Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatrist Deregistered

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Tuckersm, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    The Podiatrists Registration Board of Victoria has cancelled a podiatrists registration for failure to meet infection control standards
    Full Statement of reason and detrimination

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2006
  2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

Why so public? Is this standard practice in the profession and other allied health professions?

I can see the upside, in that the more we all know, the less chance there is for a deregistered podiatrist to turn up and work for an unsuspecting employer.

But the downside must be huge. If all accounts are correct, she has erred. But isn't deregistration alone punishment enough? A dangerous precedent IMO.

Ron

4. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Ron - you may be right. Its a very fine line. BUT, the documents and findings are in the public domain and the one linked to the thread above by Andy on Unprofessional Conduct Decision released by Vic Registration Board is particularly informative for all podiatrists (especially in Victoria) on our professional responsibilities.

Anthony also had a similar concerns about Are podiatrists over-represented in the courts? due to the number of news stories we report about naughty podiatrists.

In the UK, the HPC has a "name and shame" policy with publication of the names and allegations even before hearings! I published the allegations (minus the names, even though they were publically available) here: HPC Disciplinary Hearings as the nature of the complaints should be of interest to the Podiatry Arena community.

However, I take your point and have edited the name from the original post of this thread.

Thanks.

5. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

well said 'atlas'

6. I share Ron's concern regarding the "name & shame" policy which now seems standard practice amongst regulators, as the impact this may have on individuals can be enormous. Also, the fact that this post was initiated by a panel member (Stephen Tucker) who presided over this hearing, sits uncomfortably with me. The Victoria Registration Board has its own information website where such rulings can be quite properly entered into the public domain. Is it standard practice for panel members to disseminate Board judgements to whatever medium as they see fit?

Mark Russell

7. Johnpod

Johnpod Active Member

Couldn't agree more, Mr Russell, Sir.

I just need to remind you (and the world) that you, too, have indulged in the practice of propogating media without understanding or knowledge of its veracity.

Feels different when you are on the receiving end, doesn't it?

The principle of broadcasting allegations before any investigation as to substance is appalling. Back in Britain, there is no legislative basis for the HPC to behave in this way. The 'publish and damn' rules are of its own creation.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  8. Can't pretend to know what you're on about. Maybe you can remind me (and the world too, of course) what it is you think I've done?

Mark Russell

9. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

johnpod, sir .... this part of the world is wondering "where are you going with this?"