Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Sesamoiditis and soccer players

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Michele Palazzesi, Aug 28, 2011.

Tags:

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    What's the best conservative tretment in a player of sesamoiditis and fhl???

2. Ice

rest

NSAIDs

and Anything which reduces the GRF plantar to the 1st MTP joint.

3. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

Related threads:
    Other threads tagged with sesamoiditis

4. Jeff Root

Jeff Root Well-Known Member

Does the patient have a plantarflexed 1st met (i.e. 1st ray) and have an everted ff to rf relationship? If so, then an orthotic device with intrinsic ff valgus support and a sulcus length top cover with a 1/8 inch Korex (approx 3 mm) extension to the sulcus with a very local accommodation (aperture) under the sesamoid(s) tends to work very well to offload the 1st met and sesamoid(s).

5. mgrig

mgrig Active Member

Look @ the pts boots(cleats), would they be too big and there is a stopper sitting under the 1st met?

6. A very simple solution that works surprisingly well is to simply grind down the thickness of the shoe studs of the soccer boot that are in the 1st metatarsal head area. Generally grinding down these studs by about 2 mm greatly reduces the stress on the sesamoids during soccer. I have done this on numerous occasions with excellent results for many patients.

7. mgrig

mgrig Active Member

Kevin, do you find this works with 1st ipj pain also? Or could that potentially be more of a saggital Plane issue?

8. ggm2011

ggm2011 Member

Alternative/addition to Kevin's approach get molded boots (rubbers) that are normally for hard ground and get a cobbler to grind the back studs off and put in threads for screw in studs so the player can put in longer studs in the winter softer pitches but still keep the softer fore foot option.

9. efuller

efuller MVP

Grinding the studs is the same thing as kinetic wedge or a reverse Morton's extension

Eric

10. Lillypot

Lillypot Welcome New Poster

After experiencing "sesamoid" pain continually (during and after soccer and touch football), I eventually discovered the "reinforcing" pins directly under my 1st MPJ area (hidden under the inner sole). The plate containing the moulded studs is glued on, but these reinforcing pins are located only in 2 sites, the plantar- tip of toe area and sub-1st MPJ. I removed them with pliers, but unfort a lot of damage had already been done. Still suffering! I alternate with either offloading techniques or cushioning during the game, depending on which one provides the least pain at the time. I really think Kevin's idea will help further. I'm going to give it a go.