Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Forefoot Midsole Stiffness Affects Forefoot and Rearfoot Kinematics

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, Apr 4, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Forefoot Midsole Stiffness Affects Forefoot and Rearfoot Kinematics During the Stance Phase of Gait
    Renan A. Resende , MSc, Sérgio T. Fonseca , ScD, Paula L. Silva , PhD, Antônio E. Pertence , PhD, and Renata N. Kirkwood , PhD
    Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association: March 2014, Vol. 104, No. 2, pp. 183-190.

2. Dr. Steven King

Dr. Steven King Well-Known Member

Aloha,

This is great basic research that needs to be continued with other conditions at multiple testing facilities.

I would request in the future a more scientific description of the midsole stiffness other than "shoes having either low or high forefoot midsole stiffness". Why not calculate the stiffness with a forefoot drop test of the shoe midsole material. We would then recieve numerical values that we then could use in repeat research. Do not forget there is more than just foam midsoles out there now.

If anyone is looking for new ways to increase forefoot bending strength i think we have a novel solution. With numerical values to back it up...

Send me a private message and i will share it with you.

What does this means to the energy efficency of the system? "Increased muscular contraction may also explain increases in rearfoot stability."

Do we have to burn more calories to be more stable on less stable materials??

I thought someone recently got a $40 million claim against them for claiming just that? Perhaps they could have used this research in their defense claiming that more unstable shoes burn more energy. Too funny.

Give us numerical values Please!

And keep up the great basic research.

Mahalo,
    Steve