Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Influence of Contouring and Hardness of Foot Orthoses on Ratings of Perceived Comfort

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, Jan 16, 2011.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Influence of Contouring and Hardness of Foot Orthoses on Ratings of Perceived Comfort.
    Mills K, Blanch P, Vicenzino B
    Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011 Jan 12;

2. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

Does this appear to be contradictory to anyone else or am I just reading it wrong? It appears to say that a soft, flat generic orthosis was preferred. Does that sound like a "contoured" device?

I know that over the years nearly every patient that I have provided an orthosis made from a volumetric cast, which I assume is more "countoured", that patients report greater comfort than with previous prefab or generic shaped devices and that is subjective.

Their conclusion confuses the heck out of me!

3. No I don't get it either.

4. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Effect of Foot Orthoses Contour on Pain Perception in Individuals with Patellofemoral Pain
    Thomas G. McPoil, Bill Vicenzino and Mark W. Cornwall
    Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association
    Volume 101 Number 1 7-16 2011

5. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

Ok I read the study, thank you Ian (am I losing my mind or was there a response on this thread from Ian offering to send us the studies, which he did? Thank you).

Not to tear at another person's work but it appears the 'orthoses' used were a 3mm EVA prefab vs. Vasyli prefabs (all EVA) of differing shore rating? In all there were 20 participants, measured and subject to VAS on 5 visits and all preferred the 3mm prefab.

Interesting because most people I encounter and patients comment that the shape and support of the medial arch is one feature that they find key, not the softness of the material or a very low MLA.

I'm really confused why they used prefab devices for the study but refer to 'contouring' as being key and then state they preferred the flat, soft orthosis to the contoured one? Still not getting it...

6. Griff

Griff Moderator

You're not going mad David - it seems I've had some posts deleted for some reason.

Still not read these studies yet. Hope to get some time tomorrow afternoon.