Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

STJ neutral

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by mme27, Apr 7, 2014.

1. mme27

mme27 Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am new to this forum and have a question regarding simple biomechanical terminology. When referring to Cavovarus foot type, as well as pes plano valgus, is it describing the frontal plane deformity (varus of valgus) at the STJ in resting or neutral calcaneal stance position? its my understanding that a rearfoot can be everted due pronation or due to an inherent calcaneal valgus deformity, or both I guess

another example: forefoot valgus often accompanies cavovarus deformity. does this mean forefoot valgus determined by the resting calcaneal stance position or valgus FF to RF when the STJ is in neutral with MTJ maximally pronated? these terms often confuse me. thanks everyone!

2. fabio.alberzoni

fabio.alberzoni Active Member

By me..

Cavus it's a radiografic lateral plane examination that discriminate this (anterior,posterior,mixed).
    Planus more or less the same...Costa-Bertani angle rules... http://innofoot.ibv.org/index.php/en/biomechanical-assessment-procedures/548-internal-moreau-costa-bertani-angle

Varus and valgus' calcaneal deformities are normaly related to the tibial angle (opened kinetic chain).

many times in Italy orthopedics, especially in children feet, call a normal arch height foot with important pronation pes planus...I figure that's wrong.

Hope this could be usefull.

fabio