Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Public podiatry service in australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by louisemuir, Apr 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. louisemuir

louisemuir Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Can anyone tell me where to find out about the public podiatry services provided by the Australian health authorities? I'm applying for a career break and need to know whether a full range of podiatric specialities are offered by the Australian health service. General information would be great plus anything specific to Victoria state.

:)

2. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

Louise,

Australian Public Health Services do not provide the full range of podiatric specialties. There is extremely limited Public Podiatric Surgery around the country and no Public Pod Surg in Victoria. Almost all Pod Surgery is provided privately.

Diabetes and the High Risk Foot are areas of well established practice in most hospitals. Access to restricted medicines is serverly limited but slowly growing with recent law changes in Victoria.

For more info look at www.apodc.com.au or www.dhs.vic.gov.au

3. louisemuir

louisemuir Member

Stephen,

Thanks for the information.

I'm planning to travel to Australia in October and was hoping to get a six month temporary post in Melbourne and having attended an open evening promoting health care in Melbourne I was optimistic as to the opportunities within the health board. However, as I'm seeking a career break from my current employer, the policy provides that any paid work undertaken whilst on a career break must be to the benefit of NHS Lothian. Therefore, my boss wanted to know whether the Australian health authorities provide similar services to those available here ie nail surgery, diabetes care, wound management, biomechanics as well as routine care.

Thanks again, the websites you refered me to have also been very helpful.

Louise

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  4. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

Nails Surgery: Yes
    Diabetes Care: Yes
    Biomechanics: Yes
    Routine Care: Yes, but diminishing