Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Pamidronate infusion timing in Charcot Rx

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by nicpod1, Dec 15, 2005.

1. nicpod1

nicpod1 Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Within my Diabetic foot team, we tend to infuse Pamidronate asap at the same time as immobilisation upon detection of an acute Charcot.

However, after chatting to a member of a local Orthopaedic team recently, they have been using the osteopaenia that comes with the Charcot to their advantage by casting the foot and ankle (normal 'serial' type casting) with the Charcot still active until they acheive a 'good' position. I don't even think they use Pamidronate.

This 'moulding' whilst the process is still active would seem to me to make a lot of sense and if you infused with Pamidronate only once the foot/ankle was in a good position, this would seem perfect!?

I haven't done a lit. search on this yet, but if anyone had any evidence-based rationale for timing of Pamidronate infusion or has had similarly good results with 'moulding', I'd be pleased to hear!

Thanks all!

2. Armstrong

Armstrong Member

Charcot and bisphosphonates

Dear Nicpod:

While the use of a bisphosphonate like pamidronate makes some degree of sense in the early stages of Charcot, there are few data to identify when or if it has significant benefit. Recent discussions surrounding modulation of another pathway, this one involving osteoprotegerin (OPG) and RANK-L, might prove more therapeutically beneficial. The best potential pharmaceutical candidate presently available for this is intranasal calcitonin. If you want a bit more on this, I would direct you to:

Jeffcoate, W. (2004). Vascular calcification and osteolysis in diabetic neuropathy-is RANK-L the missing link? Diabetologia, 47(9), 1488-1492.

Jeffcoate WJ, Game F, Cavanagh PR The role of proinflammatory cytokines in the cause of neuropathic osteoarthropathy (acute Charcot foot) in diabetes. Lancet. 366(9502):2058-61, 2005 Dec 10.

Cheers,

-DGA

David G. Armstrong, DPM, PhD
    Chicago, IL, USA

3. Michael Bilinsky

Michael Bilinsky Welcome New Poster

Bisphosponate drugs including, Zometa, Aredia & Fosamax , plus others are quite helpful, if the patient doesn't get "Dead Jaw" Osteonecrosis of the jaw and potentially affecting other joints. It has been reported by the International Multiple Myeloma Foundation that 1+/10 will get the condition and it is devastating to the patient's life. Much worse than the underlying condition. Read the articles on mpowelllaw.com and decide if you are comfortable prescribing these medications.
    Michael Bilinsky D.P.M

4. nicpod1

nicpod1 Active Member

Thank you Michael and David,

It would certainly seem that intranasal calcitonin would be a better arrangement, purely from a delivery point of view more than anything else as it takes 3-4 hours to inffuse the Pamidronate and it has to be done as a day-case appointment, incurring a waiting list of sorts!

As I am a Podiatrist in the UK, I do not prescribe this drug myself, rather the Consultant Diabetologists within the team instigate it. I have to say, it is used on all active Charcot (we probably see between 1 and 3 every month), but there has been no lock-jaw and the BNF (British National Formulary) does not list it as a complication (though it does have associated complications like myalgia etc), but I will look on the website for more info!

Have either of you had experience of serial casting the foot/ankle into a 'better' position whilst the Charcot is still active and before trying to stabilise the bone pharmacologically?

Many thanks for your help!

5. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Thats now the subject of litigation:

CTV.ca are reporting:
    Fosamax users seek class-action status
    Full story

6. NewsBot

Articles:
    The FDA have just issued this warning:
    Information for Healthcare Professionals
    Bisphosphonates (marketed as Actonel, Actonel+Ca, Aredia, Boniva, Didronel, Fosamax, Fosamax+D, Reclast, Skelid, and Zometa)

7. NewsBot

Articles:
    A comparative study of zoledronic acid and once weekly Alendronate in the management of acute Charcot arthropathy of foot in patients with diabetes mellitus.
    Bharath R, Bal A, Sundaram S, Unnikrishnan AG, Praveen VP, Bhavani N, Nair V, Jayakumar RV, Kumar H.
    Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Jan;17(1):110-6

8. NewsBot

Articles:
    Role of bisphosphonates in the management of acute Charcot foot.
    Durgia H et al
    World J Diabetes. 2018 Jul 15;9(7):115-126.