Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Preventing recurrence after total contact cast

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by suresh, Sep 4, 2007.

1. suresh

suresh Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    dear all,
    i have applied five total contact cast for last 6months duration. initial results were found to be surprised. long standing ulcer over period of 10 years also was healed with in two months. all the patients were give modified food wear.
    but long term follow-up was discouraging me. almost all the patients developed recurrent ulcer.
    how can i prevent this
    suresh

2. Leigh Shaw

Leigh Shaw Active Member

Hi, unfortunitly this is often common especially with diabetes and the patients inability to feel repeatitive trauma. It can take many modifications of insoles and foot wear to get just the right degree of off loading. The other thing to concider is - is the patient actually wearing the custom foot wear as often they will not wear them except to visit the podiatrist.

3. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

Suresh

I suspect there are a couple of things that are going wrong here.

Potentially the footwear and its modifcations are incorrect, or there is an absence of a custom orthosis within the shoe also.

Finally, recurrent ulceration may suggest that conservative care will be ultimately be ineffective, particularly if there is significant deformity etc. These patients may ultimately require tendo Achilles lengthening, other forms of tendon balancing, or osseous correction to prevent recurrence.

LL