Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

BUPA Podiatry network

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Akbal, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Akbal

Akbal Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Dear All,

Has anyone here had contact with BUPA regarding changes in the fees BUPA will pay for Podiatry. What are your thoughts I think £25 for 50 minute follow up is impossible to consider.

Akbal

2. Catfoot

Catfoot Well-Known Member

Akbal,
    That's derisory ! :eek:

regards

Catfoot

3. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

I received a letter ( as I believe did many others) from BUPA recently inviting me ( as one of their preferred podiatrists) to join their new network, which was quite surprising as I de-registered with them 2 years ago.:wacko:

Frankly what the conditions were they required to apply in my view prohibits podiatrists but podiatric surgeons seem ok as much of what they want they would have already.

I de-registered with them because the few that came to me for Biomx /orthotics, nail surgery etc were given such a hard time because one week they would cover orthotics but not diagnostics then they would cover diagnostics and not orthotics and so it went on, the patients usually ended up paying themselves anyway. I got fed up with it and so ,their application form is filed....in the waste bin.
    Cheers
    D;)

4. blinda

blinda MVP

Yeah, I got one of those. Decided not to bother for a few reasons, one of which you outlined, plus I fail to see the necessity of a yearly advanced CRB check (which has to be paid by me). Just not worth the hassle for the few BUPA referrals I receive.

Cheers,
    Bel

5. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

I've opted out too.

The main problem I have with this contract is that if a patient wants to visit me they will not be able to top up their BUPA fee allowance.
    In other words, The fees Akbal quoted are written in stone - that's what BUPA expects their members to pay, and nothing over.

I can live without that, and I'll take a certain amount of pleasure in referring each and every BUPA patient back to BUPA for an explanation;). I referred one back yesterday and I have to say that felt a good deal better than me having to wrangle with BUPA over what they will pay/won't pay.

I don't know who brokered this deal for podiatry, but they haven't done the profession any favours. As an eminent colleague pointed out yesterday, where BUPA goes the rest will follow at some stage.

6. Tim VS

Tim VS Active Member

I went through the re-registration process as I've had a few referrals from them in the past year. They contacted me as well and tried to knock me down to £25 for a follow up. It's been many years since I charged that low for anything! I turned them down and made a counter offer. I have not heard back from them yet so we shall see. I find it useful to have the various insurance companies on board but I feel a line must be drawn somewhere.
    It's good to hear from other pods about this; I shall post back when I get more news ;)

Regards,

Tim

7. Lawrence Bevan

Lawrence Bevan Active Member

As far as I know, its up to 50 minutes for a follow-up so the appt can be 5 minutes if you want. There is no limit on how many or how frequent. Currently.

The maximum allowed for gait analysis (video) is £160 - with consultant referral.

You can charge a top-up to the patient, with agreement from the patient. However with the fact that they will pay BUPA an "excess" when they make the claim and BUPA wont cover the charge of an orthotic, if you charge a top up on your fees as well Im sure most patients will think "this is a waste of time".

Overall though, where on earth did they get £25 as a "maximum"?? However given that the NHS "any qualified provider" tariff is coming in at £90 for 4 appointments including any appliance they are being generous !!

Any Podiatric Surgeons out there willing to divulge what they are being offered?

8. davidh

Not according to the nice lady from BUPA who I spoke to a couple of weeks ago.
    These are the fees and we have to stick by them.

9. Lawrence Bevan

Section 5 of the T&C's - "charging memebers personally" can be interpreted both ways on this issue.

There seem to be very few people at BUPA who do know what they are doing! :)

10. davidh

That has certainly been my experience over the years:D.

11. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

Thats why I de-registered, the ones I spoke to were clueless :wacko: at one stage I was told my surgery didn't conform to their "list for foot surgery". I told them nail surgery and minor skin surgery had different criteria and my clinic complied with all the regulation.
    Would they listen ? it was like talking to a wall, then a few months later they told me I was fine to carry on as they had reviewed their policy!!! That was the crunch for me, they had refused to allow the patient to claim because of their lack of knowledge ( which IMO gave an adverse impression of my practice thereby damaging my reputation ) That is unforgivable at any level.

At £25 a time for anything here cant be done,thats if standards are to be maintained, and I wont cut corners for them, any other insurance company or anyone else for that matter.

If they want the quality of care they advertise, THEN THEY HAVE TO PAY FOR IT.

I can live without them and the hassle they produce.
    Cheers
    D;)

12. Tim VS

Tim VS Active Member

Well, they called me back today and cooly told me that the £25 was 'non-negotiable'. I am absolutely fuming but will take a weekend to cool off before I make a final decision. Funnily enough they are not questioning the consultation fee or nail surgery fees. I would be really interested to know if anyone has signed up to this new 'scheme'

Regards,

Tim

13. Akbal

Akbal Active Member

Lawerence,

" the NHS "any qualified provider" tariff is coming in at £90 for 4 appointments including any appliance they are being generous !!"

Not quite so that for assessment and orthotic is extra at the moment up to 109 I think for custom device and bit less for others. and the number of time for follow up is not being dictated. though still an utter waste of time.

This is something each of us is going to decide upon I just can't see too many taking it.

Akbal

14. Lawrence Bevan

Akbal

this was information provided at a recent NHS meeting on the subject. This £90 was for "an episode of care" of assessment and 3 further appointments. A practitioner didnt have to provide all 3 follow-ups if the condition didnt need it. However if a patient is referred with an HD then you can be sure that the patients GP will tell them they are "entitled" to 3 follow-ups!

15. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

I have not been part of BUPA for many years and rarely take on insurance paying patients unless they first organise this with their insurance. I appreciate that for some their work is more in the field where BUPA matters. Another reason for not joining was watching my physio colleagues and friend jumping ridiculous hoops to get such insurance work.

16. horseman

horseman Active Member

went through application and looked at fees etc, didn't send it as really couldn't see how it helped my practice. In recent years I've found BUPA to nearly as useless as AXA. I didn't study for two degrees and all the other postgrad work and CPD to be paid £25 per hour.

17. betafeet

betafeet Active Member

Looking at LinkedIn it looks like it is across the board with other healthcare professions also one comment from France saying Axa is also price capping.

Osteopaths were saying capping for them is £40 first appointment the £30 follow up. It appears at £25 follow up we will be the poor brother/sister due to the cost of consumables, contminated waste contracts, sterilisation and equipement used in a podiatry appointment. Not to mention paying for CPD, HPC registration, indemnity insurance, buildings insurance, rent, rates, electrity, telephone, data protection, receptionists !! I could go on.

Is price fixing illegal?

Will this drive Bupa Podiatry care to practices with low overheads or less successful practices and those worried about bums on seats!!

Think we need some media coverage, support from our associations and say no to Bupa.

Judith

18. bmjones1234

bmjones1234 Active Member

Won't be long before people end up deciding this insurance is BS - if it doesn't cover the cost why pay for it? Isn't the whole point of PHC to pay a premium and get the 'Best' money can buy?

The fact that the PHC wants to control prices or lower your fee is a joke why can't a huge multi-million pound/dollar company take a hit in profits . . . Unless they are on the verge of bankruptcy methinks ;)

19. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

Hi All

I just got my third invite letter which sounded pretty desperate :D

Methinks they are in trouble recruiting pods for their network and hopefully that will stand to send a very important message to ALL insurance companies who try the same thing.
    cheers
    D;)

20. betafeet

betafeet Active Member

Dear All,

I have had several emails regarding the price capping of treatments with Bupa, the osteopaths are taking a joint stand as a profession, alot are withdrawing from treating Bupa patients on the 13th July.

I fear this is only a suggestion of what is to come and is filtering through to all therapies, which may then have a roll on effect to other insurance groups.

Osteopaths are the only ones making a stand at the moment so if you want to support them click on the link below and sign the petition:

http://www.save-osteopathy-on-bupa.org/patients.html

Kind regards

Judith Sullivan