Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Topical nail antifungal and risk for diabetic foot ulceration

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by NewsBot, May 26, 2006.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Can the use of a topical antifungal nail lacquer reduce risk for diabetic foot ulceration? Results from a randomised controlled pilot study.
    Int Wound J. 2005 Jun;2(2):166-70

2. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

This is from Lauren Crutchfiled and Nikki Frescos at Latrobe Uni:

3. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

Interesting though that TP was found protective in this study

Prediction of Diabetic Foot Ulcer Occurrence Using Commonly Available Clinical Information - The Seattle Diabetic Foot Study
    Diabetes Care 29:1202-1207, 2006
    http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=2178

4. NewsBot

Articles:
    Role of yeasts in diabetic foot ulcer infection
    Acta Med Croatica. 2006;60(1):43-50

5. John Spina

John Spina Active Member

Ciclopirox is said to have some antiinflammatory properties which can help during the inflammation stage of wound healing,so maybe there is a link there.Besides,onychomycosis on a diabetic patient has to be addressed aggressively with debridement plus medicines.T.pedis in this patient population is even worse,as an interdigital maceration can lead to a plantar abcess/infection.

6. NewsBot

Articles:
    Prevalence of Toe Nail Onychomycosis in Diabetic Patients.
    Acta Derm Venereol. 2006;86(5):425-428
    Saunte DM, Holgersen JB, Haedersdal M, Strauss G, Bitsch M, Svendsen OL, Arendrup MC, Svejgaard EL.

7. NewsBot

Articles:
    Effects of foot care intervention including nail drilling combined with topical antifungal application in diabetic patients with onychomycosis.
    Sumikawa M, Egawa T, Honda I, Yamamoto Y, Sumikawa Y, Kubota M.
    J Dermatol. 2007 Jul;34(7):456-64.

8. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

9. NewsBot

Articles:
    Fungal foot infections in patients with diabetes mellitus - results of two independent investigations.
    Eckhard M, Lengler A, Liersch J, Bretzel RG, Mayser P.
    Mycoses. 2007 Sep;50(s2):14-19.

10. NewsBot

Articles:
    Nail susceptibility to fungal infection in patients with type 1 and 2 diabetes under long term poor glycaemia control [Article in Polish]
    Macura AB, Gasińska T, Pawlik B, Obłoza A.
    Przegl Lek. 2007;64(6):406-9.

11. NewsBot

Articles:
    Onychomycosis incidence in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients.
    Manzano-Gayosso P, Hernández-Hernández F, Méndez-Tovar LJ, Palacios-Morales Y, Córdova-Martínez E, Bazán-Mora E, López-Martinez R.
    Mycopathologia. 2008 Jul;166(1):41-5.

12. NewsBot

Articles:
    The Incidence of Tinea Pedis in Diabetic versus Nondiabetic Patients with Interdigital Macerations. A Prospective Study
    Bradford S. Legge, John F. Grady and Autum M. Lacey
    Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association; Volume 98 Number 5 353-356 2008

13. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  14. NewsBot

Articles:
    Diagnosis and Prevalence of Onychomycosis in Diabetic Neuropathic Patients
    An Observational Study

Isabelle J. Dumont
    Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association Volume 99 Number 2 135-139 2009

15. NewsBot

Articles:
    Identification of yeast in chronic wounds using new pathogen-detection technologies.
    Leake JL, Dowd SE, Wolcott RD, Zischkau AM.
    J Wound Care. 2009 Mar;18(3):103-4, 106, 108

16. NewsBot

Articles:
    Toenail onychomycosis in diabetic patients: issues and management.
    Mayser P, Freund V, Budihardja D.
    Am J Clin Dermatol. 2009;10(4):211-20.

17. NewsBot

Articles:
    Fungal foot infection, cellulitis and diabetes: a review.
    Bristow IR, Spruce MC.
    Diabet Med. 2009 May;26(5):548-51.

18. NewsBot

Articles:
    Spectrum and Prevalence of Fungi Infecting Deep Tissues of Lower Limb Wounds in Type 2 Diabetic Patients.
    Chellan G, Shivaprakash S, Karimassery Ramaiyar S, Varma AK, Varma N, Thekkeparambil Sukumaran M, Rohinivilasam Vasukutty J, Bal A, Kumar H.
    J Clin Microbiol. 2010 Apr 21. [Epub ahead of print]

19. NewsBot

Articles:
    Clinical and mycologic characteristics of onychomycosis in diabetic patients.
    Al-Mutairi N, Eassa BI, Al-Rqobah DA.
    Acta Dermatovenerol Croat. 2010 Jul;18(2):84-91.

20. NewsBot

Articles:
    Prevalence of Toenail Onychomycosis in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Evaluation of Risk Factors
    Aynur Gulcan, Erim Gulcan, Sukru Oksuz, Idris Sahin and Demet Kaya
    Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association; Volume 101 Number 1 49-54 2011

21. NewsBot

Articles:
    Factors associated with presence and severity of toenail onychomycosis in patients with diabetes: A cross-sectional study.
    Takehara K, Oe M, Tsunemi Y, Nagase T, Ohashi Y, Iizaka S, Ueki K, Tsukamoto K, Kadowaki T, Sanada H.
    Int J Nurs Stud. 2011 Feb 28. [Epub ahead of print]

22. NewsBot

Articles:
    Safety and efficacy of tinea pedis and onychomycosis treatment in people with diabetes: a systematic review.
    Matricciani L, Talbot K, Jones S.
    J Foot Ankle Res. 2011 Dec 4;4(1):26.

23. NewsBot

Articles:
    Fungal Infections among Diabetic Foot Ulcer- Patients Attending Diabetic Clinic in Kenyatta National Hospital, Kenya
    AM Gitau, ZW Ng’ang’a, W Sigilai, C Bii, M Mwangi
    East African Medical Journal > Vol 88, No 1 (2011)

24. NewsBot

Articles:
    Fungal infection of the diabetic foot: The often ignored complication
    Paul Chadwick
    Diabetic Foot Canada, 2013, Vol 1, No 2, pages 20–24

25. NewsBot

Articles:
    Dermatomycosis in lower limbs of diabetic patients followed by podiatry consultation.
    Parada H, Veríssimo C, Brandão J, Nunes B, Boavida J, Duarte R, Peerally Z, Oliveira R, Rosado L, Sabino R.
    Rev Iberoam Micol. 2013 Apr-Jun;30(2):103-8.

26. SChad

SChad Member

Hello
    Forgive me for any errors or misgivings in this reply - iam but a student!
    I read this "thread" with interest as I was interested in looking at "fungal infection of the diabetic foot" and performing an audit (with regard to best practice - sampling, treatments etc.). I have been looking through NICE Guidelines and other local policies for a "standard" for the management of fungal nail or skin infection in diabetic patients. So far I cannot find anything specific? I will of continue to search documents/literature, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, or advise on local policies, I would very much appreciate it.

Many thanks.

27. tonywatson12

tonywatson12 Active Member

hi
    as taking samples cost money I think for me it is on clinical risk from the presenting infection.
    for example a 82 year old diabetic with longstanding O/X nails and suspected fungal nail infection that is causing no clinical risk factors.
    do we take samples?
    what is or plan?
    what is the most effective treatment for them?
    are we achieving any purpose.

I do think laser is the way forward for toe mycotic infections

28. NewsBot

Articles:
    Skin and nail mycoses in patients with diabetic foot.
    Papini M, Cicoletti M, Fabrizi V, Landucci P.
    G Ital Dermatol Venereol. 2013 Dec;148(6):603-608.

29. SChad

SChad Member

Thankyou - I think from all the papers I have read - and observation in clinic, the question I have for diabetic patients, is whether the presence of onychomycosis (or indeed tinea pedis), is a "risk factor" in itself? With or without other diabetic risk factors. If it is classed as a "skin/nail change", does that put the diabetic patient at increased risk for ulceration - and therefore require treatment and possibly referral?

The subject of "what treatment" does interest me (previous career in Medical Microbiology!) - perhaps that should be my next literature review.

Again, I apologise if my questions appear obvious - Iam now a student in Podiatry. Any advice is very much appreciated.

30. NewsBot

Articles:
    Proportion of lower limb fungal foot infections in patients with type 2 diabetes at a tertiary care hospital in Sri Lanka.
    Wijesuriya TM, Weerasekera MM, Kottahachchi J, Ranasinghe KN, Dissanayake MS, Prathapan S, Gunasekara TD, Nagahawatte A, Guruge LD, Bulugahapitiya U, Fernando SS.
    Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Jan;18(1):63-9. doi: 10.4103/2230-8210.126556.

31. NewsBot

Articles:
    Diabetic foot ulcers and Candida co-infection: a single centered study
    J.Nithyalakshmi, S.Nirupa and G.Sumathi
    Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci (2014) 3(11) 413-419

32. NewsBot

Articles:
    Study protocol
    Laser therapy for onychomycosis in patients with diabetes at risk for foot complications: study protocol for a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial (LASER-1)

Leonie Nijenhuis-Rosien, Nanne Kleefstra, Maurice J Wolfhagen, Klaas H Groenier, Henk JG Bilo and Gijs WD Landman
    Trials 2015, 16:108 doi:10.1186/s13063-015-0622-4

33. NewsBot

Articles:
    Aspergillus species: An emerging pathogen in onychomycosis among diabetics
    TM Wijesuriya et al
    Indian J Endocr Metab 2015;19:811-6

34. NewsBot

Articles:
    Tinea pedis and onychomycosis frequency in diabetes
    mellitus patients and diabetic foot ulcers:
    A cross sectional ? observational study

Gamze Akkus et al
    Pak J Med Sci. 2016;32(4):

35. NewsBot

Articles:
    Identification, antifungal resistance profile, in vitro biofilm formation and ultrastructural characteristics of Candida species isolated from diabetic foot patients in Northern India.
    Kumar D et al
    Indian J Med Microbiol. 2016 Jul-Sep;34(3):308-14

36. NewsBot

Articles:
    Tinea pedis and onychomycosis frequency in diabetes mellitus patients and diabetic foot ulcers. A cross sectional - observational study.
    Akkus G et al
    Pak J Med Sci. 2016 Jul-Aug;32(4):891-895.

37. NewsBot

Articles:
    A Study of Prevalence and the Profile of Fungal Infections in Diabetic Foot Ulcers in a Tertiary Care Hospital of Kerala
    Venkatachalam P, Udayaravi M P
    International Journal of Contemporary Surgery; Year : 2017, Volume : 5, Issue : 1

38. NewsBot

Articles:
    Frequency of Cutaneous Fungal Infections and Azole Resistance of the Isolates in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus.
    Raiesi O et al
    Adv Biomed Res. 2017 Jun 6;6:71. doi: 10.4103/2277-9175.191003. eCollection 2017.

39. NewsBot

Articles:
    Prevalence and epidemiology of tinea pedis and toenail onychomycosis and antifungal susceptibility of the causative agents in patients with type 2 diabetes in Turkey.
    Oz Y et al
    Int J Dermatol. 2017 Jan;56(1):68-74. doi: 10.1111/ijd.13402

40. NewsBot

Articles:
    A Cross Sectional study on prevalence of fungal infections in
    Diabetic foot ulcer

Shailendra Kumar Singh et al
    INDIAN JOURNAL OF APPLIED RESEARCH