Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Choosing to study Podiatry at a mature age

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BeautifulSole, Jul 27, 2016.

1. BeautifulSole

BeautifulSole Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,

I am considering enrolling in a Podiatry Course in Australia. I am a science graduate, but I am looking at undergraduate courses because I completed my Science degree some 12 years ago.
    It would be great to get the thoughts of members of this forum on:
    - going back to university in your 30s (if you enrolled in Podiatry at a mature age).
    - what is it really like to work as a Podiatrist (I think I am ok with handling feet)?
    :D
    Thanks all
    Beautiful Sole

2. Rob Kidd

Rob Kidd Well-Known Member

Do it.

3. BeautifulSole

BeautifulSole Member

Thank you Rob
    I am wanting a new career in health & healthcare where there is enough work. Is there enough work for Podiatrists? I was working in a completely different area, but there has recently been a lot of uncertainty and contract work, which leaves you high and dry.

Thanks
    BeautifulSole

4. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

Maybe you could consider a Pedorthic degree at SCU or the double degree of Podiatry and Pedorthics they are also offering

5. BeautifulSole

BeautifulSole Member

Hi Boots n all
    Thankyou for your reply. I have just looked at the course outline for the double degree of Pedorthics/Podiatry at SCU. It is good to see a course outline of the degree, so I can see exactly what I am in for and make a good decision. I might try to collect a course/subject outline from a few different Institutions offering Podiatry in Australia and then hopefully submit an application through the university and/or the relevant Tertiary Admissions Centre. The thing that I also have to do is make plans to stop full time work and fully commit to becoming a Podiatrist.

6. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Welcome! Like Rob said Do it!

Good Luck

7. BeautifulSole

BeautifulSole Member

Hi Heather,

Thank you for your response and encouragement :D I would like to go and study Podiatry, but I just have to be sure that there will be enough work available once I complete the course. I know things are up and down in all industries and every job has its challenges, but over the last two years, I have realised that I should get the appropriate training and make a move to working with patients. :empathy:
    I am sure I would just love it as I care for people so much.

Thank you so much
    Beautiful Sole

8. fixedgearmama

fixedgearmama Member

Go For It!
    I was a nurse and decided to go back to uni when my child was one - I was in my 30s. There is plenty of work and there is no reason why you couldn't work a couple of part-time jobs to mix it up.
    Going back to uni as a mature student was so much easier in that I was very organised - I treated it like a full-time job and utilised my days well (of course I had to because when I got home there was no time to be a student - had to be a mum and wife!)
    I found it easier to understand concepts and was able to study things in more depth rather than just rote learning to pass. I also found that whilst on placement it was easier to develop a rapport with the patients due to my 'maturity'!

9. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

Exactly, except for the 'mum and wife' part; we had 5 children at the time.
    All the best

10. Slyfordpod

Slyfordpod Welcome New Poster

Hi Bootiful Sole,
    I think there will definately be enough work around, as with the baby boomers approaching their 70s, we have a distinctly aging population, not to mention the upsurge in the incidence of diabetes at the moment, and all the foot problems that entails. If your interest lies more in sports podiatry and biomechanics, well there's always going to be plenty of that, here in Australia. Even though you may be confined to a certain area of the body with podiatry, I've always felt there is plenty of variety, with all the different facets involved in it. You mentioned you are a caring person, well this is probably the most important attribute to have, so go for it! Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  11. BeautifulSole

BeautifulSole Member

Hi Fixedgearmama,
    Thanks for replying to this thread and sorry for my very late reply. Wow, your story is very inspiring and makes me feel like this new start in podiatry is possible for me. I'm stuck in the corporate world at the moment, and I am just increasingly unhappy; every day it gets more difficult to go there. I would much prefer to work with patients rather than try to cope with all the nonsense that goes on in corporate environments. It's like a playground some days.
    I will be treating uni as a full time job this time around and it really will be my priority. I will of course need a part time job, so I can pay my way through a few bills, but I'm thinking some effort and sacrifices will go a long way. I feel like I will understand the concepts more now and I will put more effort in because I do want to do well. I think, much like you, I will be able to build rapport with patients whilst on placement due to my maturity and also compassion.
    I am looking to apply to begin podiatry in 2019 (I know still a while away), but sooner, if I can't bear the corporate world much longer.
    Thank you for the encouragement and inspiration :):D
    Warm regards,
    BeautifulSole

12. BeautifulSole

BeautifulSole Member

Hi Slyfordpod,
    Thank you for responding to my thread :):D I think there is a growing demand for Podiatrists too, due to the aging population + increase in the diabetes epidemic, atheletes, paediatric podiatry, and of course general podiatry. I know for myself, I prefer to visit a Podiatrist than to go to a nail salon. It's simply superior and no risk of infection. With that in mind and also a friend of my sisters' saying I could go work with her, I'm sure I'll find something once I qualify :):) (I hope).
    I am very gentle, caring and my dad was my first unofficial patient (when he was terminally ill, I took care of his feet and other things like face shaving). I didn't have the right tools then, but I did what I could :DI think you're right, when you have a caring HCP in front of you, it makes a real difference:)

Thank you for wishing me well
    Warm regards,
    BeautifulSole

13. BeautifulSole

BeautifulSole Member

Hi Markjohconley,
    Wow five kids at the time! How did you do it? I don't have any children yet, but I do have quite a few responsibilities at home, which need attending to. Like everyone I suppose, I will just have to be very organised and utilise my time well.

Thank you for the best wishes :)
    Warm regards
    Beautiful Sole

14. K_Shep

K_Shep Welcome New Poster

Hi Beautiful Sole, I am doing the same thing but I have just been accepted to start at QUT Feb 2017, I have just completed the chemistry bridging course and I would highly recommend doing something similar if you are able. It has given me the confidence that I am able to learn new concepts easily and to sit exams, I think I would have been much more terrified starting in February if I hadn't done it. I come from a Corporate Finance background graduating from Uni the 1st time round in 2004, so its still a bit daunting :) Goodluck with making your decision.

15. BeautifulSole

BeautifulSole Member

Hi K_Shep,
    Congratulations on being accepted into QUT and on completing a chemistry bridging course. That's amazing, well done :D Chemistry can be challenging:eek:; I really hate balancing reactions; o_O they're pretty tough, but I really like organic chem:cool:! I am thinking about enrolling at La Trobe University in Victoria at the moment, unless things change and I decide on a different university. A friend of mine is doing the course now and she said a lot has changed since we were at uni in the early 2000's; I also graduated from uni in 2004.
    Why the change from finance? I'm sick of the corporate world. I did science but had to settle for a job in corporate, as it was so hard getting a job in drug development/clinical research, you really have to do take the academic path or work in a lab :confused: for a while for that.
    Anyway I wish you all the best with startling at QUT in February. Past exams are a great way to prepare for exams. With science based courses, if you do all the work, you will get the great marks.
    I'm pretty sure I want to do Podiatry; I definitely want to do something clinical. I am just going to stay in corporate a little longer to chip away at my HELP Loan for a while before getting another student :eek:loan:eek::eek::eek::eek:.
    It will be great to hear from you again with your thoughts on your course ;)
    Wishing you all the very best
    BeautifulSole