Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Functions and Dysfunctions of the Plantar Fascia

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Ian Linane, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi

Kevin Kirby posted a while ago and listed his considerations of the various roles of the plantar fascia (10 I think). Search as I might I cannot find it :confused:

Can anyone suggest the post it is under? :)

Thanks

Ian

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Ian

I don't think Kevin has posted them - we have mentioned them in other threads. Kevin has a lecture on the "Ten Functions of the Plantar Fascia" - he given it a few times including at the last years SMA conference here in Melbourne --- I followed it with the "Four Dysfunctions of the Windlass":

Maybe Kevin will list them...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2006
  3. Ian Linane

Hi Craig

Thank you and a good and happy new year to you.

Ian

4. Ian and Craig:

Here is my current list of the functions of the plantar fascia:

1. Serves to support the medial and lateral longitudinal arch in a higher arched position (i.e. increases the dorsiflexion stiffness of the medial and lateral forefoot)

2. Assists in resupination of subtalar joint (STJ) during propulsive phase of walking

3. Assists the deep posterior compartment muscles by limiting STJ pronation

4. Assists the plantar intrinsic muscles in preventing longitudinal arch flattening

5. Reduces tensile forces in plantar ligaments

6. Prevents excessive interosseous compression forces on dorsal aspects of midfoot joints

7. Prevents excessive dorsiflexion bending moments on metatarsals

8. Passively maintains digital purchase and stabilizes proximal phalanx of digits within sagittal plane

9. Reduces ground reaction force on metatarsal heads during late midstance and propulsion

10. Helps to absorb and release elastic strain energy during running and jumping activities

Most of these functions are now supported by research while some of them are based only on my consideration of mechanical modelling of the foot.

5. Ian Linane

Hi Kevin

Thank you very much for your trouble.

Happy new year to you.

Ian

6. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    The latest

Consequences of Partial and Total Plantar Fascia Release: A Finite Element Study.
    Foot Ankle Int. 2006 Feb;27(2):125-132

7. From the Ten Functions of Plantar Fascia:

1. Serves to support the medial and lateral longitudinal arch in a higher arched position (i.e. increases the dorsiflexion stiffness of the medial and lateral forefoot)

5. Reduces tensile forces in plantar ligaments

6. Prevents excessive interosseous compression forces on dorsal aspects of midfoot joints

7. Prevents excessive dorsiflexion bending moments on metatarsals

Hopefully the physicians that perform plantar fasciotomy without understanding its important multiple mechanical functions in the human foot will eventually come to realize that the sole function of the plantar fascia is not simply to cause chronic plantar heel pain.

8. efuller

efuller MVP

One word, redundancy. Mechanical redundancy occurs when there is more than one structure that can support load. When one structure is removed the other structures will have to support more load.

Eric

9. drsha

drsha Banned

Dr Sha adds an 11th and 12th for consideration (based only on my consideration of mechanical modelling of the foot---) :

11. Provides stability and a functional lever arm to allow the extrinsic and intrinsic muscle engines that power the rearfoot and forefoot to perform more efficiently and effective.

12. Reduces the peroneus longus from acting as a rearfoot pronator in stance and gait.
    peronealTendonsPlantar1.gif

Dr Sha

10. efuller

efuller MVP

Hi Dennis,
    Welcome back.

I was wondering why you felt your additions were different from

11 and 1 seem to be the same in that they both seem to be addressing stiffness of the foot

12 and 2 seem the same in that they could be interpreted to mean increase supination moment at the STJ.

Regards,

Eric

11. drsha

drsha Banned