Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Exercise Associated Muscle Cramps (EAMC)

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by DaFlip, Nov 23, 2004.

1. DaFlip

DaFlip Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Just wondering the thoughts of the list on EAMC. There are many anecdotal theories on serum electrolyte and rehydration. None full supported through studies, and it is difficult if not impossible to actively reproduce EAMC in athletes. The mechanism of cramping more recently has been theorised to be associated with a sustained alpha motor neurone activity with muscle fatigue. However there are many cases of athletes cramping without being in a fatigued state. Any thoughts as to factors which may cause sustained alpha activity in non-fatigued athletes?? :confused:

2. dgroberts

dgroberts Active Member

I can reproduce EAMC.........but only in me, and it's not pleasant :)

I train as a thai boxer and when training to fight, which is very intense, can bring on EAMC's if I don't take on water at the right time.
    Basically a hard session involves running 5 miles to the gym wearing bin bag, t shirt, jumper, wooly hat (fluid loss = weight reduction) then training for around 80mins. If I don't drink after the run I always get cramps in the calves (sometime hamstrings as well) at around the 60min mark.
    Never cramp in an un-fatigued/dehydrated state though.

Not at all usefull as an reply to your post but just showing you can reproduce EAMC's. Not very ethical way of doing it though :)

3. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Predictors of calf cramping in rugby league
    Summers, Katherine M. BPhysio(Hons); Snodgrass, Suzanne J. PhD; Callister, Robin PhD
    Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research: 14 June 2013

4. NewsBot

Articles:
  5. NewsBot

Articles:
  6. NewsBot

Articles:
    NOVEL DIRECT AND INDIRECT EFFECTS OF RISK FACTORS FOR EXERCISE ASSOCIATED MUSCLE CRAMPING (EAMC) IN A COHORT OF 41 698 DISTANCE RUNNERS
    Esmè Jordaan, Martin Schwellnus
    Br J Sports Med 2017;51:337 doi:10.1136/bjsports-2016-097372.136

7. NewsBot

Articles:
    Muscle Cramping During Exercise: Causes, Solutions, and Questions Remaining
    Ronald J. Maughan Susan M. Shirreffs
    Sports Medicine: 06 November 2019

8. NewsBot

Articles:
  9. NewsBot

Articles:
    Serum electrolyte concentrations and hydration status are not associated with exercise associated muscle cramping (EAMC) in distance runners FREE
    M P Schwellnus et al
    British Journal of Sports Medicine 2004;38:488-492.

10. NewsBot

Articles:
    Muscle Cramping in the marathon: Dehydration and electrolyte depletion vs. muscle damage.
    Martínez-Navarro, I, Montoya-Vieco, A, Collado, E, Hernando, B, Panizo, N, and Hernando, C.
    J Strength Cond Res XX(X): 000–000, 2020—

11. NewsBot

Articles:
  12. NewsBot

Articles:
    Muscle Cramping in the Marathon: Dehydration and Electrolyte Depletion vs. Muscle Damage
    Ignacio Martínez-Navarro et al
    J Strength Cond Res. 2020 Aug 12

13. Damien Howell

Damien Howell Member

Martinez-Navaro and colleagues suggest that strengthening exercises has a beneficial effect and can decrease the frequency of exercise associated muscle cramps (EAMC). The abstract reports the difference in the percentage of runners who included strength conditioning in their race training was 22% less EAMC. The abstract does not describe what “strength conditioning” included. Behringer and colleagues suggest the strength training should position the muscle in a short or slackened position. I have written a blog article entitled "Potential Prevention Strategy for Exercise Associated Muscle Cramps" suggesting a potential working hypothesis is If the muscles at risk of experiencing EAMC perform regular isometric strengthening exercise with the muscle in a position of active insufficiency (slackened length position), then it will decrease the likelihood of EAMC. This deserves investigation.

14. NewsBot

Articles: