Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Are the podiatry licensing boards in the US 'illegal'?

Discussion in 'USA' started by Craig Payne, Mar 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I was just reading this article:
    Supreme Court ruling puts state regulatory boards in crosshairs
    That reported:
    My understanding is that in the US, all licensing or regulatory boards are made up of a majority of podiatrists ....

2. rdp1210

rdp1210 Active Member

These are some good questions, Craig.

However if we start looking at the licensing boards, I think you will find that they have strict rules they have to abide to in determining qualifications for a license. I know when I entered practice in 1979, part of the licensing exam was an oral interview. I don't think that this would fly today, and in the other two states that I have held licenses in, the qualifications were strictly objective, based only on examination scores. Most of the states accept Part III of the National Podiatry Examiners Board test as qualification for exam. Some states have additional requirements including number of CME hours, and education in other medical/psychological/social/legal issues that may affect the practitioner in one way or another. If you applied for a U.S. state license, I believe that you would have a difficult time in argueing that it is a way of restraining trade and not a public protection. On the other hand, business licenses in localities may be very affected by those wishing for restraint of trade.

Some have argued in the US that there should be just a national license, but then you end up back on the doorsteps of the Constitution as to what is a state right. See Amendment 10 to the Constitution. I don't think we will need to add a medical licensing amendment to the US Constitution. There is an organization in the states called the Federation of Podatric Medical Boards to that has representation on the National Board of Podiatric Medical Examiners and also the Council on Podiatric Medical Education. They function more to keep state boards in contact with each other, and also to help the education and examining arms to know what needs to be taught for licensing.

I realize each country is different, and this system may not be the ideal system, but it's going to have to do here until the US Constitution is re-amended.

Have a good day
    Daryl