Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Incidence of Wrong-Site Surgery Among Foot and Ankle Surgeons

Discussion in 'Foot Surgery' started by NewsBot, Oct 12, 2010.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Incidence of Wrong-Site Surgery Among Foot and Ankle Surgeons.
    Schweitzer KM Jr, Brimmo O, May R, Parekh SG.
    Foot Ankle Spec. 2010 Oct 8. [Epub ahead of print]

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

If you are performing a surgery at a Joint commission certified hospital, you are marking the site, initialing the site, the RN is initialing the site, there is a "time out" by the rotating RN in which the patients name, age, surgery and surgery site is verified..........

If, after all this, if you do the WRONG FOOT then you....;
    1. did it on purpose
    2. are on drugs
    3. are having a really really bad day
    4. just found out your wife is cheating on you (with your best friend)
    5. are legally blind
    6. are an imposter
    7. had a seizure while making the incision

I'm sure there may be some other reasons.....................

Steve

4. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

5. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

In the NHS in the U.K. and by extension private hospitals, the established protocol is: i) surgeon marks site when taking consent on ward. ii) checked by ODP on reception to theatre. iii) checked by scrub nurse prior to prep. Some scrub nurses are pretty fearsome and woe betide the podiatric surgeon who forgets to mark the site (I have in the past, and been given some scathing looks!)

All the best

Bill Liggins

6. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

Back in the 70's one job I had was theatre orderly. At a private surgical hospital in Sydney where i worked, the gynaecologist's list had, besides several D&C's, at least one abdominal hysterectomy. They had typed theatre lists on the walls of the only theatre and the two wards. Unbeknownest to me the order of the list had been changed on wards but not on the theatres list. This is one of the reasons they enforce identification. With so many D&C's I was literally running between theatre, recovery and wards. A patient, whom I had brought to theatre, had been anaesthetised and draped ready for a hysterectomy. The surgeon, who had only a ~15cm x 15 cm square of abdominal flesh (through the fenestrated drape) to go by, on approaching the draped pt on the operating table said "This isn't ... ....", he then looked over the head drape and, "this is ... ..., she's for a curettage!"

7. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

That same surgeon performed a hysterostomy to abort a healthy 31 week old foetus! My friend, who was the scrub nurse, threatened him with all hell if he tried it again. Things they got away with, in private hospitals, years ago and hopefully not still!

8. bob

bob Active Member

Doesn't everyone use this:
    http://www.who.int/patientsafety/safesurgery/ss_checklist/en/
    or an adaptation and call 'time outs'?
    We do.

9. NewsBot

Articles:
    Surgery on the wrong side: Implication for the patient and the professional. Experience in a Major Ambulatory Surgery of the Foot Unit.
    Asunción Márquez J, López Gutiérrez A, Pérez Martínez V, Poggio Cano D, Combalia A.
    Rev Esp Cir Ortop Traumatol. 2012 March - April;56(2):104-114.

10. terigreen

terigreen Active Member

I personally had a similar situation, the nurse wrote the wrong foot on the consent and it was a huge deal to get it corrected.

Teri
    Atlas Biomechanics

11. NewsBot

Articles:
    Not quite 'wrong side':
    $2.15M lawsuit: Hampton VA did surgery on wrong bone in foot