Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Orthotic use caused holes in shoe upper

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Freeman, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Freeman

Freeman Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Greetings from Nova Scotia.,

I saw a lady who had a fairly low arch in weight bearting and non weight bearing, complaining of plantar fascia/medial long arch strain, met pain, HAV bilaterally, (no pain). She could not walk without great pain. I made semi-rigid polypro orthotics for her, inverting her very pronated rearfoot 5-6 degrees, gave her a 2-5 in 1/8" Poron. I fit her into a pair Saucony Shadow 5's which keep her very straight.

She is totally painfree, feet feel wonderful like they haven't in years however she now has begun to wear holes in her socks (first toe) and also she is wearing through her shoes. My inclination is to think "holes are easier to live with than pain" however she has reminded me in her thick Scottish accent that in 62 years, "A havna wern shews n stockin's lak tha' bafor an' I dunna wish to begin tha' new!"

I believe she is walking with her medial long arch supported, first ray is stable, hallux is dorsiflexed and voila ...she is hitting the upper in her shoes. Is there something I can do to help or am I missing something.

Sincerely
    Freeman Churchill
    Halifax NS

2. Freeman

Freeman Active Member

If you respond to this after Friday and I do not respond for some time, please do not be offended. I am off to Ecuador for 2 weeks.
    Freeman

3. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

Maybe add first ray cut out or reduce thinckness of orthotic under first ray to facilitate MPJ motion. It could be that the orthotic is inducing a hallux limitus and causing an IPJ hyperextension --> hole in shoe.

4. efuller

efuller MVP

Are the holes dorsal? When the toe dorsiflexes more with orthosis treatment, it is the whole shoe and toe that dorsiflexes and the the jplantar surface of the toe stays in contatct with sockliner. You would have to look at EHL acitivity to explain holes dorsally.

Eric