Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Mis-management of Pt's

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Sal, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sal

Sal Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi All,

Just out of interest.....................does anyone have any stories of mismanaged Pts?

Sal

2. pgcarter

pgcarter Well-Known Member

Plenty about other people's patients.....strangely enough I tend to think that all of my own have been dealt with appropriately....funny that.
    regards Phill

3. Sal

Sal Active Member

Hi Phill,

What sort of things have you seen with other people's Pt's?

Cheers,

Sal

4. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Hi Sal, interesting discussion? Interested to know why the question? Can be answered from many directions.

My first thoughts are generally on supporting ourselves and our colleagues. There are always many sides to a story.

There are many famous words out there about if you have never made a mistake you have never... can not remember the rest of it.

Cheers

5. Sal

Sal Active Member

Hi hj-ray,

I guess i was asking to see what sort of mismanagement occurs and by who, not specifically related to Podiatry. Just out of interest really.

Has nothing to do with mitakes, just interested in hearing about these types of stories.

Cheers,

Sal

6. MelbPod

MelbPod Active Member

Lets stick to the success stories

7. pgcarter

None of us are perfect, happy to admit that, and you are often helping your pt to the best of your ability by being prepared to say you can't help. This is not the forum to invite potentially misinformed and slanderous diatribes.....anybody in practice will see things that are less than ideal....move on and do your best to make it ideal without fault finding. It is the fault finding mind set that helps create secrecy and can make problems even worse.
    regards Phill Carter

8. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

Have you ever heard there are THREE side to a story.

Yours

Theirs

The Truth

As far as by "who"....there are legal issues that come to mind straight away if you do:butcher:, as others have suggested....lets move on

9. Sal

Sal Active Member

To all who have posted,

I seem to have been misinterpreted. But, by "who" i by no means mean a particular individual (AT ALL). I didn't make that clear because i just thought it would be assumed. Obviously not. I mean profession. I would not, in a million years, want to know who (ie individual). That is not at all where my interest/intentions lie.

It was a question out of interest and nothing more................thats what a forum is for, right?

In any case, now you know what i mean. And i hope thats cleared it all up.

Cheers,

10. pgcarter

Some of us are a little guilty of the "cut and come again" management rather than work to address underlying causes as well as possible to stretch out the interval between visits....is that the sort of thing you mean?
    regards Phill

11. Sal

Sal Active Member

To all who posted,

Okay, i see whats happened and why there's confusion. I got my post title wrong. Its meant to read "Mis-management BY Pt's" Not "of" Pt's.
    What i was interested in was stories about Pt's who have mis-managed their Rx plans. Like Pts who put their orthotics in the wrong shoes and things like that. And i don't want the individual's name at all.....just stories of things like this happening within our profession and within other professions.

I hope this clears everything up. Sorry for the confusion :wacko:

Cheers,

12. Dido

Dido Active Member

Here's one for you, Sal,
    Many years ago when I was training as a chiropody student an old boy came into the clinic with very dry skin. The clinician advised him to rub his feet with lanolin. There was quite some resistance to the idea, so the clinician suggested that he tried it for a week an then came back to see us. When he returned and removed his shoes and socks the smell of bleach nearly knocked us all down. The clinician hadn't realised that the the old boy was profoundly deaf and had misheard what had been said. He had been rubbing his feet with "Lanry":confused: which was the brand name of a bleach that was sold in that area where I used to live :D (I don't think it's on the market now).

There is a moral in this tale somwhere.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  13. Sal

Sal Active Member

Dido,

Thanks for the reply.
    You're joking? Poor old man must have been wondering why his feet were getting dryer.....................and whiter (lol).

Thanks again,

Sal

14. JGK

JGK Welcome New Poster

Re: Mis-management by Pt's

I know of a 3yo boy being serial cast for Met. Add. who had a fairly severe allergic reaction to the glue on the padding used under the plaster.

The mother assumed he was just generally sore and itchy from the casts and being a bit of a toddler / willful...poor little chappy cried himself to sleep for the first week. Of course it was itchy...he had a really severe rash. Thought she was doing the right thing in not bringing him in to be checked as there had always been resistance to casting.

15. MelbPod

MelbPod Active Member

I think this thread needs to be removed. Its not really helpful to anyone.
    I understand Sal's intentions were misunderstood, but it could get nasty.

16. Sal

Sal Active Member

If people feel this way about the thread, and it really isn't helpful then im happy for it to be removed...........only i have no idea how to remove it.

It was posted out of interest really. I hope i haven't offended anyone.

Cheers,