Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Puzzle

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by markjohconley, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Tkemp

Tkemp Active Member

Totally! That ball question was way over my head :bash:

Three boxes which are all labelled differently.
    So you know that each label is wrong.
    So take one item from box labelled "nails and screws" whatever it is label the box accordingly. So label either "nails" or "screws"
    Then the box labelled "nails" / "screws" remove label and place on box with no current label.
    The final box label "nails and screws"
    ..... hope that's explained ok, considering its a monday morning :morning:

2. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

Figure out the megapixel, first name, puzzle and tourist spot for each person using the clues given. Below are all categories and options used in this puzzle.

*Pedro has a camera with more megapixels than the person who went to Niagara Falls.
    *Either the person with the 1.8 megapixel camera or the person with the 2.2 megapixel camera went to Yellowstone.
    *The 5 people were Megan, the person who specializes in cryptograms, the person who went to White Sands, the person with the 2.2 megapixel camera, and Bryce.
    *The person with the 6.0 megapixel camera loves to solve sudokus.
    *The person who went to Niagara Falls has a camera with more megapixels than Michaela.
    *The person with the 1.8 megapixel camera is Cindy.
    *The person who went to Key West is not Megan.
    *The person who specializes in logic puzzles has a camera with fewer megapixels than the person who specializes in crosswords.
    *The person with the 8.0 megapixel camera is not Bryce.
    *The person who went to White Sands doesn't enjoy sudokus.
    *Of Michaela and the person who specializes in logic puzzles, one went to Meteor Crater and the other went to Niagara Falls

Megapixels

First Names
    Bryce
    Cindy
    Megan
    Michaela
    Pedro

Puzzles
    acrostics
    crosswords
    cryptograms
    logic puzzles
    sudokus

Tourist Spots
    Key West
    Meteor Crater
    Niagara Falls
    White Sands
    Yellowstone

3. markjohconley

Sorry Tracy, forgot, most correct!

4. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

How is this?

Bryce 6.0 sudokus Key West
    Cindy 1.8 cryptograms Yellowstone
    Megan 3.2 logic puzzles Niagara Falls
    Michaela 2.2 acrostics Meteor Crater
    Pedro 8.0 crosswords White Sands

5. markjohconley

Yes Stephen,

Imagine there are 3 coins on the table: gold, silver, and copper. If you make a truthful statement, you will get one coin. If you make a false statement, you will get nothing.
    What sentence can guarantee you getting the gold coin?

6. Tuckersm

"you will give me neither the silver nor copper coin"

If it is true, I must recieve a coin, and it must the the gold coin for the statement to remain true. And if the statement is not true, I would get nothing, which makes the statement true, so again I must recieve the gold coin.

7. markjohconley

definitely Mr Tucker, i couldn't work that one out

a fellow pod has 'complained' that this thread has no relevance to podiatry, whoooa
    so i have endeavoured to do so

puzzle
    * craig wishes to test the 'boys'
    * mark r., simon and kevin sit in a triangle each facing the other two; each cannot see, naturally, his own forehead
    * craig announces that he is to place a white or black marker on each of the 'boys' foreheads
    * the 'boys' mission is to determine the colour of the marker on their own forehead
    * the 'boys' are asked to raise an arm if they can see at least one white marker, on the foreheads of the other two 'boys'
    * craig then places all white markers on the 'boys' foreheads
    * after a little while one of the 'boys' claims he has a white marker on his forehead
    * which boy and how did he know?

8. markjohconley

Sooooo many requests for more!

As a follow up to the last (very popularly received) puzzle how 'bout,

next puzzle

After losing the “marker on the Forehead” contest, the two defeated Podiatry Masters requested a rematch with ?????, who was temporarily indisposed and replaced by Mandy, who was loitering nearby. And so the "Craig", having oodles of time on his hands, vowed to set up a truly fair test to reveal the best logician amongst them. He showed them 5 hats – two white and three black. Then he turned off the lights in the room and put a hat on each podiatry Master’s head. After that the old sage, the "Craig" that is, hid the remaining two hats; but before he could turn the lights on, Mandy announced the colour of her hat. Knowall!
    What color was her hat? What could have been her reasoning?

9. Tkemp

Tkemp Active Member

the white hats were fur-lined (faux of course) and she knew from the distinctly smooth feel of her hat that it was black
    :rolleyes:

10. markjohconley

You're "off like a bride's nightie"!

but unfortunately not the required solution dear Tracy

think 'fair'

11. Tkemp

Tkemp Active Member

I apologise.
    An overdose of coffee and phenol fumes have dulled my 'fair' brain today ..... always a danger friday morning clinics :boohoo:

12. markjohconley

..most of us use sugar or sugar substitite, but hey if that's how they do it in Mildura......

13. Tkemp

Tkemp Active Member

That's what gives the rushes ...... and its less fattening too :D

14. markjohconley

Am enjoying this immensely boys and girls.
    The solution to the white or black marker on the forehead ...... wouldn't know, don't care which boy it was, let's say Kevin!!!!!!!
    Kevin thinks, "ok if i had a black marker on my forehead, then let's say Mark R. would think, ""ok Simon can see Kevin with a black marker on his forehead and me and he has his hand up so i must have a white marker"" .... but Mark R. hasn't got his hand up so i must not have a black marker but a white, voila!" (Kevin thinks in a real heavy french accent!)
    ....so simple
    as for Mandy guessing before the lights came on, I forgot to include the hint that the "Craig" had advised the three that it was to be a FAIR contest........
    NEW PUZZLE, a number puzzle

What 5-digit number has the following property? If we put numeral 1 in front of the number, we get a number three times smaller, than if we put the numeral 1 behind this number

15. Tuckersm

142857 * 3 = 428571

16. markjohconley

Re: Puzzle time!

On an island there are 10 prisoners with blue eyes, and 10 prisoners with brown eyes, who all want to leave the island and are keen to live. No one knows the color of their eyes as there are no reflective surfaces on the island and they are unable to communicate with each other. Everyone can see everyone else at all times
    One day the gaoler tells the 20 prisoners that if they can tell him the colour of their own eyes they can leave the island, but if they are wrong they will be killed.
    He adds,
    "I can see someone who has brown eyes."

Who leaves the island, and on what night?

And lastly, the answer is not "no one leaves."

17. Tkemp

Tkemp Active Member

The gaoler... for his wife's yummy roast with yorkie puddings :D

18. markjohconley

Tkemp, we'll be passing through Mildura later this year (i hope)....if so may I shout you a beverage of your choice, Mark

19. markjohconley

It's been a month.

the answer is 20 leave on the 20th night.

any takers as to why; any of you plankers up to it?,

love and respect to my fellow podiatrists (not the 'flat earth' group though)

20. Tuckersm

I disagree,
    The 10 brown eyed leave on night 10, and the 10 blue eyed would need to stay, as they could have blue, green or grey eyes.
    If only one brown eyed person was on the island, they would see only blue eyes, so would know they were the brown eyed and leave. If 2 brown eyed, they would see one other, who wouldn't leave on night one as they could also see one other, and as noone left would know there were 2, so would then know they were the other one. this would continue until night 10, when the 10 browned eyed would leave. the 10 blue eyed, would need to stay.

21. markjohconley

Stephen is correct, i had forgotten the answer! Back into my hole ................................