Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Burglar convicted with help of gait analysis by podiatrist

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by NewsBot, Apr 11, 2008.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Way to go Ian !

The BBC are reporting:
    Burglar jailed over unusual walk
    The man on the footage had distinctive bow legs
    Link to story

2. NewsBot

Articles:
    Re: Burglar convicted with help of gait analysis

An you can also watch the video featuring Ian!

3. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

netizens

:morning:
    There have been several case convictions on the precise evidence of forensic podiatry analysis so it is good to see this article. Possibly the most infamous case was the one involving Hollywood star, O J Simpson and the bloody footprint from his loafers. Greg Coyle in NZ was called as expert witness in a nasty murder trial a few years ago involving a gang killing and was able to present convincing evidence from foot prints in the sand which pointed to the likely culprits. In the UK Vernon Lever and Bill Kerr are two forensic podiatry luminaries in the courtroom whose expertise is regularly called upon.

There was a case in Australia not too long ago when the violent bank robber on the way to the scenes of the crime stood on a dog's dodo. Usually this might be considered lucky but alas for him the foul smelling addition to his shoes alerted the olofactory senses of all and conveniently left a tell tale gait pattern with for the law enforcement officers to follow. He was apprehended soon after. No ****! ;)

crimefighter toeslayer

4. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Hi

Thanks Newsbot. Think its clear that my days of Brad Pitt impersonation are over now. :pigs:

As with all news interviews there is a limit to what is presented by the TV on the day. There was considerably more than the knee bowing involved and more than what was indicated in the interview. In terms of CCTV analysis in the UK, Haydn Kelly also provides this service.

Couple of other Pods in the UK who are involved in the Pod side of Forensics include Dr Wesley Vernon and a colleague Harry (sorry cannot recall his last name). Their work strikes me as interesting as they are collecting data on shoe fit to foot. This technique is very simple in terms of data collection and I have wondered if the Arena folks could help by providing world wide data.

Cheers
    Ian

5. Cameron

Humble apologies, I meant Wesley Vernon. Age is a terrible thing.

aged toeslayer :empathy:

6. Should this kind of info be released?

It means that when Kevin is fleeing the seminar with Ed having planted 200lbs of semtex under the stage he'll know he can rule himself out of the enquiry by wearing a pair of propriceptive insoles on the way from the scene...

Nice one ian :drinks

Regards
    Robert

7. Dave Cluderay

Dave Cluderay Welcome New Poster

Hi,
    At 00.15 on Tuesday 15th April I set the sleep timer on my radio alarm to radio five live ( sad or what?)
    I was drifting off, having just scored the winning goal in the European Cup final I was just about to take the trophy from "Twirly",s finely manicured hands when I was jolted back to reality by the presenters telling the story of a man who walked like "John Wayne" being convicted on CCTV evidence with the help of a gait analysis expert witness Podiatrist Ian Linane and DNA results.
    They started sniggering and invited the listeners to ring in with amusing job titles.
    Perhaps Ian should apply for an Equity Card.
    What's amusing about "Gait Analyst"
    Dave Cluderay

8. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Ooh,

Am I giving out cups now?

Note to self: need new frock for prize giving extravaganza.

PS. (Well done Ian ) Xs ;)

9. Cameron

netizens

Alphonse Bertillon was a 19th century French law enforcement officer and biometrics researcher who created anthropometry, an identification system based on physical measurements. He died a lunatic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphonse_Bertillon

toeslayer

10. bob

bob Active Member

Have you thought of changing your name Ian? In 3 months time when this chap has been released from his 'six month' holiday paid for by our taxes, I'm sure he won't be too happy with you. Beware the biomech exam appointments with bow-legged patients in future!

11. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Hi Bob

Thanks for the concern. I have done my best to deflect attention away from me to the way podiatry is already involved in Forensic activity e.g. shoe to foot fit, use of patient records etc.

Name wise he already had the details the minute the report was provided to the defence solicitors so anonimity is not possible anyway.

Kevlar tunics from now on.

Cheers
    Ian

12. NewsBot

Articles:
    Gait Analysis in Forensic Medicine.
    Larsen PK, Simonsen EB, Lynnerup N.
    Laboratory of Biological Anthropology, Section of Forensic Pathology, Department of Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Blegdamsvej 3, DK-2200 Copenhagen, Denmark.
    J Forensic Sci. 2008 Jul 3. [Epub ahead of print]

13. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

The Times Colonist are reporting:
    Forensic gait analysis points to accused
    Similarities in Charlie-Chaplin walk seen in murderer and man on trial

Published: Tuesday, November 18, 2008

14. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

These is a bit of controversy now surrounding this one:

Canada.com are reporting:
    British expert cashes in on murder trial
    Victoria investigators enlisted forensic gait analyst who was paid $70,000
    Rest of story

15. NewsBot

Articles:
    Gait analysis and identification
    18th International Conference on Automation and Computing (ICAC), 2012

16. NewsBot

Articles:
    The development of a tool for assessing the quality of closed circuit camera footage for use in forensic gait analysis
    Ivan Birch, Wesley Vernon, Jeremy Walker, Jai Saxelby
    Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine; Volume 20, Issue 7, October 2013, Pages 915–917

17. NewsBot

Articles:
    Different case:

18. NewsBot

Articles:
  19. NewsBot

Articles:
  20. NewsBot

Articles:
    A review of the historical use and criticisms of gait analysis evidence
    Michael Nirenberg, Wesley Vernon, Ivan Birch
    Science & Justice; 7 March 2018

21. NewsBot

Articles:
    A review of the historical use and criticisms of gait analysis evidence.
    Nirenberg M, Vernon W, Birch I.
    Sci Justice. 2018 Jul;58(4):292-298.

22. NewsBot

Articles:
    Critical review of the use and scientific basis of forensic gait analysis
    Nina M. van Mastrigt, Kevin Celie, Arjan L. Mieremet, Arnout C. C. Ruifrok & Zeno Geradt
    Forensic Sciences Research : 09 Oct 2018

23. NewsBot

Articles:
    Forensic Gait Analysis and Recognition: Standards of Evidence Admissibility.
    Macoveciuc I, Rando CJ, Borrion H
    J Forensic Sci. 2019 Feb 21

24. NewsBot

Articles:
    A preliminary study investigating the overlay method in forensic podiatry for comparison of insole footprints
    Nicolas Howsam et al
    Sci Justice. 2022 Sep;62(5):494-505