clinic today with severe HDs, sub B/2nd and L/4th MPJS, with thick HK sub R/4th MPJ. These HDs are very deep and the size of a small pea (sorry for no exact dimensions)

The patient has no medical history and these HDs presented only in the last 3years. There is a strong family history of RA with her mother and grandmother.

Her foot structure is unremarkable, only slight largening of her 1st MPJS, but nowhere near as severe enough to alter her biomechanics detrimentally to create such large HDs.

I have been unable to provide her with a reasonable explanation for the severity of these HDs. After seeing her today, I have considered taking Xrays however is that the right place to start or is this a simple case with a simple solution that I am overlooking?

Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated for the patient and also myself!!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  2. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Accessory Ossicles?

Is she a smoker?

3. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Hi.

Interesting case. It raises two questions for me.
    You said:
    "but nowhere near as severe enough to alter her biomechanics detrimentally to create such large HDs"

Is your pt quite certain they' (the lesions) have only been present for 36 months?
    Your supposition that the biomech has been altered. Altered from what?
    Or did she, like most of the patients and research subjects I've seen over the years, already have biomech features which were not great for hard, flat surfaces, and have simply worsened with time?

Regards,
    david

4. whaley

whaley Welcome New Poster

Hi David,

The lesions have definately been there for that period of time only.

Her biomechanics do not alter greatly from the 'norm'. Her slightly enlarged 1st MPJS cause a decrease in ROM at that joint however the patient seems to be compensating with an abductory twist. It still leads me to the point that if this is quite a common foot type with common compensations then why do we not see these sized lesions more often?

I feel there is something more sinister going on!

Kirsten

5. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Hi,
    Associated factors may be:
    Smoking (as Peter suggested), pt-weight, pt activity-level, pt-shoegear.
    I think, too, that "the normal", when it comes to feet and biomech, embraces many different types. So there could, for example, also be a variation in met length and/or lig laxity.

I understand that you are sure these lesions have only been present for three years. If this was my pt I would start by questioning this, and go on from there.
    As I said - interesting case!
    Regards,
    david

6. footfixer

footfixer Member

Sounds daft .... but possibly warts. I have (in frustration) blunt dissescted a few and sent for histology only to return with a pathology of mixed hyperkeratosis with rete pegs and associated viral elements.

Try biopsy and see what you get.

7. simonf

simonf Active Member

another vote here for warty lesion, Ive seen a couple of these in the last year, the patient having been refered for surgery consult as a last resort, having spent time in orthoses dept, electro surgery and generalist clinics.

histology returned viral elements

good luck

s :)

8. g c mann

g c mann Member

try a skyline view x-ray and look for plantar movement of met heads also do bloods and look for hla b27 and/or rh factor.
    good luck.
    Grahame Mann FCPod S Podiatric Surgeon

9. Felicity Prentice

Felicity Prentice Active Member

Any chance of a genodermatosis? It's very late in the day to display the clinical signs, and you don't mention any family history, but stranger things have happened.....

10. What medications has she been on? Any chance of arsenic exposure?

What shoes does she wear? Nails in funny places?