Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Compressive hosiery causing subunugal corns

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by irish frank, Apr 26, 2012.

Tags:
  1. irish frank

irish frank Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello all,
    RE- compressive hosiery causing subunugal corns.

I have in recent months seen a noticeable increase in the number of women coming to my private practice C/O painful subunugal corns on the lateral side of their hallux (tibial asp of leg).
    The pts involved all wear opaques on a regular basis, I dont recall seeing many men with this problem or it being a condition I have seen regularly in the previous years when such garments were not as popular/fashionable.
    Today alone I saw 3 such cases, and I wish to put forward the proposition that the aetiology of this is due to the compressive characteristics of opaque tights, when I enquired the pts said that this problem is relatively new to them and they had no previous Hx of it, prior to wearing this type of hosiery.
    Does anybody else have any experience of this?

Cheers

Frank

2. cornmerchant

cornmerchant Well-Known Member

Frank

I see this frequently and it is difficult to relieve the pressure as the stockings work themselves tight during the day even if they are pulled away from thw toes to start with. For those patients affected badly I try and get them to change to toeless compression stockings- they come with their own problems as they can cut into the area below the 1st and 5th met heads !
    Sometimes a foam sleeve will be enough to redistribute the presuure away from the sulcus

regards

CM